Reload this Page >

Commonwealth Bank Application Form

Commonwealth Bank Application Form

Old Apr 20th 2002, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

glenn_somers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Commonwealth Bank Application Form

Hi All,

Does anybody know if I can apply for an Australian bank account whilst I am still living here in U.K. I was wondering if they would open me an new account even though I dont yet have an Australian address. I need to be able to deposit money over here in both sterling and Aus Dollars. If any one has any info (like whee to get application form for example) I would be most grateful.

Cheers
Old Apr 20th 2002, 9:16 am
ndaltonb

Default Re: Commonwealth Bank Application Form

Hi Glenn,

Definately, yes you can open an account whilst still in the UK. Teh number you need is
Migrant Banking Services -
tel 020 7710 3990
fax 020 7710 3939
[email protected]

Call them and they will send all the forms.

All they need to know is where you intend to go and they will open an account in that town, e.g. Brisbane, Perth, Sydney etc.

We had a little resistance as we hadn't got our visa but we just said "our financial advisor has recommended we open an account now" and there was no problem.

Hope this helps

Nigel db

Old Apr 21st 2002, 2:18 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

I would recommend using HSBC rather than CBA - the fees are lower, interest rates are better and you get reduced telegraphic transfer fees between banks within the HSBC group. We opened our accounts in UK at the local Brisbane branch no worries and transfer cash back and forth as required by internet banking - works great.
Old Apr 21st 2002, 6:13 pm
dan

I checked up the hsbc website and cant locate the fees for personal checking a/c. Would appreciate if you can list out the fees and interest rates differences between the two banks. If everything looks green, I want to open an a/c with HSBC and get a credit card from them. If I do so, can I retain the same credit card when I transfer my money to Australia when I get PR. (i.e change my branch to a hsbc bank in Oz).

thanks
dan

Last edited by dan; Apr 21st 2002 at 6:19 pm.

Old Apr 21st 2002, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Claire is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We bank with HSBC here in UK and when we were on holiday last week in Perth we opend an a/c with HSBC. It was hassle free and if you open the Online Savings Account it is "Fee-Free banking". It pays around 3.75% interest a balance over $2k, unlimited HSBC ATM withdrawals and 5 non HSBC ATM withdrawals per month. The only problem is that there are only 2 branches in Perth but as I never go to my branch anyway it doesn't bother me. Most people I know in Oz withdraw enough money to last the week to avoid withdrawal charges. There is also unlimited EFTPOS (like Switch) and internet transactions and giroPost access as well as Bpay.

Your local branch will be able to get you all the information for this and other accounts.

Claire
Old Apr 22nd 2002, 4:31 am
Andrew

Hi,

Are you saying that you can transfer money back and forth from a HSBC UK branch to
Aus branch via the internet? This would very useful for me too (I would only be
transfering small sums to keep my UK account in the black).

I currently bank with ANZ (which you can also set-up an account in the UK), but I
have to physically go into an ANZ branch to perform the transfer.

Thanks, Andrew.

dugongs <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I would recommend using HSBC rather than CBA - the fees are lower, interest rates
    > are better and you get reduced telegraphic transfer fees between banks within the
    > HSBC group. We opened our accounts in UK at the local Brisbane branch no worries
    > and transfer cash back and forth as required by internet banking - works great.

Old Apr 22nd 2002, 7:30 am
Alan Collett

Andrew,

I'm not sure whether this helps, but my associate colleagues at Halewood
International don't charge any fees for moving funds to Australia from the UK:
http://www.hifx.co.uk/register/defau...orID=GoMatilda

hifx are happy to deal with pretty much all aspects electronically - I had cleared
Aussie$ funds in my CBA account within 5 days of them leaving my Royal Bank of
Scotland UK£ account in the UK.

Best regards.

Alan C www.gomatilda.com

Andrew wrote in message <[email protected]>. .. Hi,

Are you saying that you can transfer money back and forth from a HSBC UK branch to
Aus branch via the internet? This would very useful for me too (I would only be
transfering small sums to keep my UK account in the black).

I currently bank with ANZ (which you can also set-up an account in the UK), but I
have to physically go into an ANZ branch to perform the transfer.

Thanks, Andrew.

dugongs <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I would recommend using HSBC rather than CBA - the fees are lower, interest rates
    > are better and you get reduced telegraphic transfer fees between banks within the
    > HSBC group. We opened our accounts in UK at the local Brisbane branch no worries
    > and transfer cash back and forth as required by internet banking - works great.

Old Apr 22nd 2002, 9:11 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

Yes, once you are set up on their internet banking then you can instruct telegraphic transfers on line - it even allocates the exchange rate on line so you know the exact cost as long as the total amount is less than about $25k i think - higher than that and the rate is allocated later offline.

We bank with FirstDirect UK and HSBC here and think it's great. Transferring monies a doddle and the costs are lower when you have the two accounts with the same bank.
Old Apr 22nd 2002, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Claire is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I think it is possible to do that. I have just done a telegraphic transfer into my Oz HSBC account from my UK one and it cost £10. I expect this will be the same the other way. It was £35 to another bank.

Claire