Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

College/university fees ... Gold Coast

College/university fees ... Gold Coast

Old Apr 14th 2006, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

FloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant future
Question College/university fees ... Gold Coast

Does anyone know if the college/university fee's on the Gold Coast are similar to the UK ??

Does anyone have any idea of how much / examples etc ??

Many Thanks

Lee
Old Apr 14th 2006, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

shelley77 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: College/university fees ... Gold Coast

Hi

I currently attend a college and I pay 5400 dollars per six months...i think as far as i recall the prices are similar in each area...some a bit cheaper , some a bit more....

hope this helps

Shell

Originally Posted by FloridaLee
Does anyone know if the college/university fee's on the Gold Coast are similar to the UK ??

Does anyone have any idea of how much / examples etc ??

Many Thanks

Lee
Old Apr 14th 2006, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley77
Hi

I currently attend a college and I pay 5400 dollars per six months...i think as far as i recall the prices are similar in each area...some a bit cheaper , some a bit more....

hope this helps

Shell
....and all depends on whether you're an internation student or not. only exception to this is Bond Uni @ robina which is a private uni where all students (domestic and international) pay the same fees

At Bond a standard (24 Subject) degree costs $68,520, Law is $91,360, Medicine is $233,100 and double degrees between $91,360 and $137,040. Postgrads are anything between $9120 and $65,000
Old Apr 14th 2006, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

FloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by YoSemite
....and all depends on whether you're an internation student or not. only exception to this is Bond Uni @ robina which is a private uni where all students (domestic and international) pay the same fees

At Bond a standard (24 Subject) degree costs $68,520, Law is $91,360, Medicine is $233,100 and double degrees between $91,360 and $137,040. Postgrads are anything between $9120 and $65,000

OMG :scared:

Thanks for the info , i'd better get saving for my kids futures now

Lee
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

Remember that Bond is the exception, because it's private, independent and not for profit.

avg International student fees for a state uni would be around $16,000 - $17,000 per year for a general BA/BSc degree. Domestic students (PRs or citizens) paqy hardly anything in comparison (if anything at all)
Old Apr 15th 2006, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Remember that Bond is the exception, because it's private, independent and not for profit.

avg International student fees for a state uni would be around $16,000 - $17,000 per year for a general BA/BSc degree. Domestic students (PRs or citizens) paqy hardly anything in comparison (if anything at all)

Ohhhh thats sounds better. My kids are only young yet but I'm trying to get a grasp to plan ahead. We will be PR and even citizens by the time they go so hopefully we won't be bankrupted by it all
Old Apr 15th 2006, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

would very much doubt that you'd be bankcrupt by it all (unless you've got 15 children all going to uni at the same time!!! hehehehehe)

as long as you have PR Visa and will be in australia for length of studies you get classed same as citizen i.e. domestic student.

Gov't contributes certain amount of fees depending on course...amount for this year are:-

Law $1,499
Accounting, administration, economics, commerce $2,466
Humanities $4,156
Mathematics, statistics $4,908
Behavioural science, social studies $6,598
Computing, built environment, health $7,349
Foreign languages, visual and performing arts $9,037
Engineering, science, surveying $12,232
Dentistry, medicine, veterinary science $15,332
Agriculture $16,299
Education $7,251
Nursing $9,692
the rest of the fees can be covered by HECS - Higher Education Contributory Scheme, but i think you MUST be an aussie citizen to get HECS

HECS is paid back once you start earning and is a % of your monthly wages (much like student loans in UK)

this could all change by the time your kids are getting to uni. And all this type of stuff will be explained to them in years 11/12.... but it never hurts to start saving!!
Old Apr 15th 2006, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

would very much doubt that you'd be bankcrupt by it all (unless you've got 15 children all going to uni at the same time!!! hehehehehe)

as long as you have PR Visa and will be in australia for length of studies you get classed same as citizen i.e. domestic student.

Gov't contributes certain amount of fees depending on course...amount for this year are:-

the rest of the fees can be covered by HECS - Higher Education Contributory Scheme, but i think you MUST be an aussie citizen to get HECS

HECS is paid back once you start earning and is a % of your monthly wages (much like student loans in UK)

this could all change by the time your kids are getting to uni. And all this type of stuff will be explained to them in years 11/12.... but it never hurts to start saving!!

That's fantastic info , thx for that.

By the time they get to Uni they will defiantly be citizens as they are age's 8 , 6 and 2 at the moment

The whole main reason I asked the original questions was that here in the USA college fees are astronomical. I'll tick that down as a definite plus compared to the states then
Old Apr 15th 2006, 7:19 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FloridaLee
Ohhhh thats sounds better. My kids are only young yet but I'm trying to get a grasp to plan ahead. We will be PR and even citizens by the time they go so hopefully we won't be bankrupted by it all
YoS explained it all above. As PR you pay the same as citizens BUT you have to pay upfront. You do not get discount and you cannot defer payment.

(I only put this in as maybe down the line someone maybe researching this and it may be useful to them)

So, as an immo (thats so not PC) there are 3 cat's:
1)International student-pay loads and in full.
2)PR-pay same as citizens (or Aussies as they like to be called) but upfront with no deferal or discount.
3)Citizen-the world is your oyster.

Last edited by seang; Apr 15th 2006 at 7:24 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by seang
So, as an immo (thats so not PC) there are 3 cat's:
1)International student-pay loads and in full.
2)PR-pay same as citizens (or Aussies as they like to be called) but upfront with no deferal or discount.
3)Citizen-the world is your oyster.

nail and head springs to mind..... unless you want to pay through the a-hole (like me!) then get citizenship ASAP