Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Coles Vs Tesco Comparison

Coles Vs Tesco Comparison

Old Feb 26th 2010, 10:05 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coles Vs Tesco Comparison

To be honest I think once you live in Australia there really is no point in comparing Coles or any other store with the UK - it really does no good at all.

Some English friends were complaining about the lack of choice in the supermarkets and how there was little in the way of ready made meals and how the veggies were not as good as 'back home'.

Mr PP was laughing when they said this, he has never been into ready made food anyway but mentioned some of the markets selling fruit and veggies - we have a couple near us.

My UK friend is with me at the moment and said she loves the choice and how the food is better presented here but I guess it depends on how many choices of cheese you really want.

Food is expensive here but if you live here, thinking about Next, Marks and Spencers - it wont bring the stuff to you.

You have to shop within your budget, be prepared to drive to some of the markets and put in the legwork to get the stuff you like.

I have never ever been excited over supermarkets and I guess have slipped into the ready meal trap when Mr PP was at work as I hate cooking but to be honest, now I am quite happy to choose some nice fruit and bung it in the smoothie maker.

It depends what you like in the way of food and clothing but it all boils down to accepting where you live and the shops and markets that you have available to you.

Last edited by Cheetah7; Feb 26th 2010 at 10:56 am.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 10:50 am
Banned

bmatthews is just really nicebmatthews is just really nicebmatthews is just really nicebmatthews is just really nicebmatthews is just really nicebmatthews is just really nicebmatthews is just really nicebmatthews is just really nice

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
To be honest I think once you live in Australia there really is no point in comparing Coles or any other store with the UK - it really does no good at all.

Some English friends were complaining about the lack of choice in the supermarkets and how there was little in the way of ready made meals and how the veggies were not as good as 'back home'.

Mr PP was laughing when they said this, he has never been into ready made food anyway but mentioned some of the markets selling fruit and veggies - we have a couple near us.

My UK friend is with me at the moment and said she loves the choice and how the food is better presented here but I guess it depends on how many choices of cheese you really want.

Food is expensive here but if you live here, thinking about Coles, Next, Marks and Spencers - it wont bring the stuff to you.

You have to shop within your budget, be prepared to drive to some of the markets and put in the legwork to get the stuff you like.

I have never ever been excited over supermarkets and I guess have slipped into the ready meal trap when Mr PP was at work as I hate cooking but to be honest, now I am quite happy to choose some nice fruit and bung it in the smoothie maker.

It depends what you like in the way of food and clothing but it all boils down to accepting where you live and the shops and markets that you have available to you.
You meant Tesco, Next, Marks And Spencers - right?!
Old Feb 26th 2010, 10:57 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bmatthews
You meant Tesco, Next, Marks And Spencers - right?!
Oops, I stand corrected
Old Feb 27th 2010, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

Food is expensive here but if you live here, thinking about Next, Marks and Spencers - it wont bring the stuff to you.

Oh, I totally agree that I need to think about the market I am in and I have been trying to investigate markets, wholesalers etc. I only did it because I was curious about how prices differ etc. I thought that it was the veggies were raising my bill but after my little experiment it would seem that actually veggies here are not expensive but a tiny bit cheaper!

I'm all for emerging myself in Aussie life! The comparison certainly wasn't an indication that i'm pining for Tesco! There are too many new and yummy things to eat on this side of the pond
Old Feb 27th 2010, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Joe10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Tesco and ASDA definately a lot cheaper than Coles/Woolworths but then the cost of petrol in the UK makes up for the difference

Last edited by Joe10; Feb 27th 2010 at 7:45 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joe10
Tesco and ASDA definately a lot cheaper than Coles/Woolworths but then the cost of petrol in the UK makes up for the difference
Yeah.

Lots of things are still cheaper here. You're right.
Clothes can be a bit of a bargain in these parts too.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Tesco has a lot more 'variety' - which you can take advantage of or not - depending on how you shop.

Most of it's basic grocery lines are a lot cheaper. I am sure there are exceptions.

That's about it...
Old Feb 28th 2010, 2:45 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mochinbach
sometimes I wonder how we got from tesco v Coles to such a subversive subject !
If in doubt, blame Al.