Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Commute time from Pennant Hills to CBD ?

Commute time from Pennant Hills to CBD ?

Old Apr 7th 2007, 11:28 am
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice
Default Commute time from Pennant Hills to CBD ?

Hi

Quick question, what would the average commute time be from the Pennat Hills area Sydney (not sure what suberb yet) to the CBD. Is the drive hellish. I hear there are quite alot of tolls, if so how much are we talking about on a daily basis.

Cheers

Michelle

Last edited by smoggieswilltravel; Apr 7th 2007 at 11:30 am. Reason: Did not put in which city
Old Apr 7th 2007, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

RubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really nice
Default Re: Commute time from Pennant Hills to CBD ?

Originally Posted by smoggieswilltravel
Hi

Quick question, what would the average commute time be from the Pennat Hills area Sydney (not sure what suberb yet) to the CBD. Is the drive hellish. I hear there are quite alot of tolls, if so how much are we talking about on a daily basis.

Cheers

Michelle
Check cityrail website. Look at the timetables. It's around a 45-50 train journey.

The drive from Pennant Hills to CBD - at rush-hour - could take over an hour....hit quite a few tolls and then have the trouble of finding and paying for the parking...unless your employer has parking.

Cheers
Old Apr 8th 2007, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

ex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to all

I live in the Hills district and yes, it will take you at least an hour to get into the CBD in peak traffic and yes, you will pay an absolute fortune for parking n the city if your workplace does not offer parking. And I mean a fortune!

The tolls.....you pay $4.40 each way to use the M2, and you will pay $2.20 or $2.40, (cant remember which)each way to use the Lane Cove Tunnel after the free month is up. And you will pay a $3.00 toll to cross the Harbour Bridge but nothing to return....all up, $14.50 approx. per day, just in tolls. Add to that petrol costs and parking and its not good. Taking a train or hillsbus is much cheaper. The trains tend to run on time most days but the bus, well,you take your chances some days but generally not too bad. The express bus from Baulkham Hills to the city takes around 40 mins and cost around $11-12 return per day, and the Hillsbus company do not offer cheaper fares for multi tickets,i.e. weekly or monthly tickets. I think it would be the same cost from Pennant Hills to the CBD. The train is cheaper than the hillsbus and you can purchase multi tickets for even less.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 1:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex Tassiemum
I live in the Hills district and yes, it will take you at least an hour to get into the CBD in peak traffic and yes, you will pay an absolute fortune for parking n the city if your workplace does not offer parking. And I mean a fortune!
The Sydney Opera House car park rates are among the cheapest in the CBD - A$39 per day on weekdays. Permanent parking rates are available.

On the other side of the CBD, there are car parks around Darling Harbour that offer reasonable rates. But traffic can be bad and there's no easy way to the NW suburbs from here.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:29 am
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice

Originally Posted by RubyPearl
Check cityrail website. Look at the timetables. It's around a 45-50 train journey.

The drive from Pennant Hills to CBD - at rush-hour - could take over an hour....hit quite a few tolls and then have the trouble of finding and paying for the parking...unless your employer has parking.

Cheers
Thanks for that, not a short trip then and the parking and tolls seems to be a bit pricey.

Cheers
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:30 am
UK to Brissy - August 07

Originally Posted by ex Tassiemum

The tolls.....you pay $4.40 each way to use the M2, and you will pay $2.20 or $2.40, (cant remember which)each way to use the Lane Cove Tunnel after the free month is up. And you will pay a $3.00 toll to cross the Harbour Bridge but nothing to return....all up, $14.50 approx. per day, just in tolls. Add to that petrol costs and parking and its not good. Taking a train or hillsbus is much cheaper. The trains tend to run on time most days but the bus, well,you take your chances some days but generally not too bad. The express bus from Baulkham Hills to the city takes around 40 mins and cost around $11-12 return per day, and the Hillsbus company do not offer cheaper fares for multi tickets,i.e. weekly or monthly tickets. I think it would be the same cost from Pennant Hills to the CBD. The train is cheaper than the hillsbus and you can purchase multi tickets for even less.
Ahhh pricey, thanks for the info.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

If you're going to live near any of the northern line railway stations, such as Pennant Hills, Beecroft, Thornleigh, Cheltenham, you would be much better off (financially and stress-wise!) catching the train in rather than joining the peak hour traffic. My parents live at West Pennant Hills and only ever used the train (Beecroft) to travel to work - driving + tolls can add up and at least you can read the paper on the train.

Buses are ok from the Hills as well, and are set to improve with more services being introduced this year. Due to the bus lanes, it takes a lot less time than driving and a trip into CBD from Baulkham Hills/Castle Hill is now only 35-45 mins. The new Lane Cove tunnel is fantastic and I can highly recommend it. I just accept tolls as a fact of Sydney life, but I figure that if one toll can save me 8-10 sets of traffic lights and numerous stop-starts and bottlenecks in a trip, then I don't mind paying the extra few dollars.