Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

cold winter nights or sticky brisbane

cold winter nights or sticky brisbane

Old Apr 21st 2004, 8:00 am
Just Joined

gary.jepp is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking cold winter nights or sticky brisbane

hi all ! just cant decide after reading some archive threads ive been put off perth a bit after hearing about how cold it can get in winter in the small hours of the morning , i thought i would be having all year round barbies and sitting out in the garden with a beer in hand til the small hours even in the winter months .i know when i was in brizz on hols a few years ago i couldnt sleep so got up about 4am an took a trip to the 7/11 store and when passing loacl super market the temp was displyed at 19 deg even at that time but it was a bit clammy what outways what? would appreciate comments / oh and forgot to say im a bricklayer which city would be best to work in money and weather wie / thanks
Old Apr 21st 2004, 8:13 am
Badge

Default Re: cold winter nights or sticky brisbane

I'm not fussed, as long as I get some sun in the day every so often. Not weeks of drizzle and damp.

On Sat, I came out of Bunnings and it was a bit drizzly. Couldn't work out what feeled different then realised it was the damp cold that day - forgotton what that feels like. In Australia it seems to piss down, then clears up - even in Melbourne.

Hence I think I can live with Melbourne.

Brissy - I can cope with humidity to an extent - I find Aussies complain when I am OK - but get bored with shorts and T-shirts after a while..

BM

Old Apr 21st 2004, 9:08 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane is currently about 16-19C low over night but will drop to 9C ish over winter with 2-3C not that uncommon. Allt he supermarkets are stocking up on the winter fan heaters at the moment

Try here for Brisbane weather stats:
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_040214.shtml

You should find similar on other cities
Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

20c might sound warm to you now, but once you have been here a while it feels pretty cool! The evenings are around 19-20 at the moment and you still need a light jacket if you are standing around outside. When it is still 27 in the day, 19 feels a lot cooler. It is all relative really.

The only time it felt sticky was when we had the 40c heatwave, now they were hot evenings.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Anjali is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jayr

Try here for Brisbane weather stats:
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_040214.shtml
Those statistics are a bit confusing. What is the coldest Brisbane can get in daily temperature? I don't mind cold in the night, but I do mind cold weather on the day.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by gary.jepp
hi all ! just cant decide after reading some archive threads ive been put off perth a bit after hearing about how cold it can get in winter in the small hours of the morning , i thought i would be having all year round barbies and sitting out in the garden with a beer in hand til the small hours even in the winter months .i know when i was in brizz on hols a few years ago i couldnt sleep so got up about 4am an took a trip to the 7/11 store and when passing loacl super market the temp was displyed at 19 deg even at that time but it was a bit clammy what outways what? would appreciate comments / oh and forgot to say im a bricklayer which city would be best to work in money and weather wie / thanks

I lived in Darwin for a couple of years (I am from Melbourne originally). The humidity is what makes the difference. Hence, I could never live in Brisbane or Darwin (again) simply because the weather is too humid the majority of the year. I agree with Badge - Melbourne is great (don't all move there though!!) - you get all the seasons but still get your fair share of lovely weather!

I also like that you can still rug up in winter and get all cosy! You might not think this is a great thing but when your seasons are taken away from you, believe it or not, you will miss them!
Old Apr 21st 2004, 1:35 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Anjali
Those statistics are a bit confusing. What is the coldest Brisbane can get in daily temperature? I don't mind cold in the night, but I do mind cold weather on the day.
Average winters day is around 20-21 degrees C. A cold one would be 18 .

It does get into single figures (& quite often under 5) most night in winter, particularly away from the coast.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Anjali is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MeganEkno
I lived in Darwin for a couple of years (I am from Melbourne originally). The humidity is what makes the difference. Hence, I could never live in Brisbane or Darwin (again) simply because the weather is too humid the majority of the year. I agree with Badge - Melbourne is great (don't all move there though!!) - you get all the seasons but still get your fair share of lovely weather!

I also like that you can still rug up in winter and get all cosy! You might not think this is a great thing but when your seasons are taken away from you, believe it or not, you will miss them!

Hmmm, I am just happy that I will never see season again
. That is the thing that annoys me most of Holland. We choose Brisbane for that reason.

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Average winters day is around 20-21 degrees C. A cold one would be 18 .

It does get into single figures (& quite often under 5) most night in winter, particularly away from the coast.

That is just perfect! Although 20 degrees is cold for me (I think I am a tropical person )
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 2:52 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Anjali

The Mean Daily Max Temp is the temp it gets to at the hottest part of the day, say 12 noon for example.

The Mean Daily Min Temp is the temp it gets to at the coolest part of the day, i.;e. normally immediatley before sunrise

Taking June as an example, the average daytime max is 20.9C and the lowest (pre dawn) is 10.9C ON AVERAGE.

I remember only a few days which were below 20C last winter and only a few where the nightime low was around 3-4 C
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 3:11 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Brisbane in the day is pleasant if you're outside under the sunshine, you will wear T- shirts, or light clothing . If in a building away from the sun , or if it's raining etc.. you will feel a bit cold, and probably wear a jumper ( I always wear jumpers when inside) . The nights are the cold ones.. I wear jumpers, coats and hats you name it if I'm on the water. In the house I usually have a fan heater ( although this year I've bought a reverse cycle air conditioner which will heat up the place.. haven't used it yet (as it's still very mild here at the moment in the nights) and a jumper and jeans. Or if going out to the local .. a jumper and jeans and mabe a jacket .. Bed , I have a few quilts and blankets ( I feel the cold).
But the daytime in the winter are pleasant, they never really get cold.. except when you are in a building where you may feel a bit of a chill away from the sun .Or if it's raining.
Cheers
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 3:13 am
Badge

Originally posted by jayr
The Mean Daily Max Temp is the temp it gets to at the hottest part of the day, say 12 noon for example.

The Mean Daily Min Temp is the temp it gets to at the coolest part of the day, i.;e. normally immediatley before sunrise

Taking June as an example, the average daytime max is 20.9C and the lowest (pre dawn) is 10.9C ON AVERAGE.

I remember only a few days which were below 20C last winter and only a few where the nightime low was around 3-4 C
so you will end up with temps in between...coldest time normally a specified time AFTER sunrise, the temp has been dropping all night, and there is a time lag before the sun rays have warmed the ground ..

BM

Old Apr 22nd 2004, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

Tapalinga is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband works outside, so in the summer months when it is very hot he finds it hard going working in it. I asked him the other day if he prefers to work in the cold or the heat and he said the cold because at least you can put clothes on, where as in the heat you have to wear long sleeve shirt and hat etc to protect you from the sun.

Don't forget that there is no ozone layer in oz, capital of the world for skin cancer.

We spend more time inside now than when we lived in the UK, esp. in the height of summer.

Originally posted by gary.jepp
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 7:04 am
Karma Comedian

You can get cool vests now which have some sort of gel stuff in them. Increasingly used by sportspeople and outdoor workers and available from sports stores for about $200-300.
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 7:14 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Tapalinga

We spend more time inside now than when we lived in the UK, esp. in the height of summer.

How true that is!! Honestly, we spent lots more time indoors when the temp got to hot. It was the only way to stay slightly cooler than boiling.

You can cool off slightly by the coast but not enough.

Before we got here my husband wanted a job outdoors, he thanked god when he got one indoors.
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MeganEkno
I lived in Darwin for a couple of years (I am from Melbourne originally). The humidity is what makes the difference. Hence, I could never live in Brisbane or Darwin (again) simply because the weather is too humid the majority of the year.
--------------

I live in Brisbane (moved from Huddersfield last year). I agree about the humidity being the big difference. However, I do not find it that bad unless it is over 65% and combined with say 30 degrees plus.......that doesn't happen more than a couple of months a year in brissie.

The advantage of the humidity is that it stays warm at night (disadvantage perhaps if it is very warm i.e. the two months) which is good because it makes the night much more usable - just as well as it gets dark early here.

In Brisbane you can often sit outside a cafe late at night wearing shorts and a T shirt. You wouldn't be able to do that if it wasn't humid.

Also, I haven't had dry skin since I have arrived in Brissie...humidity is good for the skin.

I think Brissie weather is a good trade....good weather for 10 months of the year.

I do find walking around midday in the summer sun a bit too strong though....you learn to stick to the shadows.

best regards,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.