Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Commonwealth Bank

Commonwealth Bank

Old Mar 20th 2009, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice
Default Commonwealth Bank

Hi all,

Anyone else had problems with the Commonwealth?

Yesterday we were looking at our statement online and noticed a transaction for $15 which we did not recognise and it did not show the shop/business where we supposedly spent the money. Today the wife goes into the local branch to find out where the transaction was processed to be told by the muppet behind the counter that they don't know!!:curse: She was very rude and said that we must have spent the money and the place where the transaction took place is not always shown?

After a lot of argueing with the muppet, they are now looking into it which could take 21 days and if it turns out we did authorise the transaction then we will be charged!!.. Trying to explain that we may have spent the money but need to know where it was spent was like banging your head against the wall.

HOW CAN THEY NOT KNOW WHAT ORGANISATION A DEBIT CARD TRANSACTION WENT TO:curse:
Old Mar 20th 2009, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commonwealth Bank

Quickest way to check those strange, unknown transactions is to type the Name/reference (whatever you've got on the statement) into Google. What comes back might jog your memory.

I'm always forgetting what I've used my card for and have done this quite a bit. Have to admit that the statement is always correct - they've never made any mistake, and I have always made the charge.

Of course the bank can find out where the charge went to - but I wouldn't expect that anyone in a branch would be able to give you an instant response to that sort of query. They'd only have the same info that you do (ie they could tell you what's on your statement). More detailed info on who/where etc is probably only available via a request to their head-office.

Been with Commonwealth for years and I've never had any type of problem with them. In fact, they've been the best bank I've ever had dealings with - and I've been with most.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

That's the problem there is no reference,just a number which I have googled and brings back nothing. The charge that they are refering to is to charge us for the investigation!
Old Mar 20th 2009, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time2
Hi all,

Yesterday we were looking at our statement online and noticed a transaction for $15 which we did not recognise and it did not show the shop/business where we supposedly spent the money. Today the wife goes into the local branch to find out where the transaction was processed to be told by the muppet behind the counter that they don't know!!:curse: She was very rude and said that we must have spent the money and the place where the transaction took place is not always shown?

After a lot of argueing with the muppet, they are now looking into it which could take 21 days and if it turns out we did authorise the transaction then we will be charged!!.. Trying to explain that we may have spent the money but need to know where it was spent was like banging your head against the wall.

I'm afraid the kind of response you are getting is what I get where ever I go.

It drives me mad when I ask a question and you get very basic answers. I often get the feeling I'm talking to the wrong person but then the next person isn't any better. Ahhhhhhhhh.

It's a bit like that sketch out of Little Britain. "The compooter says noooooooo!".

I am not sure what is worse. Being put through to a help centre in a different country where they just read a screen or the customer facing staff in the local shops, banks etc!

I'll hide before I get shot down.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

Trying to explain that we may have spent the money but need to know where it was spent was like banging your head against the wall.

Because the transaction could have come from another bank/gateway priovider?

When you do a bank to bank transfer for example, the only thing the other bank knows of this transaction is which bank sent it, the account number it came from and to and a reference number. The recieving bank does not have any further information.

This is similiar to how credit and debit card transactions work. Recieving bank only knows limited information on the sender (A/c No. Bank and Charge). To find out more the bank needs to contact the sending bank and get them to pass more information through.

Have you also thought about this amount could be a pre-authorisation charge. Some service places (Pubs, cafe, petrol stations) do a pre-authorisation on the card when you give it to them. When you sign the docket and include a tip they put the transaction through the machine again with the final value. You could have just been unlucky that the place you were charged got slack and hadn't put the full amount through yet.

within 21 days you'll either know the place you spent the money or have the money returned.

Last edited by shorrock; Mar 20th 2009 at 4:22 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 20th 2009, 8:19 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

wow all that stress and anger for 15 bucks what thats ? about 6 quid

carnt wait to see if you explode when you get charged for the investigation
Old Mar 20th 2009, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

It's not the amount that's bothering me, It's 1-they don't know where it has gone and 2- they say it has been signed for, we never sign for any transaction we always use the pin number.

And thanks for your useful reply.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 11:23 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the amount that's bothering me, It's 1-they don't know where it has gone and 2- they say it has been signed for, we never sign for any transaction we always use the pin number.

And thanks for your useful reply.
i`m dismayed not even a ripple on the richtor scale
Old Mar 20th 2009, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steve`o
i`m dismayed not even a ripple on the richtor scale
Ooooo me sides...
Old Mar 21st 2009, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

I'm with Westpac...sometime when we use a debit card it shows on the statement without any detail for a day or two....then sometimes the transaction disappears or it is shown with the correct details...maybe same with Commonwealth?
Old Mar 21st 2009, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

I bank with the commonwealth and sometimes using online statements you dont get further details about a transaction on the statement until the next day - i have many a time wondered what something was only to check the following day and see what it is.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 4:32 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by homewardbound
I bank with the commonwealth and sometimes using online statements you dont get further details about a transaction on the statement until the next day - i have many a time wondered what something was only to check the following day and see what it is.
I've had the same with ANZ, but not often.

It does seem odd that the CBA will charge for just providing the info that you would think should appear on a Statement.

I used to bank with CBA, but went off them years ago, but can't remember why now

Old Mar 21st 2009, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

All banks charge you for investigation if its found the transaction is kosher.

I find it usually comes back to me if I find something a bit strange on a statement. Sometimes the place we buy is not the name of the company the business is using for its banking.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 6:06 am
Worongary

Originally Posted by Petals
All banks charge you for investigation if its found the transaction is kosher.

I find it usually comes back to me if I find something a bit strange on a statement. Sometimes the place we buy is not the name of the company the business is using for its banking.
that or its apart of a string of shops owned by one company
Old Mar 21st 2009, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

HOW CAN THEY NOT KNOW WHAT ORGANISATION A DEBIT CARD TRANSACTION WENT TO:curse:[/QUOTE]

Because they dont always know what organisation debited the card!
Sometimes a shop/company trades under one name and is registered unser another, so when the computer systems are checked it doesnt always make sense to the customer. Cab firms usually work like this.
She isnt being a muppet, she is just advising as to what company is showing as recieving the funds. If you are not sure then dispute it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.