Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Commonwealth Bank London migrant banking

Commonwealth Bank London migrant banking

Old Apr 6th 2004, 7:17 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Commonwealth Bank London migrant banking

Went to CBA London today for pre-arranged meeting.

FYI, I did think that we would have a group presentation, Q & As and then a personal meeting to set up an account if requested. It turns out, however, to be a one-on-one in a room.

They did fit us in early (we had encountered no traffic) but it was all rather unstructured, and information about accounts, security, access and the like only seemed to be forthcoming if we asked - there was little evidence of a coherent plan to explain everything from the bottom up. (We did both have colds, which may have made us more thick than usual).

No carrier bag, either.........

All in all I have to wonder exactly why they structure it around having a UK account as well as the Oz one. It doesn't make that much sense except as a means of making you use them for cash transfers.

Can't comment on their service but I wouldn't go up to the smoke especially to get information about their products. Fortunately we were able to get several other things done so it was not a wasted day.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 7:24 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commonwealth Bank London migrant banking

Originally posted by Rog Williams
No carrier bag, either.........
:scared::scared: Well that was a wasted journey then
Old Apr 7th 2004, 11:08 am
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point

For me the comm Bank is just a vehicle to get my money over to Oz. The account was setup last year and is sat there totally empty.

Once my house sells, I will transfer the Forward Contract I have done with HIFX into the Comm bank account. They will transfer my A$ to Melbourne for me.

When I arrive in Melbourne I go into the HSBC bank, open an account, transfer my money into my new account and close my Comm bank account.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 6:02 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ianj
For me the comm Bank is just a vehicle to get my money over to Oz. The account was setup last year and is sat there totally empty.

Once my house sells, I will transfer the Forward Contract I have done with HIFX into the Comm bank account. They will transfer my A$ to Melbourne for me.

When I arrive in Melbourne I go into the HSBC bank, open an account, transfer my money into my new account and close my Comm bank account.
While I was in CBA I did a comparison of rates for changing £50k into AUS$.

Best was Fidelity (2.4126), next was CBA at 2.40 and last was HIFX at 2.3910.

There was of course a difference of a couple of minutes in the quotes, but it is still over $1000 difference!
Old Apr 8th 2004, 9:05 am
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot depends on how much you are transferring as to the rate you will get. You will very rarely get the rate advertised as these are 'inter-bank' rates used for transferring shed loads of money.

I purchased mine on a forward contract 3 weeks ago when the rate was at the 6 month high. I was lucky enough to get 2.45 so my £50K netted me A$122,500. Only have to pay 10% of that now and the remainder when I complete the contract (which will be when my house sells).

Just before I go I will do a 'spot' with what I have left from my house sale and will take my chances on that day. I am happy though as its one less thing to worry about and having kept an eye on the rate since I jumped in it seems I did it at the right time. It may go up by the time I sell and go but thats life. If it stays where it is or goes down even further then I am a happy man.

Takes your chances, I am happy with what I got and I have one less thing to consider. Nobody knows what the market will do (not even the dealers, or they would all be millionaires) so go with what you feel comfortable with.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 10:25 am
Banned

jumbo will become famous soon enoughjumbo will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Rog Williams
While I was in CBA I did a comparison of rates for changing £50k into AUS$.

Best was Fidelity (2.4126), next was CBA at 2.40 and last was HIFX at 2.3910.

There was of course a difference of a couple of minutes in the quotes, but it is still over $1000 difference!
How do I contact Fidelity please?
Old Apr 8th 2004, 11:32 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by jumbo
How do I contact Fidelity please?
0800 800 700

You buy Fidelity Currency Fund units (they have about a dozen currencies) in Aus$. They quote you on the phone, and you obviously get a better rate for higher amounts. The second million is best....

It takes a day or two to get the paperwork but when you want to they will sell the units - you keep the number of $$ you went in at plus the interest that the fund accumulated - and wire the proceeds as you wish. They do not charge for the transfer.