Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cold nights in Brissie

Wikiposts

Cold nights in Brissie

Old May 16th 2005, 11:22 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cold nights in Brissie

Maybe a stupid question, but I have only ever had central heating!
As the nights are getting cold (14^C!), we are thinking of lighting our "fire" somehow.
What do you put in them? Wood or coal or other? And where do you buy (cheaply)?
The fire is a stand alone metal thing with a glass door and chimney that goes through the roof.
Where do you dispose of the cold embers?
Oh yeah, how do you light them!

Andrew
Old May 16th 2005, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Cold nights in Brissie

Sounds like you have a Coonara.

From experience if I remember rightly, as it was 20 years ago that I had one, you start with kindling and newspaper, then gradually add bigger pieces of wood.

You can buy the wood and kindling at Bunnings.

The one we had also had a fan on it so it blew warm air out into the room. And there's a drawer on the bottom that the embers fall into. You just pull out the drawer and empty it, then slide it back in again.

Hope this helps.
Old May 16th 2005, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

I was thinking about these wood burning stoves. What happens when you go outside on a cold dark night to get some wood from the wood pile? Aren't there loads of creepy crawlies attracted to hiding in the wood?
Old May 17th 2005, 12:14 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
Maybe a stupid question, but I have only ever had central heating!
As the nights are getting cold (14^C!), we are thinking of lighting our "fire" somehow.
What do you put in them? Wood or coal or other? And where do you buy (cheaply)?
The fire is a stand alone metal thing with a glass door and chimney that goes through the roof.
Where do you dispose of the cold embers?
Oh yeah, how do you light them!

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

Don't know what make your combustion heater is, but heres a general run down from the makers of ours

http://www.ultimatewoodheaters.com/wood/instr.htm

SAFETY PRECAUTIONS
Before starting a fire in the heater make sure the immediate area is clear of combustible materials such as clothes, newspaper, furniture etc.
Never allow anyone to operate the heater who is unfamiliar with the unit or the contents of this manual.
Never use petrol, kerosene or similar liquids to start or 'freshen up' a fire. Keep all such liquids well away from the heater.
Do not 'over fire' the heater. Always operate with the door closed except when lighting or refueling.
Keep toddlers and children away from the heater while it's operating.
Do not burn rubbish as its contents are usually unknown and could damage the unit. The resulting fumes could also be dangerous to your health.
Do not burn wet or green wood.
Do not install the unit closer to combustibles than shown on the compliance plate, or a hazardous situation may result
STARTING A FIRE
1. Open the firebox by turning the handle in an anticlockwise direction from the vertical down locked position approximately the 10 minutes past position, pulling gently outwards. As the door catch releases, slowly open the door.
2. Set the air control to the maximum position (as far to the right as possible). 3. Place several crinkled wads of newspaper directly on top of the firebricks (if fitted)
4. Place several small pieces of dry kindling wood on top of the paper. (it is advisable to place more newspaper on top of the kindling to enable the flue to heat quickly; this will improve the initial response of the heater).
5. Light the bottom paper and kindling and leave the door slightly ajar to allow extra air for the initial combustion.
6. Allow a few minutes for the kindling to be well alight then add some small split wood.
7. Return the door to the ajar position until the split wood is well aliqht then close the door fully.
8. After approximately 30 minutes the fan can be set to the desired position i.e. BOOST, HIGH or LOW.
9. As the area nears the required temperature reduce the air setting in small stages by sliding the control to the left until the heat output maintains the most comfortable temperature.

IMPORTANT NOTES:
1. Do not burn a large fire until the heater paint has cured. This usually takes two or three firings and may produce a light smoke and odour. This is normal and is no cause for alarm.
2. Do NOT throw wood into the firebox as this may cause damage to the firebrick lining in the firebox.
NORMAL OPERATION
After a fire has been lit (See Starting a Fire), the following operating instructions should be observed.
1. Once the fire is well alight and a good bed of coals is established, slowly move the draft control to the left in small stages until the heat output maintains a desired level.
2. Once the heater has reached operating temperature, which generally takes around 20 30 minutes, the fan should be turned on to at least the low setting.
3. It is not advisable to burn the heater hot without the use of the fan. It is more efficient to slow the burn rate and utilize the fan to circulate the heat. This operation method will conserve fuel and maximise the heat output of the unit.
To obtain an overnight burn, follow these simple instructions:
1. An hour before you intend to close down the heater, load the firebox with large pieces of dry firewood.
2. Open the air slide fully to the high position.
3. After the load of wood has been fully alight, slowly slide the air control to the low position. This process normally takes about 45 minutes.
4. In accordance with the Emissions Control Standard AS4013-92, it is important that on the overnight burn, the fan selector switch is off at all times.

These instructions should also be followed when refuelling the heater. This procedure allows the wood to catch well alight and the majority of the moisture and impurities to dissipate up the flue, reducing the amount of creosote forming on the glass and flue.

IMPORTANT NOTES:
1. Do not burn a large fire until the heater paint has cured. This usually takes two or three firings and may produce a light smoke and odour. This is normal and is no cause for alarm.
2. Do NOT throw wood into the firebox as this may cause damage to the firebrick lining in the firebox. It should be noted that the fire bricks may develop small cracks. This is quite normal and will not affect the performance of the heater. Because firebricks are liable to abuse they are not covered in the warranty
3. Do not slam the firebox door. Wood could be protruding from the firebox and a broken door glass may result.
I find that using 2 or 3 firelighters under the newspaper gets the fire going very easily.

By far the most efficient way to buy wood is to buy it by the "load", you can usually get it from a produce place or from a landscaping suppies yard. The wood you get from Bunnings would send you broke :scared: . I usually pay around $100 delivered for a load, lasts a whole winter (depending on how often I light the fire, only had it on twice so far this year, its not on tonight, I'll be lucky to use a wholeload at this rate). The only downside is that you need to have somewhere to store it, although when its properly stacked, it really doesnt take up that much room.

As for the ashes, I just usually put then in a bag in the bin!

Hope that helps.
Old May 17th 2005, 12:38 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Hi Andrew,

I find that using 2 or 3 firelighters under the newspaper gets the fire going very easily.

By far the most efficient way to buy wood is to buy it by the "load", you can usually get it from a produce place or from a landscaping suppies yard. The wood you get from Bunnings would send you broke :scared: . I usually pay around $100 delivered for a load, lasts a whole winter (depending on how often I light the fire, only had it on twice so far this year, its not on tonight, I'll be lucky to use a wholeload at this rate). The only downside is that you need to have somewhere to store it, although when its properly stacked, it really doesnt take up that much room.

Hope that helps.
Be careful of ya piles

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=piles+control

and you can always get your own

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...a+cut+real+bad

We were fortunate to have some extreme trees in our yard, we had them cut down hired a splitter and we have wood for the next year. Also when the council come and chop down trees in the reserve behind us i'm just cheeky and go ask for it!

I tend to just use scrumpled paper and twigs/ kindling (heaps to be had outside factories that make window frames etc) leave the bottom drawer open and whoosh, off it goes no probs.

Like Mrs DB says make sur you stack it and do it away from the house to help prevent white ants. And get the wood in before night time just in case

Last edited by hevs; May 17th 2005 at 1:18 am.
Old May 17th 2005, 11:07 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Andrew,

Don't know what make your combustion heater is, but heres a general run down from the makers of ours

http://www.ultimatewoodheaters.com/wood/instr.htm

Hope that helps.
Thanks
Mine is a Vogue Navara
It has a lever at the bottom that I have no idea wht for. It just goes in and out!
It has another lever at the top which I think controls a flap inside the chimney.
It has no tray for the embers/ash nor a grill to place the logs on.
Practice, I suppose, will teach me how to use.

Still havent figured out how to make our rc ac go warm (probably add a zilion dollars to the elcetric bill anyway)

Andrew
Old May 17th 2005, 11:30 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

we pay $65 for a load of split hard wood logs... but that's coz we're out in the sticks! If we had a trailer or a ute, we could pick up a load for about $30.

As we only burn wood, all the wood ash goes onto the garden, as it's good for the garden, specially veggies (just mix well into the soil, spreading it out, don't stick it on the veggie!).

We had another overnight low of 4'c here. Brass monkey season is coming... cool!

Old May 17th 2005, 11:57 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Brissiegirl
We had another overnight low of 4'c here. Brass monkey season is coming... cool!
The lowest for us so far has been 14.3°C (overnight), I'm glad we're not out your way
But even Brisbane itself has been down to 12.2°C, and Ipswich has hit 9.2°C.

Old May 17th 2005, 12:18 pm
wombat42

l don't think anyones in danger of dieing of hypothermia in Brisbane.

Old May 17th 2005, 12:43 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by wombat42
l don't think anyones in danger of dieing of hypothermia in Brisbane.
I only remember one significant frost when I was kid growing up in Brisbane... otherwise it was just chilly...
Old May 17th 2005, 12:51 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
Thanks
Mine is a Vogue Navara
It has a lever at the bottom that I have no idea wht for. It just goes in and out!
It has another lever at the top which I think controls a flap inside the chimney.
It has no tray for the embers/ash nor a grill to place the logs on.
Practice, I suppose, will teach me how to use.

Still havent figured out how to make our rc ac go warm (probably add a zilion dollars to the elcetric bill anyway)

Andrew
Ours has no tray for the embers either, I just shovel it out of the firebox. Since they are so efficient, you'll find that you wont have a huge amount of ash left anyway. Ours doesnt have a grill either, I just put it all directly on the base of the firebox.

This is the only reference I could find to yours online, half way down the right hand side column.
http://www.tolgatraders.com.au/heaters_prices.php

My guess is that the flap at the bottom is air control, try pulling it all the way out when you light it. Top one - hmmmmm your guess is as good as mine .

Brissiegirl, a small amount of ash on the garden is ok, but it makes the soil very alkaline if you use very much.

Heres ours, its not freestanding.
Attached Thumbnails Cold nights in Brissie-loungedining.jpg  
Old May 17th 2005, 2:37 pm
I don't re Member

Ours has no tray for the embers either, I just shovel it out of the firebox. Since they are so efficient, you'll find that you wont have a huge amount of ash left anyway. Ours doesnt have a grill either, I just put it all directly on the base of the firebox.

This is the only reference I could find to yours online, half way down the right hand side column.
http://www.tolgatraders.com.au/heaters_prices.php

My guess is that the flap at the bottom is air control, try pulling it all the way out when you light it. Top one - hmmmmm your guess is as good as mine .

Brissiegirl, a small amount of ash on the garden is ok, but it makes the soil very alkaline if you use very much.

Mrs D
Thanks for that!
Indeed that is our one! In built fan?? Certainly no electric supply to it.
I am getting there now!
Will order some wood soon!

Andrew
Old May 17th 2005, 8:36 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

You've got the fire on in the daytime?
Old May 17th 2005, 8:52 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by jayr
You've got the fire on in the daytime?
LOL, noooo, that was taken by the real estate before we bought it for "atmosphere", thats not even our furniture, if it was a pic of ours, you'd see alot more of a mess than that

Last edited by MrsDagboy; May 17th 2005 at 8:54 pm.
Old May 17th 2005, 8:53 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brissiegirl
we pay $65 for a load of split hard wood logs... but that's coz we're out in the sticks! If we had a trailer or a ute, we could pick up a load for about $30.

As we only burn wood, all the wood ash goes onto the garden, as it's good for the garden, specially veggies (just mix well into the soil, spreading it out, don't stick it on the veggie!).

Anytime we throw ashes on our allotment, we have a nightmare with thistles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.