Company

Old Aug 9th 2004, 10:41 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Company

Just a quick question, if I wanted to set up a Company in Australia, do I have to be a permanent resident to do so? Or am I OK as temp? Or, I heard citizens only!!
Also, can I set it up before I go there?

Any help is appreciated!

TIA

Andrew
Old Aug 9th 2004, 10:46 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Company

I don't know the answer but I'd start looking at http://www.asic.gov.au

Jeremy

Originally Posted by andrew63
Just a quick question, if I wanted to set up a Company in Australia, do I have to be a permanent resident to do so? Or am I OK as temp? Or, I heard citizens only!!

Any help is appreciated!

TIA

Andrew
Old Aug 9th 2004, 10:55 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Any help is appreciated!

TIA

Andrew

I have a friend, now a citizen, but when she was on PR she owned a company here. I'm pretty sure that there are a few people on this forum who own their a company (though doesnt mean they set it up)

I know in the UK you dont need to be a citizen to set up a company, so longs you still meet all the requirements.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 12:09 am
owieb

Any help is appreciated!

TIA

Andrew
You can certainly setup a company on a temp visa, this is what I did. I was originally on a 457IE visa, but it may depend on what type of temp visa you have. Worth checking out the restrictions that apply to it.

To setup a company it must be registered in Australia i.e. have an Australian address and for a Pty you must have a minimum of 1 director resident in Australia and for a public company you need a minimum of 3 directors, 2 of which must be resident.

You can get an accountant to setup the company for you and use their address as the registered address, but you will need to comply with the above regarding directors.

Checkout www.business.gov.au for all the info.

Old Aug 10th 2004, 1:59 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

As already noted, the main constraint for a proprietary limited company is the need for the company to have an Australian resident director, although in practice an accountant or lawyer can form a company for you and will often be happy to act as a nominee director pending your arrival.

If you want to explore this more fully you might want to contact a Chartered Accountant colleague of mine by the name of John Griffiths. You can reach John via john - dot - griffiths - at - gatewayfp - dot - com, or T +61 (0)7 3226 1800

Best regards.

Any help is appreciated!

TIA

Andrew
Old Aug 10th 2004, 2:09 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
As already noted, the main constraint for a proprietary limited company is the need for the company to have an Australian resident director, although in practice an accountant or lawyer can form a company for you and will often be happy to act as a nominee director pending your arrival.

If you want to explore this more fully you might want to contact a Chartered Accountant colleague of mine by the name of John Griffiths. You can reach John via john - dot - griffiths - at - gatewayfp - dot - com, or T +61 (0)7 3226 1800

Best regards.
Alan, would this be the same John Griffiths who we contacted in March to do Dagboys tax return & we are still waiting for it almost 6 months later?

No offence to you, but I wouldnt be recommending him unless Andrew has a spare couple of years to wait.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 2:15 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm ... AC definitely not impressed with that news, as usually John is quick at following up enquiries.

If you want me to follow up please feel able to send me an email ...

Best regards.

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Alan, would this be the same John Griffiths who we contacted in March to do Dagboys tax return & we are still waiting for it almost 6 months later?

No offence to you, but I wouldnt be recommending him unless Andrew has a spare couple of years to wait.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 3:56 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by owieb
You can certainly setup a company on a temp visa, this is what I did. I was originally on a 457IE visa, but it may depend on what type of temp visa you have. Worth checking out the restrictions that apply to it.

To setup a company it must be registered in Australia i.e. have an Australian address and for a Pty you must have a minimum of 1 director resident in Australia and for a public company you need a minimum of 3 directors, 2 of which must be resident.

You can get an accountant to setup the company for you and use their address as the registered address, but you will need to comply with the above regarding directors.

Checkout www.business.gov.au for all the info.
Owieb
Thanks!
The link is very useful - far more so than the asics one.
I am coming on a 457IE too. (3 yr but will be applying for PR when I arrive).
When i arrive (October 5th) would I not be considered "resident" for the purposes of the business or do I need an accountant for that?
a limited company for a one-man marketing consultancy is all that is required
Thanks for your help.

Andrew
Old Aug 11th 2004, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Thrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant future

Good website, thank you.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 11:19 pm
owieb

Owieb
Thanks!
The link is very useful - far more so than the asics one.
I am coming on a 457IE too. (3 yr but will be applying for PR when I arrive).
When i arrive (October 5th) would I not be considered "resident" for the purposes of the business or do I need an accountant for that?
a limited company for a one-man marketing consultancy is all that is required
Thanks for your help.

Andrew
If you are planning on staying in Australia once you arrive i.e. not just validating and going back to the UK then you will be resident, so can setup the company. This is exactly what I did.

I just found an accountant to do all the paperwork and get it setup and it was done in a couple of days. Very easy.

The cost was about $1,100 (in WA). Just make sure that a Pty is suited to your needs.