Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Company car-pros and cons?

Company car-pros and cons?

Old Aug 20th 2009, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of
Default Company car-pros and cons?

Hi Guys and Girls,

Considering changing jobs and one I am interested in, (if I can get an interview, so unlikely!!) has a company car included as its a rep position and there will be a lot of travelling. Does anyone know what the tax implications are? I had an idea that the sting you really hard here in Oz by saying its worth $$ on your salary even though you don't actually see the cash and I'm a bit concerned that I would be paying so much more tax as it would take me into the next band up that I could in fact be worse off than I am now, but if I do get an interview its not the sort of thing you want to ask!!

If anyone has one and they know I would be grateful for some info. Would I be better off using my own car for example and claiming milage instead? Just want to be prepared as the scouts used to say.

Thanks!
Old Aug 20th 2009, 3:17 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Company car-pros and cons?

Employer pays Fringe Benefit Tax, not you.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Thanks for that!
Old Aug 20th 2009, 9:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its pretty much an "all-win" situation.

Good luck with the interview

Pete
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:15 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Or.... if you can consider taking the cash in lieu and novate.
Its not for everyone and there are pros and cons but it works for me - effectively have car paid for by company AND I save tax!