Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Commuting Bayside/Brisbane to Tweed Heads - feasible?

Commuting Bayside/Brisbane to Tweed Heads - feasible?

Old May 25th 2005, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future
Default Commuting Bayside/Brisbane to Tweed Heads - feasible?

Can anyone give some advice on this. We plan to have boys in school/university in Brisbane with me working in Brisbane so will be renting in central Brisbane initially. However opportunity for PhD for hubbie in Tweed Heads. Is it just impossible to make that journey? Do we have to look at temporary accommodation for him?
Old May 25th 2005, 7:53 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commuting Bayside/Brisbane to Tweed Heads - feasible?

:scared: :scared:

Sue thats around 2hrs each way, not taking into account peakhour traffic.

Lets just say I wouldnt want to be doing it .
Old May 25th 2005, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

What about trains?
Old May 25th 2005, 8:01 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
What about trains?
The train only goes as far as Robina - 30 mins drive to Robina & then an hour & half or so on the train, so not much different (apart from missing the traffic of course).

I believe there is a bus that services Robina Station - I dont know what the timetable is like but my guess is it would take alot longer than driving to Robina.
Old May 25th 2005, 8:06 am
ABCDiamond

What about trains?
It's about 2 hours by train and bus from Central Brisbane, you can check train times here: http://www.citytrain.com.au/plan_you...able_fares.asp

example:
Roma Street (Platform 5) 5:33am
Robina (Station) 6:44am

Then change to a bus:
Robina (Bus Stop) 6:53am
Tweed Heads Twin Towns (Bus Stop) 7:34am

Old May 25th 2005, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Used to work with someone who lived in Northern NSW and commuted to CBD, and he claimed it only took him 60 minutes (arriveing for work at 08:00) but I find that VERY hard to belive as when I travel down to Tweed Heads it take me at least 60 min outside of rush hour (I live 10kms south of Brissy).

Their is a train from Robina (Southern GC) which takes about 1 hour to CBD and plenty of parking at Robina station. Their is a trainlink bus that connects with all the trains that then goes down to Tweed heads (must take at least 30 min from Robina to TH by bus).
Old May 25th 2005, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I got the times of the trains and buses from the TransLink web site and it seems to take 2 1/2 hours by public transport. I just wondered if there was something that locals might know that isn't on the websites, like private coaches or, I don't know really, inside knowledge? As the commute would start in Brisbane or Bayside driving the last bit from Robina isn't really possible. It would have to that number 11 bus.
Old May 25th 2005, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Thanks guys. I got the times of the trains and buses from the TransLink web site and it seems to take 2 1/2 hours by public transport. I just wondered if there was something that locals might know that isn't on the websites, like private coaches or, I don't know really, inside knowledge? As the commute would start in Brisbane or Bayside driving the last bit from Robina isn't really possible. It would have to that number 11 bus.
Sue
Have you thought about moving to somewhere on the GC - there are Uni's and schools here. If you need any help send me a pm.
Old May 25th 2005, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by debsy
Sue
Have you thought about moving to somewhere on the GC - there are Uni's and schools here. If you need any help send me a pm.
Well know a bit about the GC actually as mum and dad live in Broadbeach. Problem is we really want Jake to go to Brisbane State High and David to go to UQ. We have also thought about living half way between the 2. I've also been looking into Jon renting a student room during term time in Tweed Heads/Coolangatta. Problems, problems
Old May 25th 2005, 12:16 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

There is one other consideration in the commuting that you dont get from the timetables... it gets dark here early - and extremely dark very quickly. Dusk/Twilight is almost binary, from daylight to black night in 30-40 minutes. This seems pretty constant timewise throughout the year - so you're coming home in the dark / very dark... Its quite safe etc, its just that this is quite an emotionally draining psychological factor - ie feels later than it really is when you get home.
Old May 26th 2005, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

One disadvantage of living in QLD and working in NSW (or vice versa) is that NSW have daylight saying and QLD don't, so for 6 months of the year there is a 1 hour time difference between either side of the border (why QLD don't go for daylight saying is beyond me).

Something to do with cows getting confused over milking times :scared: :scared:
Old May 26th 2005, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Can anyone give some advice on this. We plan to have boys in school/university in Brisbane with me working in Brisbane so will be renting in central Brisbane initially. However opportunity for PhD for hubbie in Tweed Heads. Is it just impossible to make that journey? Do we have to look at temporary accommodation for him?

My Hubbie does the journey from Thornlands, Bayside (SE Brisbane) twice a week. He says you can drive, in rush hour, to Tweed Heads in 1hr 10mins. He actually travels to Kingscliffe, further down the coast and that takes him 1hr 25mins. He says it's not too bad and he hates driving !

Remember, in the summer you have 1 hour time difference and I tell you that gets confusing !