Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Comfort Blanket in Oz

Comfort Blanket in Oz

Old Jul 19th 2005, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

BobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of light
Default Comfort Blanket in Oz

This thread was prompted by the excellent thread "Isolation/Homesickness" in the Australia Lifestyle forum

We're in the mid stages of planning our migration to Oz and are therefore still based in the UK

If anyone is like me, they'll have their own 'comfort blanket' that they turn to whenever times are hard such as when you're under pressure at work or having problems at home. It tends to be something that has a sense of familiarity/cosiness that no matter how hard things get, will always be there to provide a feeling of comfort or assurance.

My comfort blanket tends to be a night in watching Sky sports or a walk to the local to catch up with friends etc etc - anything to take my mind off the aggro that has taken place in the day

I guess some folks would take a walk using a familiar route, call a friend or watch an episode of Eastenders. Anything in which they can take some form of comfort

Of course, out in Oz (I'd imagine) things like Sky Sports, Eastenders, friends down the local etc etc are no more

Question is, what do/what will you use as YOUR comfort blanket now that you're in a country 12500 miles from home where you know nobody and all life's little 'pleasures' from the UK are missing???? :scared:
Old Jul 19th 2005, 2:43 pm
Cake addicted member

poppet has a spectacular aura aboutpoppet has a spectacular aura aboutpoppet has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Comfort Blanket in Oz

I intend to make up a photo album (and possibly video clips) of all the people and places I think I will miss. For example a photo of my family (well some of them!), friends, neighbours, my house, my workplace, the coffee shop I use most days, my favourite bookshop, my favourite restaurant, the pub...... You get the idea. When we went over to Oz 2 years ago before starting the visa process, my partners relative who had lived there for 8 years showed me a photo album with similar pictures and I remember thinking it was a good idea.

Perhaps I should also take pictures of all the things I hate as a reminder of why I left - just in case I get upset when I see all the good memories!

I don't think anything will really take away any homesickness but hopefully over time we will find alternative comforts.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 2:44 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppet
I don't think anything will really take away any homesickness but hopefully over time we will find alternative comforts.
Cake maybe
Old Jul 19th 2005, 2:44 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

My cat is my comfort blanket, nothing nicer than a cuddle when I'm feeling down.

My older cat Holly (who died a few weeks ago) always sensed when I was upset and would come up and give me a cuddle. I miss him...
Old Jul 19th 2005, 2:45 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say my comfort blanket is a big hug from my husband.....

Dont anyone tell him i said that :scared:

If he is the reason i need a comfort blanket then it's a large glass of wine.

Sorry not very patriotic, but thats just me

Lynn
Old Jul 19th 2005, 2:46 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler
Question is, what do/what will you use as YOUR comfort blanket now that you're in a country 12500 miles from home where you know nobody and all life's little 'pleasures' from the UK are missing???? :scared:
I just play with me bone.......never go anywhere without it
Old Jul 19th 2005, 2:48 pm
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all

Have been toying with the idea of doing things the other way round. Take photos and get newspaper clippings together of all the things that really annoy/worry us or give us real cause for concern, or things that we really will be glad to escape from.
Hopefully then, when one of us is down it will remind us why we wanted to upsticks and go so far in the first place.
Carole
Old Jul 19th 2005, 2:52 pm
Cake addicted member

poppet has a spectacular aura aboutpoppet has a spectacular aura aboutpoppet has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by fraser
Cake maybe
Am trying not to get my hopes up as they may not have my favourite cakes in Oz. Would try to bake them myself but a) I am not a good cook - leave that to the other half, and b) if I was busy baking would I have enough time to eat cake?? Not an experiment I would like to try out! Praying to all the gods that there are lovely lovely cakes in Oz. Can anyone confirm this?? :scared:
Old Jul 19th 2005, 2:54 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Playing with my daughter. After 3 months on holiday in 2003 I started to get homesick more just for a settled environment than missing the UK. Simple things like taking her to the park or helping her complete puzzle books made all the difference.

They sold Hardys in litre bottles at $7.50 a go by Town Hall station in Sydney which also helped
Old Jul 19th 2005, 2:57 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Am trying not to get my hopes up as they may not have my favourite cakes in Oz. Would try to bake them myself but a) I am not a good cook - leave that to the other half, and b) if I was busy baking would I have enough time to eat cake?? Not an experiment I would like to try out! Praying to all the gods that there are lovely lovely cakes in Oz. Can anyone confirm this?? :scared:
Where in Oz are you heading?
Old Jul 19th 2005, 3:04 pm
Cake addicted member

Originally Posted by fraser
Where in Oz are you heading?
Somewhere in Sydney with a cake shop next door!
Old Jul 19th 2005, 3:04 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=poppet]I intend to make up a photo album (and possibly video clips) of all the people and places I think I will miss. For example a photo of my family (well some of them!), friends, neighbours, my house, my workplace, the coffee shop I use most days, my favourite bookshop, my favourite restaurant, the pub...... You get the idea.

I've started doing the same thing. I took a load of photos around the village where we live during the winter when we had loads of snow (might be the last we see of it!) and I took a load more last week during the heatwave. Will also take pics of my house, the pub, my parents house, the kids school, Epsom Downs where we've spent many a Derby Day etc.

It will not help with the homesick bit whatsoever but great to look back on.

Will also take my teddy with me aaah! My kids bought it for me one Mother's Day and it goes everywhere with me
Old Jul 19th 2005, 3:05 pm

Somewhere in Sydney with a cake shop next door!
You'll be right
Old Jul 19th 2005, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

CheekyWeetus will become famous soon enough

Mmmmmmmm Can you say LAMINGTONS ?!?!?!!
Old Jul 19th 2005, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Going to the pictures - it feels so ordinary and familiar and gets my mind off things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.