Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Commute from Mornington to Melbourne CBD

Commute from Mornington to Melbourne CBD

Old Aug 5th 2008, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commute from Mornington to Melbourne CBD

Originally Posted by KoalaCaroline
Hi, not sure if posted in the correct place, but what the hell. I would like to know if anyone knows the commute time from Mornington to CBD Melbourne please? Also whats the best, drive or public transport. Any help greatly appreciated.
Hi, we moved to Melbourne 3 years ago and initially had our hearts set on Mount Eliza but feedback on this forum made us consider elsewhere. We now live in Beaumaris and are very glad that we changed our plans.

A colleague/friend has also just moved to Aus (last month) and had been insistent on living in Mount Eliza. After a few trips he quickly realised that it was far from ideal and has just taken a house in Sandringham.

Whilst Mornington is a beautiful spot and you will get an awful lot more for your money the commute will be a shocker. Expect at least 100 minutes into the CBD each way, possibly more. Driving is not really an option (in my opinion), so it'll be a drive to Frankston and then train from there. It's easy to get seduced by the big plot/house and the scenery.

The Bayside area offers a lot more - only 30 mins or so to the CBD, still by the beach and easier to get to the city, tourist attractions, restaurants, concerts, parks etc etc etc. As a result we do so much more as a family. We've been to more concerts in 3 years than the previous 15 years.

The downside is that you obviously get less for your money - but your quality of lifestyle will be better.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions !

Good luck,
Col
Old Aug 5th 2008, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I think I have already answered you on another forum but its way too far for me and I live near Mornington. When daylight saving comes in I do not want to spend the light on sitting in traffic or on a train for over an hour.

Frankston South, Carrum, Edithvale,Aspendale, Mordialloc, Parkdale Black Rock,Hampton, Sandringham are all close to the beach and would be better commute.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Katya_Mark has a spectacular aura aboutKatya_Mark has a spectacular aura aboutKatya_Mark has a spectacular aura about

I live in Mornington, and my husband commutes to the CBD. He has to leave every morning at 6.45 to get to work at 8.45 - he gets the bus to Frankston. The bus takes about 45 mins and then the train 1 hour. I then pick Mark up from the station at about 6 every evening. The drive by car is 20 mins, so he is home by about 6.20-30.

The commute is crap tbh, but Mark thinks it is worth it because we both love it here, and have a lovely house that we couldn't afford were we a bit closer. If you can drive to Frankston Station then you are looking at 20 mins by car and 1 hour by train.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katya_Mark
I live in Mornington, and my husband commutes to the CBD. He has to leave every morning at 6.45 to get to work at 8.45 - he gets the bus to Frankston. The bus takes about 45 mins and then the train 1 hour. I then pick Mark up from the station at about 6 every evening. The drive by car is 20 mins, so he is home by about 6.20-30.

The commute is crap tbh, but Mark thinks it is worth it because we both love it here, and have a lovely house that we couldn't afford were we a bit closer. If you can drive to Frankston Station then you are looking at 20 mins by car and 1 hour by train.
Has Eastlink made a impact on the Travelling times, and if so by how much. How much would it cost to use the tolls each week, say to Kingsway ?

I've been told by people over here that holiday at Rosebud occasionally, that the journey time from the North has been cut from an 2hrs 10 mins to about 1.45 mins ? Its probably quicker to get to Torquay... along the great ocean road that is.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 7:21 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I live in Sandringham ( 14kms from the city ) and the beach is at the bottom of our road which is a 1.5km walk downhill. I used to live in Hampton which is the same again.We've got LOADS of shops and restaurants here which is ideal without being in a built up inner city area.
We're all different, but I wouldn't consider living in Mornington areas if I had to travel into the CBD every day for work. No way!
Our train trip into the CBD from Sandringham is only 30mins and we always get a seat coz we're at the end of the line.
BUT - in saying that, hubbie leaves at 7.40 every day and I don't see him until 6pm. Imagine what that'd be like if he had more travelling to do.
There's no point hoping to come out here and live the dream if you only get to see each other for a few hours each day!

Mind you, that might be a blessing for some! ;o)

*pearly*
Old Aug 5th 2008, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Hi,

I live in Sandringham ( 14kms from the city ) and the beach is at the bottom of our road which is a 1.5km walk downhill. I used to live in Hampton which is the same again.We've got LOADS of shops and restaurants here which is ideal without being in a built up inner city area.
We're all different, but I wouldn't consider living in Mornington areas if I had to travel into the CBD every day for work. No way!
Our train trip into the CBD from Sandringham is only 30mins and we always get a seat coz we're at the end of the line.
BUT - in saying that, hubbie leaves at 7.40 every day and I don't see him until 6pm. Imagine what that'd be like if he had more travelling to do.
There's no point hoping to come out here and live the dream if you only get to see each other for a few hours each day!

Mind you, that might be a blessing for some! ;o)

*pearly*
I just checked something... Torquay is only 1 hr 15 mins from Melbourne... according to whereis.com and a much quieter run, I would imagine.

Makes me wonder why more people dont choose down that way. Especially as its on the great ocean rd, which is supposedly one of the most scenic parts of Australia..... Maybe it feels further from Melbourne. Just realised, there is a bypass being built around Geelong at present, that would knock at least 15 mins of that Journey. The train Journey from Geelong would be a lot quicker as well, as it runs express.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 5th 2008 at 7:47 am.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

KoalaCaroline is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for being honest. I need to know the little bits I wouldnt know about, not being in OZ yet. Its a shame, but I do see your points. I am gonna do some more research and see what other areas to look for. Mornington has made me realise that we would want to be by the beach and for it not to be too noisy.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 12:44 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Has Eastlink made a impact on the Travelling times, and if so by how much. How much would it cost to use the tolls each week, say to Kingsway ?

I've been told by people over here that holiday at Rosebud occasionally, that the journey time from the North has been cut from an 2hrs 10 mins to about 1.45 mins ? Its probably quicker to get to Torquay... along the great ocean road that is.
We are in Bonbeach and my husband works in South Yarra-he tried out the Eastlink a couple of weeks back and it took him longer than using Beach Road so I wouldn't get too excited about it..
Old Aug 6th 2008, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I always use Beach Road when I drive to the city its slow 60 but it keeps moving and not many lights. Brings me into South Melbourne and then I cross Kingsway and park in the Arts Centre. Easy drive.

A lot of people love Torquay not me though too much development and no trees they have ruined the hillside with huge houses
Old Aug 6th 2008, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=4Margaret;6649668]I always use Beach Road when I drive to the city its slow 60 but it keeps moving and not many lights.

And with a very few exceptions only has traffic coming out from the right hand side so it moves quite well and has great views.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Chief1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Beach road could possibly be the nicest road in a built up area in the world (except maybe for that twisty hill in San Fran but thats only like a couple a hundred meters long so doesn't really count), what a relaxing way to get to work every morning, why use the Nep or the freeway I say.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

We thought MrG would end up working in the CBD so were originally heading for Patterson Lakes however when we got here there weren't many rentals so ended up renting in Mt.Eliza. We're now in S.Frankston. MrG was going to get the bus and train from Frankston St. etc. however he ended up with a job in the SE which is a much better for us. Only 45mins away.

The parking at Frankston Station is also difficult as it fills up really quickly (by 7am) lots of people drive to the next station (Kananook) as it's easier to find a space. Our neighbour and lots of people in the area commute to the CBD daily. They often have crappy cars used specifically for the station run.

I think it depends to what you're used to both hubby and I have experienced commuting just over an hour to London for work so a similar journey doesn't seem bad. Also, luckily my husbands employers are pretty flexible so he can combine a couple of lates with earlys.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by KoalaCaroline
Hi, not sure if posted in the correct place, but what the hell. I would like to know if anyone knows the commute time from Mornington to CBD Melbourne please? Also whats the best, drive or public transport. Any help greatly appreciated.
We stayed with Ozzie friends in Devon Meadows on our reccie and one of them worked in the City took him about 1 1/4 hours each day, each way. He said he used the time to switch off on the journey home and the housing was much more affordable so they could have acreage.

On the last day there we needed to meet friends early in the City, we set off at 6.30am and was there before 8 - there was a lot of 'commuting' traffic but it took about the same time and we didn't manage to get on the route the first friends had told us (ie got lost, stopped looking at maps etc).
Old Aug 8th 2008, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I wonder if anyone actually does commute that far.

Furthest I know of is Kilmore to Melbourne, around an hour. Aussie Isnt known for its commuters... too much choice. That distance may not seem to bad in the UK, over here Aussies just dont do it.

In fact thats worthy of a thread... I'll start one tomorrow. Off to work now... I start at 11.30 pm, its now 11.18pm....
Bendigo and Ballarat to CBD is a common commute but you are right that it is less common c.f. UK. My childhood dentist used to commute from Torquay (not Devon) to Williamstown every day by car to Geelong and train for over 20 years.

I see you are a fellow Neil Young afficionado!

OzTennis
Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Although Mornington is beautiful it is a long commute in to the city as there is no train station in Mornington you would first have to commute to Frankston and then catch the train in to the city. Driving by car I would allow up to 2 hours in rush hour. Bayside may be a better option or alternatively finding a job closer to home. Good luck with the move

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.