Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Commuting in Perth. Where to live

Commuting in Perth. Where to live

Old Jan 19th 2011, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

flanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to all
Default Commuting in Perth. Where to live

Hi,

We are planning our return to Perth after deciding that we are not going to let the cost of living stop us returning back to persue the dream that I have had of living in Aus.

I currently commute 2.5hrs to work and am happy to commute by train for up to 40 minutes in Perth. What I am trying to work out is where is a good place by the coast that will enable this.

We did love Cottesloe, but I suspect the rents are very high in that area.

Thanks
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:12 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Commuting in Perth. Where to live

No one can help you unless you have a figure ofwaht your willing to spend.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

flanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Weebie
No one can help you unless you have a figure ofwaht your willing to spend.
< $2000 / month
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

OK, list of suburbs heading north from Fremantle, along the coast (perhaps someone else could add beach suburbs south from Freo). Suburbs just to the east (might be cheaper) in brackets:

South Fremantle (Beaconsfield, Hamilton Hill)
Fremantle (White Gum Valley, Hilton, Palmyra, East Fremantle, Bicton)
North Fremantle (Mosman Park)
Cottesloe (Claremont, Mt Claremont)
Swanbourne
City Beach (Floreat, Wembley Downs)
Scarborough (Doubleview)
Trigg (Karrinyup)
North Beach
Watermans Bay (Carine)
Marmion (Duncraig)
Sorrento
Hillarys (Padbury)
Mullaloo (Kallaroo, Craigie)
Ocean Reef (Connolly, Heathridge)
Iluka (Currumbine)
Burns Beach (Kinross)
Mindarie (Clarkson, Merriwa)
Quinns Rocks (Butler)

These suburbs would enable you to walk or cycle to the beach, or drive if you prefer. Plenty of other suburbs not too far from beach as well - the further east you go, usually the cheaper it will get (and considered less desirable for all sorts of reasons).

Look up suburbs on www.realestate.com.au or www.domain.com.au, put in your maximum and select the suburbs you want.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HelenTD
OK, list of suburbs heading north from Fremantle, along the coast (perhaps someone else could add beach suburbs south from Freo). Suburbs just to the east (might be cheaper) in brackets:

South Fremantle (Beaconsfield, Hamilton Hill)
Fremantle (White Gum Valley, Hilton, Palmyra, East Fremantle, Bicton)
North Fremantle (Mosman Park)
Cottesloe (Claremont, Mt Claremont)
Swanbourne
City Beach (Floreat, Wembley Downs)
Scarborough (Doubleview)
Trigg (Karrinyup)
North Beach
Watermans Bay (Carine)
Marmion (Duncraig)
Sorrento
Hillarys (Padbury)
Mullaloo (Kallaroo, Craigie)
Ocean Reef (Connolly, Heathridge)
Iluka (Currumbine)
Burns Beach (Kinross)
Mindarie (Clarkson, Merriwa)
Quinns Rocks (Butler)

These suburbs would enable you to walk or cycle to the beach, or drive if you prefer. Plenty of other suburbs not too far from beach as well - the further east you go, usually the cheaper it will get (and considered less desirable for all sorts of reasons).

Look up suburbs on www.realestate.com.au or www.domain.com.au, put in your maximum and select the suburbs you want.
Will check out those sites you mention. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Let us know when you've narrowed the search down a bit. Other things to consider:
  • public transport - is there a train station in that suburb, or do you have to get a bus to the nearest station?
  • lifestyle (cafe strip, pubs, "high street" or large shopping centres, dull suburbia, bush, busy/city noise)
  • leisure (cycle paths, jogging tracks, parks, sports clubs, etc)
Good luck
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Does anyone know how long the commute time is from Mandurah to the CBD ?

It would also be good to understand how long the commute times are from other areas. Does anyone know whether there are any books on this.

In the UK we have a book called Commuterland which describes the towns at each of the rail stops and what the area is like as well as the commute time into the rail terminus in London.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

If you take the train from Mandurah then it's 50-60mins approx.
I like Mandurah and make a point of going there for a visit each time we are in the Perth area.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:41 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Butler and my commute is about 60 minutes each way. However, I drive to Clarkson to get the train, so that adds about 10 minutes each way and I walk about 1 km from the station to my office. Transperth is currently building the rail line to come up to Butler, with plans to open it in 2012, so that will take 10 minutes off each way. We're about 5 minutes drive to the beach at Jindalee but being on the east side of Marmion Ave our house cost 1/2 what it would have if we built on the ocean side.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flanagaj
Hi,

We are planning our return to Perth after deciding that we are not going to let the cost of living stop us returning back to persue the dream that I have had of living in Aus.

I currently commute 2.5hrs to work and am happy to commute by train for up to 40 minutes in Perth. What I am trying to work out is where is a good place by the coast that will enable this.

We did love Cottesloe, but I suspect the rents are very high in that area.

Thanks
Very easy to compare by going to
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?ct=reset

keep clicking on Perth then paste in the search bar
---house rental Perth Australia-----
you will be given an option of For Sale / For Rent
Old Jan 20th 2011, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind that for many of the "beachside" suburbs, especially in the north, you will need to drive/cycle or get a bus to the station to get the train into central Perth.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 1:04 am
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/