Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Commonwealth Bank Australia

Commonwealth Bank Australia

Old Aug 20th 2004, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Manchester UK to Sydney, then decided Gold Coast, stayed there for 8 months and now back in sydney
threlly is on a distinguished road
Default Commonwealth Bank Australia

hi there,
i was in oz for a year in 98/99 and had an account with CBA, i still get statements from them, even though i only have a few $ in the a/c. will i still be able to use this a/c when i get to oZ? how do i find this out? i still have a statement from Feb with all my details on? what should i do? can i use while i am still in the UK? also i notice they have an internet a/c, would i be able to join up to this
cheers for any help
Old Aug 20th 2004, 2:30 pm
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice
Default Re: Commonwealth Bank Australia

Originally Posted by threlly
hi there,
i was in oz for a year in 98/99 and had an account with CBA, i still get statements from them, even though i only have a few $ in the a/c. will i still be able to use this a/c when i get to oZ? how do i find this out? i still have a statement from Feb with all my details on? what should i do? can i use while i am still in the UK? also i notice they have an internet a/c, would i be able to join up to this
cheers for any help

As far as I am aware, any financial institution has to give advanced notice if any account is being closed due to inactivity. As you have some money in the account and you are still receiving statements, I think that it is fair to say that the account is still live.
Just for piece of mind, why not see if there is an internet facility for this account and transfer a few quid into it. Alternatively, drop them an email explaining it all.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by threlly
hi there,
cheers for any help
Yep, I would think that the account is still live if they are still sending you statements. I had a wespac account open for 9 years whilst I was over here in the UK. No funds ever went into it, i just used it when I went home for holidays.

When you say you have only a few dollars in the account, I don't wish tobe nosey or anthing, but depending on what sort of account you have, I would check whether there is a limit that you have to uphold, otherwise be liable to bank charges.

I found this out the hard way. when I went home one year, I went to withdraw funds from an ATM,and found a Nil balance in my account. I knew that there were funds in there, (at least there was until Westpac got their hands on it), but unbeknown to me at the time, there was a $500 limit and if the balance went below this, they would charge me, I think $2.50 a month. Having shortly after closed the account, I ended up owing them money!

with regards to internet banking, you should be able to register for this via their website

Regards
Old Aug 20th 2004, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Manchester UK to Sydney, then decided Gold Coast, stayed there for 8 months and now back in sydney
threlly is on a distinguished road

Hi there,
i only have $11 in the account and its been there since 99. i was hoping that i could transfer my money from here (UK) to there (OZ) so its in oz when i get there.
cheers

Originally Posted by sassie
Yep, I would think that the account is still live if they are still sending you statements. I had a wespac account open for 9 years whilst I was over here in the UK. No funds ever went into it, i just used it when I went home for holidays.

When you say you have only a few dollars in the account, I don't wish tobe nosey or anthing, but depending on what sort of account you have, I would check whether there is a limit that you have to uphold, otherwise be liable to bank charges.

I found this out the hard way. when I went home one year, I went to withdraw funds from an ATM,and found a Nil balance in my account. I knew that there were funds in there, (at least there was until Westpac got their hands on it), but unbeknown to me at the time, there was a $500 limit and if the balance went below this, they would charge me, I think $2.50 a month. Having shortly after closed the account, I ended up owing them money!

with regards to internet banking, you should be able to register for this via their website

Regards