British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Coming to Brisbane on the 31st (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/coming-brisbane-31st-503248/)

Clair and Darren Kleba Jan 3rd 2008 1:12 pm

Coming to Brisbane on the 31st

Hi everyone,

Please anyone out there give me a few tips on schooling for my 10 year old and 5 year old!!!! We're hoping to move to Helensvale or Robina around that area.. What are the supermarket prices?? and please tell me am i right to be petrified of them damn spiders?? That really is the one thing that is seriously bugging me out!!! Help me someone and put my mind at ease or make me change my mind :rofl::thumbsup::curse:

Thanks Clair

qwertyuiop Jan 3rd 2008 2:09 pm

Re: Coming to Brisbane on the 31st

Hi Clair.
Most Gold Coasters are probably asleep at the moment so you should get some informed replies in about seven hours or so. Im up cause the spiders have kicked me out of the bed:rofl:
Hope the trip goes well and dont fret about the schooling....itll all be fine once you get here. Pm me when you get here and we can meet up....we have a 10 yr old boy too:thumbsup:

Clair and Darren Kleba Jan 3rd 2008 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by qwertyuiop (Post 5734170)
Hi Clair.
Most Gold Coasters are probably asleep at the moment so you should get some informed replies in about seven hours or so. Im up cause the spiders have kicked me out of the bed:rofl:
Hope the trip goes well and dont fret about the schooling....itll all be fine once you get here. Pm me when you get here and we can meet up....we have a 10 yr old boy too:thumbsup:

Oh you are soo funny!!! (You were joking right)!!!! :confused: You sound just up my street with your sense of humour! Thanks for that. I'll defo get in touch if thats ok and we can have a drink or 2 and then my eldest can meet yours and hopefully they'll become friends. Whereabouts are you?:thumbsup:

Thanks again

xx

Eastend Girl Jan 3rd 2008 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Clair and Darren Kleba (Post 5734006)
Hi everyone,

Please anyone out there give me a few tips on schooling for my 10 year old and 5 year old!!!! We're hoping to move to Helensvale or Robina around that area.. What are the supermarket prices?? and please tell me am i right to be petrified of them damn spiders?? That really is the one thing that is seriously bugging me out!!! Help me someone and put my mind at ease or make me change my mind :rofl::thumbsup::curse:

Thanks Clair

I dont know about schools on the Gold Coast but supermarket prices are about the same as UK. The spiders are HUGE but mostly harmless (I'm still here after 10 years) - it's the cockroaches you'll need to get used to!

Have a great trip and am sure everything will work out for you :)

Clair and Darren Kleba Jan 3rd 2008 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Eastend Girl (Post 5734247)
I dont know about schools on the Gold Coast but supermarket prices are about the same as UK. The spiders are HUGE but mostly harmless (I'm still here after 10 years) - it's the cockroaches you'll need to get used to!

Hi,

Thanks for the great help on Spiders i think i've changed my mind!!! I am soo scared of them its untrue believe me!! I've heard they're huge but do they get everywhere?? Is there some way to stop them coming in your house? I've heard you can get someone in to spray your house and there's a canister to kill them all to put inside? have you heard anything about this?:ohmy::eek:

Issie Jan 3rd 2008 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Eastend Girl (Post 5734247)

The coakroachers in Perth fly too ...yuk yuk yuk !!!!

Clair and Darren Kleba Jan 3rd 2008 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Issie (Post 5734283)
The coakroachers in Perth fly too ...yuk yuk yuk !!!!

I'm sure they'll be flying ones in Brizzy too! Why oh why am i doing this??!!!!

Stitch Jan 3rd 2008 8:03 pm

We're not on the GC b ut up in Brisbane, Bayside....Cockroaches fly and the huntsman's chase you! Nah seriously it's not as bad as you think. We've been here 18 months and have only seen two huntsman. I saw one redback but that was dead. Had my fair share of roaches and ants mind you but they have baits that attract then kill em all!

Got a couple of kids myself, girl 6 and boy 10. They learn a lot about the bugs and stuff at school so they come home and teach me! Try Queensland Education for some of the school websites.

Cheers

Ginny

Clair and Darren Kleba Jan 3rd 2008 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Stitch (Post 5735400)
We're not on the GC b ut up in Brisbane, Bayside....Cockroaches fly and the huntsman's chase you! Nah seriously it's not as bad as you think. We've been here 18 months and have only seen two huntsman. I saw one redback but that was dead. Had my fair share of roaches and ants mind you but they have baits that attract then kill em all!

Got a couple of kids myself, girl 6 and boy 10. They learn a lot about the bugs and stuff at school so they come home and teach me! Try Queensland Education for some of the school websites.

Cheers

Ginny

hi Ginny,

I'm glad about the spider thing that has kinda put my mind at ease:unsure: But if they do come in my house they will DIE:eek: Seriously tho is there not something you can do to keep them away?? I've heard of spraying your house and some kind of bomb thing that kills creepy crawlies??

Are you anywhere near Robina or Helensvale or Pacific Pines? I say that but not even sure if there together!! Ever heard of Varsity Lakes? and the schools there?

Thanks

Clair:thumbsup:

Stitch Jan 3rd 2008 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Clair and Darren Kleba (Post 5735432)
hi Ginny,

I'm glad about the spider thing that has kinda put my mind at ease:unsure: But if they do come in my house they will DIE:eek: Seriously tho is there not something you can do to keep them away?? I've heard of spraying your house and some kind of bomb thing that kills creepy crawlies??

Are you anywhere near Robina or Helensvale or Pacific Pines? I say that but not even sure if there together!! Ever heard of Varsity Lakes? and the schools there?

Thanks

Hi,

Plenty of pest vans that regularly spray houses, inside and out so there's not worries there. When you venture to the supermarkets there are shelves of kill this kill that sprays, baits and bombs! Mossies are a nightmare sometimes but they have sprays for that too!

We're about 40 minutes from the areas of the Gold Coast you are on about. My kids go to school here in the Bayside so can't comment on the areas on question. Might be worth doing a search on schools in the gold coast or starting a new thread. Few Gold Coasters will be up shortly.

Cheers

Ginny

Clair and Darren Kleba Jan 3rd 2008 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Stitch (Post 5735452)
Hi,

Plenty of pest vans that regularly spray houses, inside and out so there's not worries there. When you venture to the supermarkets there are shelves of kill this kill that sprays, baits and bombs! Mossies are a nightmare sometimes but they have sprays for that too!

We're about 40 minutes from the areas of the Gold Coast you are on about. My kids go to school here in the Bayside so can't comment on the areas on question. Might be worth doing a search on schools in the gold coast or starting a new thread. Few Gold Coasters will be up shortly.

Cheers

Ginny

Hi Ginny,

Thanks for that I feel muchly better:thumbsup: My house will be stocked with every kind of spray you could possibly think of :rofl: I am sooo scared of all those things but especially the DAMN SPIDERS!!

As for living out there in those areas.. I say thats where we may end up but we may end up somewhere different it's only that we've looked at houses in those areas and they look gorgeous! But when we get there we are gonna be shown around by some friends that we are staying with and then i'll have a look at the schools in the area for my kids, cos i want to see them first if you know what i mean??

Would you mind if i pm'd you when i get there? only it'ss be nice to meet with soemone who's been there and done it!!

Thanks

Stitch Jan 4th 2008 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Clair and Darren Kleba (Post 5735498)
Hi Ginny,

Thanks for that I feel muchly better:thumbsup: My house will be stocked with every kind of spray you could possibly think of :rofl: I am sooo scared of all those things but especially the DAMN SPIDERS!!

As for living out there in those areas.. I say thats where we may end up but we may end up somewhere different it's only that we've looked at houses in those areas and they look gorgeous! But when we get there we are gonna be shown around by some friends that we are staying with and then i'll have a look at the schools in the area for my kids, cos i want to see them first if you know what i mean??

Would you mind if i pm'd you when i get there? only it'ss be nice to meet with soemone who's been there and done it!!

Thanks

Hi Clair,

Know what you mean about having a look around. We did the same and ended up here! Feel free to PM me. Would be only too happy to help.

Cheers

Ginny

Trixy Jan 4th 2008 6:44 am

My step sister lived in Robina, we're on the other coast (ahem.. the RAINYCoast). I have to tell you we have two carpet snakes in our ceiling, and at least one redback I've seen. Hubby went up in the roof to do the wiring for our aerial at Christmas and the snakes were out for the day! Mighty skin left behind though ;) I guess what you don't know doesn't hurt you, and we do live semi-rural.

Supermarket prices? What products??

Clair and Darren Kleba Jan 4th 2008 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Trixy (Post 5737305)
My step sister lived in Robina, we're on the other coast (ahem.. the RAINYCoast). I have to tell you we have two carpet snakes in our ceiling, and at least one redback I've seen. Hubby went up in the roof to do the wiring for our aerial at Christmas and the snakes were out for the day! Mighty skin left behind though ;) I guess what you don't know doesn't hurt you, and we do live semi-rural.

Supermarket prices? What products??

Hi Trixy,

Snakes eh i bet that must be annoying!! are they dangerous ones?? i guess you'd have got someone in if they were tho right!!:thumbup: How do you live with it now that you do actually know tho??

As for prices i mean in general like everyday things you know... washing powder etc shampoo and the like and the produce??:thumbsup:

Stitch Jan 4th 2008 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Clair and Darren Kleba (Post 5739200)
Hi Trixy,

Snakes eh i bet that must be annoying!! are they dangerous ones?? i guess you'd have got someone in if they were tho right!!:thumbup: How do you live with it now that you do actually know tho??

As for prices i mean in general like everyday things you know... washing powder etc shampoo and the like and the produce??:thumbsup:

I buy front loader washing powder that costs $15 for 3Kg out of the local supermarket. Kinda Persil equivilant I think. I'll have a look at my latest supermarket bill and get back to you.

Cheers

Ginny