Wikiposts

Cold Feet!!

Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

wendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cold Feet!!

Hi
I was interested to hear you had trouble finding work my husbands also a welder / fabricator - by the sounds of it we like you were lead to believe there was loads of work for him - our PR visa was rushed through because of the lack of skilled workers
we are looking to move to Melbourne/Geelong and we arrive at the beginning of January any advise you could give would be much appreciated
Originally Posted by richyrocker
hi
been in Ozz , Tasmania, Melbourne, geelong, for 8 weeks now.
1st impressions ....

Traffic is extreme at all hrs specially in the cities , beware of overtaking , undertaking and getting boxed into a lane , there,s no forgiving on the roads.
House prices though slightly cheaper are still expensive for what you get , remember most are thrown up in a couple of weeks and are basic timber framed buildings with brick or weather board cladding , do yourself a massive favour a build your own , most can be bought as kits , easy peasy.
Work , Ive found it extremely difficult to get a job even though i am a timed served engineer, welder,fabricator and was fast tracked state sponsored ?
Most job agency's are useless , only a hard knock and personal handing out of CV,s to businesses has brought any results, even then they try and get you cheap .
Ive had to take job in a trade i gave up 10 years ago for the same pay as i was earning 15 years ago in the UK , Ive had to take it as funds are getting low.which brings me onto the next subject ....
You need to know exactly where you want to live
ideally you need to stay with friends or do the complete sell up and move.
most brits Ive met out here wish they toured the country before they bought a home .
If you hope of finding work while travelling as a permanent resident its nigh on impossible , they like you to have a fixed address within the are or suburb and unless you are lucky and find work outside the city's or towns be prepared for a commute with heavy traffic.
sorry to sound so pessimistic but this has been our 2 months experience so far , hopefully things will get better as we get wiser .
just be prepared for every eventuality .
best luck I'm sure everyones experiences are different so dont see it as all negative .
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:11 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wendywoo
I was interested to hear you had trouble finding work my husbands also a welder / fabricator - by the sounds of it we like you were lead to believe there was loads of work for him - our PR visa was rushed through because of the lack of skilled workers
This has cropped up loads of times in the past.

Many people have found it difficult to find work despite the supposed lack of skilled workers.

Much seems to depend on where you plan to live and if the jobs are in that area.

G
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:22 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling

Many people have found it difficult to find work despite the supposed lack of skilled workers.

Much seems to depend on where you plan to live and if the jobs are in that area.

G
That's absolutley right.

Seems ironic that you have to be highly skilled for a 136 visa, are expected to pass stringent assessments of your trade....and yet it's difficult to get a job in that particular field. AND Aus is talking about bringing more skilled migrants in

Don't let that put you off though....there's allus something you can do, just be prepared to do other types of work
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to say that I have been reading these posts and agree with how everyone feels.
I went through a rough patch a few weeks ago and started to get cold feet.
The whole migration process is one long rollercoaster of emotions from start to end.
I was telling one of my friends how I felt and they said you would not be feeling as bad as this if you had sold your house by now.
Its true as the house sale has dragged on and on I feel as though we are never going to get there and then statrt thinking maybe its not meant to be.
You are certaintly not alone there are loads of us who go through the same and particuarly it seems to be the women who feel it most.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10
Just to say that I have been reading these posts and agree with how everyone feels.
I went through a rough patch a few weeks ago and started to get cold feet.
The whole migration process is one long rollercoaster of emotions from start to end.
I was telling one of my friends how I felt and they said you would not be feeling as bad as this if you had sold your house by now.
Its true as the house sale has dragged on and on I feel as though we are never going to get there and then statrt thinking maybe its not meant to be.
You are certaintly not alone there are loads of us who go through the same and particuarly it seems to be the women who feel it most.
Spot on!

We went through the same ups/downs and should we/shouldn't we.

It's normal.

We got here.....and we LOVE it

So don't worry
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Spot on!

We went through the same ups/downs and should we/shouldn't we.

It's normal.

We got here.....and we LOVE it

So don't worry
Thats' great to hear and I am glad it is all going well for you. May it continue.
Somedays I just cannot wait to go then others I am all over the place.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

I got cold feet once we were actually here, before we started opening bank accounts and stuff.
You are bound to have reservations as it is probably the most immense thing you have done in your life, but if you don't do it when you have the chance you will always regret it and wonder what if??
We love it here and I think that part of that is the acceptance that things are different and we don't expect them to be similar. I have had really bad bouts of homesickness but have worked through it and now couldn't imagine living anywhere else.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 3:12 am
Bring me SUNSHINE!

emmieshaw19 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Michelle & Chris
Hi Emma

Saw your thread, have you got your visa all sorted?

What can I say, you don't sound like your very happy where you are now. My husband and 2 girls (4 &12) are just starting out on the long visa journey. So I know what you mean about making that decision on leaving. I feel we're much like your self. We're doing ok, not living like rocka fella but just rubbing along. I personal feel that all I seem to do is go to work and come home again. I know longer feel that the UK has much to offer. On the one hand its not a bad place but I certainly think that life could improve. The big one has to be just what will the UK be like for our kids. Its certainly gone down hill since I was young so what will it be like in another 10-20 years, I don't see things improving.

My brother and sister in law have recently moved to Brisbane and they are loving it. They often comment just how much there is to do for kids. The cost of living is certainly cheaper. On the whole the people on BE seem so up beat and positive about there experiences. Nothing is ever going to be perfect but I certainly believe that it can be better, why shouldn't it. As for trades men my brother in law says that they get paid alot more in OZ than in the UK. So maybe a little more cash, some sun shine and cheaper cost of living might help with not being your own boss. And it doesn't have to be for ever. I believe that as long as you employ OZ people you can have your own biz.

You'll make friends, hard not to with 3 kids, and hey if we get there we'll do coffee.

All I have to do is convince my husband not to accept a job in New Zealand if its offered, I prefer Oz, deep down.

Chin up , it could be wonderful, and if not there's no shame in coming home. Some would never be brave enough to try.

Michelle
Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the advice. No we haven't got our Visas yet. Still waiting for my husbands previous employer to send us a letter to confirm he worked there for the TRA. Think we have to do that first as we are hoping to go on the 136 Visa. I hope everything goes ok for you x I know what you mean about the kids, ours are 2, 5 and 7 year old and where we are is rubbish for things to do. Our main park has old rusty equipment and is not suitable at all and we too would like better for them. My husband (Chris too!) definitely won't miss the paperwork side of the business so maybe it's a blessing in disguise. Like you say, the sunshine and cheaper cost of living has got to be good!

We always said if it didn't work we would come home. If we don't try it I think we will regret it.

Thanks again and good luck to you x
Old Oct 8th 2005, 3:16 am
Bring me SUNSHINE!

Originally Posted by molesey
Don't worry you are not the only one feeling like this.
We are due to go to oz sometime next year, and one half of me know's its the right thing to do and i'm really excited but the other half is panicking, willl i be able to adjust, am i going to get depressed because ive left my home, my job, my friends, my family, my two 18 month old adorable nephews and one niece or nephew due in 10 days time,all behind and we are going to be a newly married couple, is all of this going to put us under pressure to succeed.
I have spoken to a few people who are in the same boat, i think its a natural thing to feel the way you are, all you have to remember when you are felling down and missing england, the reason WHY you decided to leave,
I hope ive helped?
good luck
Hi,

Thank you for advice. It's nice to hear other people have gone or going through the same thing. I'm the same, scared and excited. If we do get there and I feel down I'll remember this day when I looked out of the window and it's chucking it down with rain, cloudy and cold then I'll know for sure why we went!! Bring me sunshine!

I hope it goes well for you x
Old Oct 8th 2005, 3:20 am
Bring me SUNSHINE!

Originally Posted by Perthforme
My sister got biten by one and they gave her a very stong antihistimen shot
and she was fine its like a bad bee sting !
But in a year i had there never even saw one but guess easy to find if you want to .
Hi,

Thanks for that!! Alot of people say if you look for them you'll find them and others say they have the big ones sat in the corner of their bathroom and leave them to eat the cockroaches, errr!!
Old Oct 8th 2005, 3:22 am
Bring me SUNSHINE!

Originally Posted by Ransi
Awwww....wish I could help...I thought you were on about the series Cold Feet...
Bless you!! No, not the series Cold Feet, good series that was as well. x
Old Oct 8th 2005, 3:23 am
Badge

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
Seems to me that by the time visas are issued, particularly for non fast track or non MODL trades, and the demands are noted, the demand is long gone. DIMA play catch up all the time. You'd hope that MODL would be more on the ball with faster turnaround times.

Badge

Old Oct 8th 2005, 3:24 am
Bring me SUNSHINE!

Originally Posted by kimi
Hi

I think everyone gets cold feet to a sort of degree.

I think you should sit down and think what made you first think of coming downunder and go from there. Maybe a holiday out here would help first so you could see what its like first hand.

Good luck thought with whatever you decide.

Kim
Hi Kimi,

I think you are right. Maybe to have the chance to have a look round at the places we like the sound of will definitely help.

Thanks
Old Oct 8th 2005, 3:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmieshaw19
Hi,

Thanks for that!! Alot of people say if you look for them you'll find them and others say they have the big ones sat in the corner of their bathroom and leave them to eat the cockroaches, errr!!
Thats true enough - you don't get roaches if you have a pet huntsman to see them off. The kids soon learn what is ok, and what isn't.

As for the cold feet, I think everyone who has emigrated has gone through the same feelings. Just remember - if you don't take the plunge, you will never know, and you may always regret it
Old Oct 8th 2005, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

Haven't had my cold feet stage yet,but I'm sure it will come! We hope to sell house & leave in jan 06. Neither of us have been to Oz, & no jobs to go to
And I'm still not panicked!

I recon it's better to regret doing something,than to regret not doing it

Only time will tell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.