Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Commonwealth Migrant Account - Transferring AU$ while in UK???

Commonwealth Migrant Account - Transferring AU$ while in UK???

Old Aug 8th 2005, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough
Default Commonwealth Migrant Account - Transferring AU$ while in UK???

Hi everyone (wow 3 threads now in one day I must be up to my personal record!) just after some advice.

I have just created a forward contract with Moneycorp to purchase some AU$ in February 2006 and am also looking at setting up an account with the Commonwealth bank whilst here in the UK. I have to nominate an account that I will transfer the converted money into and was going to nominate the Commonwealth Bank (was going to transfer it a few months before we actually left) but notice on all the forms everything is in £. Is it possible to transfer AU$ straight into the UK account...they wont do anything spooky like convert it back to £ and then back into $ or anything crazy?

Anyone done this?

Cheers
Old Aug 8th 2005, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

alrobson will become famous soon enoughalrobson will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Commonwealth Migrant Account - Transferring AU$ while in UK???

Hi Mr FlibbleUK,

I was also worried about this!!

When you open the account you get a London account number which you can transfer sterling into but you can also get the Australian account number off them and transfer the money in dollars straight into that. This is what I have done and all seems to be well so far, but I still need to confirm with CBA that the money has arrived in Oz. I understand that if the money arrives in dollars then they will transfer it for you (to where ever in Oz) and they won't convert it back to sterling.

Hope that helps.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by alrobson
Hi Mr FlibbleUK,

I was also worried about this!!

When you open the account you get a London account number which you can transfer sterling into but you can also get the Australian account number off them and transfer the money in dollars straight into that. This is what I have done and all seems to be well so far, but I still need to confirm with CBA that the money has arrived in Oz. I understand that if the money arrives in dollars then they will transfer it for you (to where ever in Oz) and they won't convert it back to sterling.

Hope that helps.
Cheers for the info!
Old Aug 8th 2005, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

the bank we have found useful is HSBC Oz- we have HSBC bank in UK and transferring money HSBC to HSBC has been as easy as anything. They also give fantastic rates for on-line banking with normal internet access (BPAY for household bills, 4 free any bank ATM withdrawals a month etc) - pay 5.2pct interest.
Downside is they have few branches in Melbourne (3/4 I think) but more in Sydney.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 12:44 am
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pomster
the bank we have found useful is HSBC Oz- we have HSBC bank in UK and transferring money HSBC to HSBC has been as easy as anything. They also give fantastic rates for on-line banking with normal internet access (BPAY for household bills, 4 free any bank ATM withdrawals a month etc) - pay 5.2pct interest.
Downside is they have few branches in Melbourne (3/4 I think) but more in Sydney.
2 other downsides we found with hsbc here are that their eftpos (switch) card is not accepted as widely as most....

Also whilst we were very happy with customer service in Uk they mainly cater to chinese/ hong kong immigrants here so their customer service staff often speak very poor english. we regularly found it frustrating and eventually after reviewing the market place changed to ST george bank a few months ago and have been happy with them...
Old Aug 9th 2005, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjonboy
2 other downsides we found with hsbc here are that their eftpos (switch) card is not accepted as widely as most....

Also whilst we were very happy with customer service in Uk they mainly cater to chinese/ hong kong immigrants here so their customer service staff often speak very poor english. we regularly found it frustrating and eventually after reviewing the market place changed to ST george bank a few months ago and have been happy with them...
Maybe they adjsut according to the market. Melbourne central branch (edge of Chinatown) is very Chinese oriented. At camberwell, they are not. We use mainly online banking and have found them excellent. Also switch is not used widely anywhere- credit cards are by far more widely accepted.