.com websites

Old Jul 30th 2004, 7:32 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Question .com websites

I already have a .co.uk website for my business and should our application be successful was going to register a .com also.

Will .com show up in Oz or do I need .com.au?

Confused of Kent...
Old Jul 30th 2004, 7:34 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of
Default Re: .com websites

Originally posted by bridiej
I already have a .co.uk website for my business and should our application be successful was going to register a .com also.

Will .com show up in Oz or do I need .com.au?

Confused of Kent...
.Com will show up everywhere.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 7:34 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

That's what I thought!
Old Jul 30th 2004, 7:35 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by bridiej
That's what I thought!
Why not grab the .com.au name too
Old Jul 30th 2004, 7:41 am
ABCDiamond

If people search for a site using www.google.com.au a .com site "may" not be found, however a .com.au site normally will be.

Same as when using google.co.uk for a co.uk site.

To get a .com.au website, you need to register a business name of the same name before applying for the web name.

If you will operate the same business from here it would be good to get it before someone else does

Old Jul 30th 2004, 7:41 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NedKelly63

Its hard getting a .com.au whilst still in Uk
Old Jul 30th 2004, 7:44 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to register a domain name in Australia, important rules apply. During the registration process, you will be required to warrant you meet the requirements below.

.COM.AU & .NET.AU
Popular amongst commercial entities, based in Australia, serving an Australian market. Must be an Australian registered company, or business to secure a domain, and must meet one of the following criteria:

An exact match of the business’ name or trademark
An abbreviation of the business’ name or trademark
An acronym of the business’ name or trademark
Product that the business manufactures or sells
A program that the business administers
An activity that your business facilitates, teaches or trains
A service that your business provides
A venue that the business operates
A profession that is practiced by the business’ employees or members
An event that your business organises or sponsors
Place names in Australia are disallowed as domain names
Domain names can be 2 to 63 letters, and words can be separated by hyphens, but not spaces
.AU.COM
Policy free, anyone can register any domain name, regardless of their rights to that domain name. If you own a company name, or a trademark, it does not prevent someone registering that name.

register domain names for your company and/or business names
register domain names for your industry sector
register domain names for your town name
register domain names for your product names
.ORG.AU
Charities, or not-for-profit organisations, as specified in your articles of association, you must be a registered company, or incorporated association to acquire an org.au domain name, and must meet one of the following criteria:
Product that the business manufactures or sells
.ASN.AU
Applicants must either an incorporated association, registered political party, registered trade union, or a sporting or special interest club operating within Australia, and must meet one of the following criteria:
.ID.AU
Especially designed for individuals, who reside in Australia. Applicant must meet the following criteria:

Derived from or includes the individuals’ name
Old Jul 30th 2004, 8:16 am
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough

If your going to register a .com.au domain name and open your business to the Australian market it might be worth considering hosting your .com.au domain name and website with an Australian web host company. Some time response times can be a little slower if your web users are requesting .com.au web pages from the UK or whereever your current web host provider is based.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 8:17 am
Banned

Originally posted by elksa
If your going to register a .com.au domain name and open your business to the Australian market it might be worth considering hosting your .com.au domain name and website with an Australian web host company. Some time response times can be a little slower if your web users are requesting .com.au web pages from the UK or whereever your current web host provider is based.

I purchased my .com.au via netrigistry.com.au and then tranferred the domain and hosting to a uk company.

Its a darn sight cheaper
Old Jul 30th 2004, 8:32 am
Now 15% less offensive

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
If people search for a site using www.google.com.au a .com site "may" not be found, however a .com.au site normally will be.

Same as when using google.co.uk for a co.uk site.

To get a .com.au website, you need to register a business name of the same name before applying for the web name.

If you will operate the same business from here it would be good to get it before someone else does
Most search engines pick up embedded meta tags in web sites using robots/spiders and index sites using this information. The domain names itself is just a textual representation of an IP address.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 9:07 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Why host something in Australia? Connectivity-wise, it's the arse end of the world. Host with North America or Europe.

Re: .com's not turning up in an Australian only Google search; won't happen. Google doesn't index stuff based on domain name; it uses pattern-matching algorithms in the text of the pages itself or the stated language in the headers. I'm positive I've bored people to death with this subject before.

There's no law or convention to say Australian businesses must be a com.au. Call yourself urglefurgle.cc or dudefood.biz if you want.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 9:08 am
o_0

Most search engines pick up embedded meta tags in web sites using robots/spiders and index sites using this information. The domain names itself is just a textual representation of an IP address.
Not any more they don't. Meta keyword tags are very much yesterday when it comes to spidering. It's all regex and pattern matching now.

You're right re: domain names, though.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 9:11 am
Now 15% less offensive

Originally posted by Ulujain
Not any more they don't. Meta keyword tags are very much yesterday when it comes to spidering. It's all regex and pattern matching now.

You're right re: domain names, though.
Interesting you say that. As you stated in your earlier posting, I was always under the impression that Google used text/pattern matching.

However, my site has been indexed by Google and it has picked up on the meta tags - there is no text on my home page that that matches what google has indexed it on - so I'm guessing goggle will resort to 'old hat' it necessary.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 9:13 am
o_0

Interesting you say that. As you stated in your earlier posting, I was always under the impression that Google used text/pattern matching.

However, my site has been indexed by Google and it has picked up on the meta tags - there is no text on my home page that that matches what google has indexed it on - so I'm guessing goggle will resort to 'old hat' it necessary.
Keyword or description? Google will honour a description but they've ignored the keyword experiments I've used over the years; far too much leeway for abuse.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 9:35 am
Now 15% less offensive

Originally posted by Ulujain
Keyword or description? Google will honour a description but they've ignored the keyword experiments I've used over the years; far too much leeway for abuse.
Its been a while since I checked. You are right, Google has actually ignored both description and keyword. It appears to have used the contents of <Title>

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.