Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Comedy Channel - the British are dirty apparently?!?

Comedy Channel - the British are dirty apparently?!?

Old Oct 15th 2006, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future
Default Comedy Channel - the British are dirty apparently?!?

Hi everyone,

I just watched two stand up comics on the comedy channel, both made a remark about Brits being dirty.

What is that all about? What is this story about this remark?

Also a kid at my school finds Pom or Pommie offensive, I don't personally when it is used appropriately, how can I convince her to get used to it?
Thanks
Tara
Old Oct 15th 2006, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comedy Channel - the British are dirty apparently?!?

Originally Posted by ali south
Hi everyone,

I just watched two stand up comics on the comedy channel, both made a remark about Brits being dirty.

Only that old, old research apparently indicated that Britis didn't bath every day, and didn't change their socks or underwear daily.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Only that old, old research apparently indicated that Britis didn't bath every day, and didn't change their socks or underwear daily.

Old Oct 15th 2006, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy

Truth hurts hey Wendy
Old Oct 15th 2006, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Truth hurts hey Wendy

Bloody water restrictions fault
Old Oct 15th 2006, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

It's a hangover thing, from about 40 years ago, Before central heating in the UK, when people used to have the weekly bath. When Poms in those days migrated here, they tended to keep that tradition for a while before intergrating into the new fangled shower thing that was an everyday thing here.

I can remember when most houses in the UK did not have showers in them.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 12:21 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Hence the expression "to take a Pommie shower" meaning to put on deodorant.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 1:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Met a woman at the weekend commentating about how dirty the British were - when I politely asked her what she meant, she babbled for ages about a trip her family had taken to London in 1976 when the whole family had to take a bath in the same 3" of water and how disgusting the scum mark was around the top of the water. I tried to explain that that was a very bad year for water restrictions, and she was in London where the water is very hard but she wouldn't have it, so I just walked away
Old Oct 16th 2006, 1:33 am
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Met a woman at the weekend commentating about how dirty the British were - when I politely asked her what she meant, she babbled for ages about a trip her family had taken to London in 1976 when the whole family had to take a bath in the same 3" of water and how disgusting the scum mark was around the top of the water. I tried to explain that that was a very bad year for water restrictions, and she was in London where the water is very hard but she wouldn't have it, so I just walked away
Boy what a laugh this gave me moneypen20, thanks for that

When I was working here as a community nurse I had to shower an elderly gentleman, well I won't go into too much detail, but he did comment on how it made a change to see a pom in the shower as poms weren't known for showering, bloody cheek I told him, I happen to shower on a daily basis, always preferred a shower even in the Uk. However, he comment on something similar to what you have just said, how when they visited London in the 70's you could only have one bath per week and so they presumed that was what pom's did.

Somebody else commented on how Elizabethan English had only one bath per year So our reputation' aren't good.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 2:39 am
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

I think you'll find that the work ethic here is not to tax the sweat pores too much, hence when we arrive & work as normal, ie a full week, or even a full day, one tends to sweat in such climbs. You tend to stand out if your working, sweating, whingeing , or all three.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 2:46 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a dirty, dirty girl and quite happy to admit that to anyone who wishes to know.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

martynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nice

Originally Posted by iPom
I'm a dirty, dirty girl and quite happy to admit that to anyone who wishes to know.

now we're talking !!!!!
Old Oct 16th 2006, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

lol that's the frogs not the brits
Old Oct 16th 2006, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

showdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really nice

Originally Posted by ali south
Hi everyone,

Also a kid at my school finds Pom or Pommie offensive, I don't personally when it is used appropriately, how can I convince her to get used to it?
Thanks
Tara
With regards to the calling of us Brits "POM's", I thought that POM originates from "Prisoner Of her Majesty" so surly it is a percentage of the current Australian population that descended from these prisoners that are "POM's" and not us conviction less Brits.

Also if our distant past still makes us smelly & dirty in their eyes, using the same logic would make the Ozzie's Murdering Rapists.

So just accept that your smelly and dirty until they accept you as a murder
Old Oct 16th 2006, 10:16 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by martynm
now we're talking !!!!!
I actually thought this thread was about British humour.

Oh well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.