Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Committing to rental without viewing property

Committing to rental without viewing property

Old Jul 23rd 2014, 2:57 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Committing to rental without viewing property

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Great photos call for a different perspective x
Hahahaaa, Gillian Mind you, I wouldn't be laughing if I turned up expecting to see a massive pool!
Old Jul 24th 2014, 12:27 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Good decision - lots of people rent a place when they first arrive without a job.
You may or may not need to offer rent upfront, depends on demand and how you come accross. Suggest you bring with you a rental reference if you are currently renting, bank details showing you have funds, and be nice to the agents showing you some places
Old Jul 24th 2014, 12:32 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Jilliebee

Great photos! Sometimes rental places are difficult to photo, but normally they are pretty selective and often out of date. Never go by photos alone!
Old Jul 24th 2014, 10:09 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

We have had dozens of new arrivals stay with us, and none have had any issues finding and renting a house within 4 weeks.

Nobody has had to offer extra weeks/months rent (as far as I know to secure a rental) Photos on real estate websites as you can see are very deceiving, which you will see for yourself when you arrive

Another thing you need to take into account is that if you move into a rental on arrival, you have nothing at all. No beds, no chairs or table, no kitchenware etc etc. camping in a rental isn't fun.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

TessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really nice

Just thought I'd mention that we used a relocation agent for our move. Needed to secure a rental that was pet friendly and have it ready for when our pets came out of quarantine so we used a company called Elite in Melbourne. Have to say they were fantastic, visited all the properties we were interested in, emailed photos and gave a full run down of whether they would be suitable for us/pets etc. Once we decided on the property we liked and landlord happy with bond and deposit the rental agent emailed us the contracts in the UK, we signed and that was that. Worked for us and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for anyone who needs a property upon arrival.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we just sold a house which was poky and in a dreadful area.
Pics on the website looked amazing....I barely recognised the place and thought it looked fabulous value. Those wide angle lenses are fabulous at misrepresenting.

I would wait and bare the extra cost for peace of mind.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
we just sold a house which was poky and in a dreadful area.
Pics on the website looked amazing....I barely recognised the place and thought it looked fabulous value. Those wide angle lenses are fabulous at misrepresenting.

I would wait and bare the extra cost for peace of mind.
That should be an illegal practice.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 3:07 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
That should be an illegal practice.
There'd be an awful lot of real estate agents in gaol if it was! Although - there are laws around misrepresentation in advertising, so if someone wanted to make something of it they probably could.

It would seem to be rather counter-productive to make a place for sale look wildly better than it was. I know how pissed off I'd be if I rolled up to a home open and found the place was nothing like the photos - I'd be out of there so fast. Not good business practice to piss off your customers before you've even opened your mouth.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 3:17 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TessD
Just thought I'd mention that we used a relocation agent for our move. Needed to secure a rental that was pet friendly and have it ready for when our pets came out of quarantine so we used a company called Elite in Melbourne. Have to say they were fantastic, visited all the properties we were interested in, emailed photos and gave a full run down of whether they would be suitable for us/pets etc. Once we decided on the property we liked and landlord happy with bond and deposit the rental agent emailed us the contracts in the UK, we signed and that was that. Worked for us and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for anyone who needs a property upon arrival.
WE used relocation agents but only once we got here, knowing what we know now I am glad we did. I could never trust anyone to make a decision about a home for me, too many personal factors to take into consideration.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
There'd be an awful lot of real estate agents in gaol if it was! Although - there are laws around misrepresentation in advertising, so if someone wanted to make something of it they probably could.

It would seem to be rather counter-productive to make a place for sale look wildly better than it was. I know how pissed off I'd be if I rolled up to a home open and found the place was nothing like the photos - I'd be out of there so fast. Not good business practice to piss off your customers before you've even opened your mouth.
Exactly - it should be an illegal practice. It gets people in the door and that's first base. If you cannot get people in the door, to first base, then you are no where.