Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Commonwealth bank - transferring money and shipping/flight deals info

Commonwealth bank - transferring money and shipping/flight deals info

Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:11 am
Just Joined

melbal35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Commonwealth bank - transferring money and shipping/flight deals info

Hi - Recently went to see the Commonwealth bank here in London re transferring cash etc. Has anyone used them for transferring all their dosh? Were they any good or one big rip off? Also, they mentioned shipping and flight deals they can help set up with Allied Pickfords/Qantas should we choose to transfer our money with Commonwealth- has anyone used this service also and was it worth it - ie: how much was it and how much did you save?!
Also - if anyone can recommend a better, cheaper, more financiallly beneficial way of transferring the proceeds of our house sale, savings etc etc and getting access to it once we arrive in Oz, I would be very grateful - know this stuff has been covered (extensively) before here but an explanation suitable for a five year old would be much appreciated!
Thanks!
Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:22 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commonwealth bank - transferring money and shipping/flight deals info

Originally Posted by melbal35
Hi - Recently went to see the Commonwealth bank here in London re transferring cash etc. Has anyone used them for transferring all their dosh? Were they any good or one big rip off? Also, they mentioned shipping and flight deals they can help set up with Allied Pickfords/Qantas should we choose to transfer our money with Commonwealth- has anyone used this service also and was it worth it - ie: how much was it and how much did you save?!
Also - if anyone can recommend a better, cheaper, more financiallly beneficial way of transferring the proceeds of our house sale, savings etc etc and getting access to it once we arrive in Oz, I would be very grateful - know this stuff has been covered (extensively) before here but an explanation suitable for a five year old would be much appreciated!
Thanks!
the commenwealth bank is probably the largest bank in oz, it used to be government run to give you some idea. Best to shop around though for money transfer but I would expect that since the commonwealth is in London also it may be one of the best starting points for price shopping
Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:23 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commonwealth bank - transferring money and shipping/flight deals info

Thanks!
i`ve just come off the phone to the commonwealth in london to transfer some money for our land deposit.
looked on bbc`s website and got a rate 1.2 lower so not too bad but because i`m only transferring a small amount and not all i get stung 15 quid for my trouble the other problem i`ve had is netbanking had trouble starting it up and have to phone sydney to activate(pain in the arse)
Old Oct 10th 2005, 10:40 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wengerboy
i`ve just come off the phone to the commonwealth in london to transfer some money for our land deposit.
looked on bbc`s website and got a rate 1.2 lower so not too bad but because i`m only transferring a small amount and not all i get stung 15 quid for my trouble the other problem i`ve had is netbanking had trouble starting it up and have to phone sydney to activate(pain in the arse)
If you're transferring smaller amounts you might consider www.tranzfers.com, they charge £7 for transfers under £5K, I've used them twice and cant fault them
Old Oct 10th 2005, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

monkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant future

Thanks!
Hello.
yes yes and yes i think so. Much help? Probably not my wife and myself are moving at the begining of Dec and we went to see the commonwealth bank and did the interview with daniel who I have to say is a really nice bloke from Pickfords and we have just today booked our flights with Quantus with the 40kgs weight allowance so we are going down that path but hav'nt actually walked it yet. Much help? Anyway good luck with everything! :scared: Stuff.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Mind if I ask what you actually saved going down the Pickfords/Qantas road in comparison to booking your own flights and removalists?? Thanks - forgive the nosiness!
Old Oct 10th 2005, 12:40 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

heres some of what Ive learned about Money transfers after 6mths in Aus.

www.hifx.com
Hifx are ok but some people have started to complain that they arent that helpful. They were ok for me b ut I know a bit about foreign exchange dealing so I was ok with them and understood what was going on. They are a proper broker . Also you have to register with them here in Aus an din UK seperately and all the trading is done on phone with faxed letters requiring signature etc.

The cheapest way to spend UK money in Aus if you are still in Uk is to get to the Nationwide and open an account and bring that visa card with you. They dont mind you moving abroad so long as you have a UK correspondence address (mum/friend/anything). Their rate on using Visa cards inAus is the interbank rate (brilliant) with no extra charges, nearly all banks charge an extra 2.75%

I use tranzfers.com to do my transfers, I used HIfX for my 100K$ bond but since then Ive used transfers for the rest of my money. They are totally online, 100% helpful, will ring you to help if you need it. You can track and trace the transaction fully online , you can put the money into Tranzfers and then elect to 'buy' the currency when you need it or the rate is good and 24hrs later it is in your aussie account , or you can just 'auto trnsfer' and it happens as soon as. They bank with Barclays in UK so think about a barclays account before you cmoe out that helps with speed of transfers. But Barclays online has a 2k limit per day for transfers

Most banks have transfer limits - so think about how youre going tomove your moeny after youve left because popping into the branch to sign a form becomes a 2000pound + 24hrs exercise ;-)

If you do register with Tranzfers please please pretty please use my referral ID which is
http://www.tranzfers.com/refer.asp?r=ijcollins

Or if you dont want to give me brownie points :-( then its www.tranzfers.com
they are the same company as ozforex.com
Old Oct 10th 2005, 12:41 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

You can also do DIY shipping and www.expedia.co.uk , www.airlinenetwork.co.uk are good flight sites.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

bridiej can I do this for the Assurance bond of $5000 that I have to send to my sister?

cheers hun

lace x
Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

monkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant future

Mind if I ask what you actually saved going down the Pickfords/Qantas road in comparison to booking your own flights and removalists?? Thanks - forgive the nosiness!
not at all, hope i can help. Not sure if we saved much but every company we seem to ask gave us more or less the same price where packers were concerned around the £3000 to £4000 mark. As for the flights they seemed really good compared to most other airlines. We have a 4 bedroomed house and we thought not that much stuff untill you put it into per square foot then you can work out a price. Well at least thay can. After asking the "did anyone use Picfords " question on here got some good feedback thought why not. As for the flights the prices we got were £360 plus tax worked out at about £460 each one way to Perth with the extra baggage allowance and we are flying on the 4th of dec when prices start to go up. Well hope that helps. The thing is it does pay to shop around but for how long is up tp you. Good luck.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Commonwealth bank - transferring money and shipping/flight deals info

That's brilliant, thanks. Good luck for the 4th (and beyond!)