Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Coming out in Jan - do I arrange a rental before we go???

Coming out in Jan - do I arrange a rental before we go???

Old Nov 22nd 2004, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

carojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the rough
Question Coming out in Jan - do I arrange a rental before we go???

Just wanted to get a bit of advice if anyone can give it - we're heading out first week in January to Byron area but I've not arranged any accomodation yet.

I was wondering how other people have done it - do you book a hotel before you go and then house-hunt when you get there? Or get a holiday rental before you go, or when you arrive???

I mean I have looked at rentals on various websites, but then would it be silly to book it before you've seen it??

Any help gratefully received. Thanks!

Caroline
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Location: lived in halesworth in suffolk, now on the sunny coast qld
debreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to all
Default Re: Coming out in Jan - do I arrange a rental before we go???

Originally Posted by carojey
Just wanted to get a bit of advice if anyone can give it - we're heading out first week in January to Byron area but I've not arranged any accomodation yet.

I was wondering how other people have done it - do you book a hotel before you go and then house-hunt when you get there? Or get a holiday rental before you go, or when you arrive???

I mean I have looked at rentals on various websites, but then would it be silly to book it before you've seen it??

Any help gratefully received. Thanks!

Caroline
i think you would b wise to book hotel or holiday let first then look at rentals once u r over jet lag , it may b a bit diffuclt as its holiday time still , we moved into a rental within 6 days , what a great place byron is , we r up on the sunny coast nr mooloolaba , anyway good luck . xx debs x
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

RichnKim is an unknown quantity at this point

Soory to hijack this post. But Debs are they making a follow-up to your TV debut ? How are things going ?
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 4:20 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debreeve
i think you would b wise to book hotel or holiday let first then look at rentals once u r over jet lag , it may b a bit diffuclt as its holiday time still , we moved into a rental within 6 days , what a great place byron is , we r up on the sunny coast nr mooloolaba , anyway good luck . xx debs x
Agree with Debs. We're arriving end of December and have booked some serviced, self catering apartments which are part of a Hotel complex so we can use their facilities - pool etc- while we check out rentals and do all the admin things in the first two weeks. We see it as half holiday / half preparation for the longer term. Also gives us the opportunity to leave teenager by the pool with company of others as we do things she would find 'boring'

(Nice to see that your still posting on here Debs. How's it going?)
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

carojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by RichnKim
Soory to hijack this post. But Debs are they making a follow-up to your TV debut ? How are things going ?
What's that about then? I did watch a relocation to Mooloolabah on the telly a while back actually, I was nearly deciding to move there!
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by debreeve
Oh that's good if you can get into a rental in a week - I was a bit worried it took ages with paperwork and stuff... thanks.

Were you on that Mooloolabah relocation programme or is there something I've missed somewhere on another thread??
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 7:43 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carojey
Oh that's good if you can get into a rental in a week - I was a bit worried it took ages with paperwork and stuff... thanks.

Were you on that Mooloolabah relocation programme or is there something I've missed somewhere on another thread??
Me and Cas are booking an apartment in Melb'n for a week in January while we get over jet lag and start looking for a house or apartment to rent for the longer term. That way, it's waiting for us when we fall off the plane knackered and we don't have to try and sort it all out whilst feeling half dead from jet lag.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:00 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Me and Cas are booking an apartment in Melb'n for a week in January while we get over jet lag and start looking for a house or apartment to rent for the longer term. That way, it's waiting for us when we fall off the plane knackered and we don't have to try and sort it all out whilst feeling half dead from jet lag.

IME this is definitely the best plan, esp as (at least here in Melb), there are loads of 'serviced apartments' (eg the Quest chain) where you get all you need incl a full kitchen, laundry etc, so it's more like a home than staying in a hotel room!

Depending on the time of year, they can be pretty flexible about how long you stay there. Just as well, as our initial 4 weeks' booking turned in to 7.5 weeks (we decided to buy rather than rent, so had to wait for the settlement to go thru)...

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Apartment is with Quest: www.australianexplorer.com
Bit expensive, but I think and hope it's worth it.
Cas
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Apartment is with Quest: www.australianexplorer.com
Bit expensive, but I think and hope it's worth it.
Cas
Oh it's definitely worth it Cas......
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:13 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Oh it's definitely worth it Cas......
Just because Slater's Guide says there are Cox's sandpipers near there....

Anya.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:17 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Just because Slater's Guide says there are Cox's sandpipers near there....

Anya.
Damn - haven't got a hope in hells chance of seeing him then have I?!!!
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Damn - haven't got a hope in hells chance of seeing him then have I?!!!
But...but.....Werribee is such a nice sewage farm!