Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Commonwealth Bank - be warned - charges

Commonwealth Bank - be warned - charges

Old Dec 24th 2013, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commonwealth Bank - be warned - charges

Just to note , the ANZ are currently defending or have just defended a class action regarding fees and charges, I'm not sure where the case sits at the moment , it may pay you to have a bit of a gooooooogul to see what is going on with that case , I happily think all does not bode well for the ANZ.

My prediction based on long observation of the banking system however is that no matter what the decisions of the courts the ANZ will find new and more disgusting ways to keep skimming the fiscally vulnerable , it's now the nature of the devious and morally bankrupt financial system to rape the defenceless.

Last edited by BASHO; Dec 24th 2013 at 10:20 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Return2oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Do all the banks charge for overseas inward transfers?
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 12:22 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Return2oz
Do all the banks charge for overseas inward transfers?
I've never been charged by my bank for any transfers... just for reference, that's the Commonwealth
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I've never been charged by my bank for any transfers... just for reference, that's the Commonwealth
I've been with the Commonwealth for years and have been more than happy with them. I don't pay fees on my accounts or for transfers. Whatever fees I do pay are always clearly stated and I feel reasonable.

Like any bank they will always be ready to 'bite' the unaware, so be aware...be very aware
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Further to my last post...I also do not pay fees on my ANZ account, my U-Bank account or my UK Barclays account. All in all I'm very satisfied with the 'free' service they provide
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PominOz1
I have been in dispute with CBA regarding charges for inward deposits in AUD into my CBA account. I did two identical deposits one in Feb 2013 the other in Oct 2013. Neither of the "charges" showed on my bank statement.

This is obviously very disturbing and also I could have offset the charges against my tax. CBA tried to put a gagging order on me, but I have refused.

I will happily post the excuse and "offer" from CBA once I have redacted our name and address.
We bank with CBA and have had two recent transfers sent from the UK to our accounts here. How do you know you have been charged the fee if they don't show on the statement? I am curious so we can check our accounts here.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 8:00 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
We bank with CBA and have had two recent transfers sent from the UK to our accounts here. How do you know you have been charged the fee if they don't show on the statement? I am curious so we can check our accounts here.
Does the outward amount match the inward amount?
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

Yes, it does. Which makes me think we should be okay.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 3:24 am
Just Joined

glenn_downunder is an unknown quantity at this point

most banks around the world charge a fee for receiving an international payment. If you use a broker that sends their payments from Oz then you will avoid the charge
Old Jan 8th 2014, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Comm Bank account and they were charging me a fee for just keeping the account (yeah I know some banks in Oz do that). So I tried to close it and they said they would stop the fee if I kept it open.

Can you believe the cheek of these bastards. So if anyone is getting charged a fee, just to keep money with them, close it and go elsewhere.

I do most if my banking through HSBC now. I have free withdrawals through HSBC, St George and Westpac ATM's. Aussie banks are the pits.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

PominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond repute

An update - The Banking Ombudsman is deciding if they can make a judgement on the matter; CBA do not want it to go to judgement as that will then set a precedence.

Thank-you for all posting your experiences with CBA, I'll print it and pass it onto ASIC who are still investigating the matter.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glenn_downunder
most banks around the world charge a fee for receiving an international payment. If you use a broker that sends their payments from Oz then you will avoid the charge
Westpac charge me a fee about $30 - $40 when my overseas employer puts money in to my Australian Account!
Old Jan 31st 2014, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

PominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond repute

But does it show on your bank statement? That's the issue and that's why they're under investigation by ASIC.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Westpac charge me a fee about $30 - $40 when my overseas employer puts money in to my Australian Account!
Fire them. Use an international bank.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PominOz1
But does it show on your bank statement? That's the issue and that's why they're under investigation by ASIC.
No it doesn't, they just 'take' the money and hope that you don't notice the difference between what is transferred and what you receive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.