Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Commute from Mornington to Melbourne CBD

Commute from Mornington to Melbourne CBD

Old Aug 4th 2008, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

KoalaCaroline is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Commute from Mornington to Melbourne CBD

Hi, not sure if posted in the correct place, but what the hell. I would like to know if anyone knows the commute time from Mornington to CBD Melbourne please? Also whats the best, drive or public transport. Any help greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future
Default Re: Commute from Mornington to Melbourne CBD

Originally Posted by KoalaCaroline
Hi, not sure if posted in the correct place, but what the hell. I would like to know if anyone knows the commute time from Mornington to CBD Melbourne please? Also whats the best, drive or public transport. Any help greatly appreciated.
You can get an idea of times using the Connex website and WhereIs for driving. Probably train better for commuting.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

It very much where in the CBD you will work.

But a rough figure is between an hour and a half to an hour and three quarters.

The train from Frankston is quite slow and a lot of people drive in.

John
Old Aug 4th 2008, 12:10 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Hope this helps

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?num=10...-8&sa=N&tab=wl
Old Aug 4th 2008, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Hi thanks for replies, it definatley has helped. It doesnt seem to be that bad a commute. Hope husband thinks that way too. Hoping when we go over for rekkie in March he will decide Mornington is worth the travel.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if anyone actually does commute that far.

Furthest I know of is Kilmore to Melbourne, around an hour. Aussie Isnt known for its commuters... too much choice. That distance may not seem to bad in the UK, over here Aussies just dont do it.

In fact thats worthy of a thread... I'll start one tomorrow. Off to work now... I start at 11.30 pm, its now 11.18pm....
Old Aug 4th 2008, 2:23 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there - I don't want to interfere with your plans, but just to kind of put it in perspective a little, it's almost the equivalent of getting a train from Exeter to London every day for work.

Trust me, I'm speaking from experience here - I know it's beautiful but think about how this will impact on your relationship. Hubby will be working hard to give you all a new life & isn't going to be able to be part of that if he's out of the house something like 12-14 hours a day.

Why not look a bit closer to CBD, there are some lovely areas & look forward to spending those weekends exploring the peninsular - it isn't that far away for a weekend?

Wishing you all the best whatever you decide
Old Aug 4th 2008, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JenniGee
Hi there - I don't want to interfere with your plans, but just to kind of put it in perspective a little, it's almost the equivalent of getting a train from Exeter to London every day for work.

Trust me, I'm speaking from experience here - I know it's beautiful but think about how this will impact on your relationship. Hubby will be working hard to give you all a new life & isn't going to be able to be part of that if he's out of the house something like 12-14 hours a day.

Why not look a bit closer to CBD, there are some lovely areas & look forward to spending those weekends exploring the peninsular - it isn't that far away for a weekend?

Wishing you all the best whatever you decide
God how depressing. I really wanted to live by the sea, and had done alot of research about Mornington too. The thing is I can see you point, but I didnt really believe it was so far away. I had heard from people living there that it was max hour and half, not even that to Melbourne.?
Old Aug 4th 2008, 3:13 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

You can still live by the sea though

I don't know how much you have to spend on housing/rentals, but have you looked at the Bayside area? We're looking into Parkdale, Mordialloc & Aspendale, which are all round about 30-45 mins commute & all lovely beaches

It's hard I know, but you have to build into the equation how long it will take to get to the station, the route of the train & how many stops, some of them stop at every flipping lamp post. And for ages I thought there was a train from Mornigton & then discovered it was a bus to Frankston first - it was just the symbols for the service looked so similar!

Best of luck & feel free to pm me for a chat if you like

Last edited by JenniGee; Aug 4th 2008 at 3:16 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

we would have to rent first, as will be sponsored visa hopefully. We are coming to have a look in March, so will write down a few suburbs people recommend and have a look for myself.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 3:25 pm
Da bing bing!

We're heading over this Friday for a reccie, so will keep you posted - we're renting first too
Old Aug 4th 2008, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=JenniGee;6644417]Hi there - I don't want to interfere with your plans, but just to kind of put it in perspective a little, it's almost the equivalent of getting a train from Exeter to London every day for work.

Thats a bit misleading, how long would it take to drive from Exeter to London, not an hour and a bit that is for sure.

When we first moved over here we lived in Mount Eliza. I caught the train to the edge of the CBD, I would get a train just after 7.00am and would always be in my office before my start time of 8.30.

If you searc under buzzy bees name I am sure he has done a thread on this.

John
Old Aug 4th 2008, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=jond;6645547]
Originally Posted by JenniGee

Thats a bit misleading, how long would it take to drive from Exeter to London, not an hour and a bit that is for sure.

When we first moved over here we lived in Mount Eliza. I caught the train to the edge of the CBD, I would get a train just after 7.00am and would always be in my office before my start time of 8.30.

If you searc under buzzy bees name I am sure he has done a thread on this.

John
Thanks for that John, I have to admit got a bit panicky about the Exeter quote. I do think we will need to look into it abit more as at the moment hubby is used to the 15 min drive to work. Think it may be a shock to the old system. Just keeping fingers crossed that he will fall in love with Mornington and not hear a bad word.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=KoalaCaroline;6645645]
Originally Posted by jond

Thanks for that John, I have to admit got a bit panicky about the Exeter quote. I do think we will need to look into it abit more as at the moment hubby is used to the 15 min drive to work. Think it may be a shock to the old system. Just keeping fingers crossed that he will fall in love with Mornington and not hear a bad word.
It's more like Bournemouth to London, including the cost.

So if you can put up with that, then maybe.... If your Hubby can get a Job In Frankston or Dandenong, then you wont have much of a problem.

To put it in perspective, its a bit like if an Aussie wanted to Migrate to the UK saying, Hampshire/Dorset looks lovely, I'm going to buy a lovely house on the coast and work in London. Do-able, definitely, but at what cost.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=ozzieeagle;6645757]

It's more like Bournemouth to London, including the cost.

So if you can put up with that, then maybe.... If your Hubby can get a Job In Frankston or Dandenong, then you wont have much of a problem.

To put it in perspective, its a bit like if an Aussie wanted to Migrate to the UK saying, Hampshire/Dorset looks lovely, I'm going to buy a lovely house on the coast and work in London. Do-able, definitely, but at what cost.

The cost of public transport here is a lot less than the UK.

What does your OH do for a living, there are plenty of jobs outside the CBD.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.