Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Commonwealth Bank Fees and Australian Consumer Association

Commonwealth Bank Fees and Australian Consumer Association

Old May 4th 2005, 9:55 am
ABCDiamond

Default Commonwealth Bank Fees and Australian Consumer Association

From The Age 4/5/05

The Australian Consumer Association has slammed the Commonwealth Bank over its new fees for internet banking, which start on July 1.

The charge hits the bank's 1.9 million Netbank customers who do their banking online.

They will be able to transfer just three free payments to other accounts each month before they are slugged 50 for each additional payment.

They will be hit for direct debits for utilities bills, and even transfers to their own accounts, if they are not linked to their Netbank accounts.

Scheduled payments - where a customer nominates a future date for payment - will also be hit.

Spokesman Patrick Southam says it is bringing in the charges to recoup part of the cost of a $100 million, five-year upgrade of its Netbank site and online services, which were first launched in 1997.

"The site has had a dramatic overhaul, and has increased security features,'' he told theage.com.au. "And customers can use a range of new services, for example our international transfer service, at $22, which is less than you'd pay in the branch."

Two links mentioned in the article
www.choice.com.au
www.flickyourbank.com.au

Old May 4th 2005, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Commonwealth Bank Fees and Australian Consumer Association

ABCDiamond,
Dont understand the banking system there. In UK, banking is free, and the banks make huge profits each year. Why do they charge. ? Thanks for the article. Just signed up with them. Will look around for another bank once i get settled.

chris
Old May 4th 2005, 10:12 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by chr1sarter
ABCDiamond,
Dont understand the banking system there. In UK, banking is free, and the banks make huge profits each year. Why do they charge. ?
Why do they charge. ? Same reason as some people emigrate ..... Because they can !!

There are a few free banking solutions here, but until people vote with their feet, they will continue to charge.

Old May 4th 2005, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Why do they charge. ? Same reason as some people emigrate ..... Because they can !!

There are a few free banking solutions here, but until people vote with their feet, they will continue to charge.

Perhaps when i get there, i will start the revolution.
Old May 4th 2005, 10:20 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chr1sarter
ABCDiamond,
Dont understand the banking system there. In UK, banking is free, and the banks make huge profits each year. Why do they charge. ? Thanks for the article. Just signed up with them. Will look around for another bank once i get settled.

chris

Don't know why they charge, its probably got something to do with share holders wanting more profits. I had a Commonwealth account for 10 years and managed to save up a good deal of money, so they advised me that I should change bank accounts so that I could earn more interest. So now I make about $2 interest a month, but, the account keeping fee is $5 a month.