Cold Callers

Old Mar 20th 2011, 10:54 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cold Callers

We're getting lots of telephone cold callers. Is there an Aussie equivalent to the Telephone/Mail Preference Service?
Old Mar 20th 2011, 11:06 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cold Callers

Found the answer myself:

https://www.donotcall.gov.au/
Old Mar 20th 2011, 11:08 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Was just gonna tell you that! BUT charities can still call, and be carefull of filling out raffle forms etc in shopping centres, just use your mobile, they dont tend to harrass you on a mobile!
Old Mar 20th 2011, 11:14 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by hevs
Was just gonna tell you that! BUT charities can still call, and be carefull of filling out raffle forms etc in shopping centres, just use your mobile, they dont tend to harrass you on a mobile!
Thanks, will bear that in mind.

Not that it's a problem (yet) but I've not found anything like the Mail Preference Service.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

They tend to go in batches I find, I can have about 6 in one day on occasions so sometimes I just don't bother answering the landline now as our business number is a Skypeout number on the computer or on my iphone.

The ones that really are hard are the charity ones as you don't like to say no but to be honest who do you know is on the other end of the phone? I did query one and she got really shirty with me!

The other day I did answer a survey on water quality and now they keep bugging me saying I've won a purifier but have to spend $100 odd on the filter to get it!

We really must do the do not call thing!

KK
Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:32 am
Banned

We've been getting a lot of cold callers from India offering us a free holiday in Australia ...As if that's something we want right now
Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:35 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
We're getting lots of telephone cold callers. Is there an Aussie equivalent to the Telephone/Mail Preference Service?
They are a pain, but here is one tip that I have noticed:
When one of these knobs calls and you answer, you will usually find that there is a few seconds delay before they start talking - I guess it's the software working as I'm sure that the caller is not physically dialling the number. So when I get a call and there is a delay, I immediately hang up. If I get it wrong and it's someone I know, they can always call straight back.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:36 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
We've been getting a lot of cold callers from India offering us a free holiday in Australia ...As if that's something we want right now
As a lot of the cold callers from India are a scam you may find that they are not controlled by the donotcall registers.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:37 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
They are a pain, but here is one tip that I have noticed:
When one of these knobs calls and you answer, you will usually find that there is a few seconds delay before they start talking - I guess it's the software working as I'm sure that the caller is not physically dialling the number. So when I get a call and there is a delay, I immediately hang up. If I get it wrong and it's someone I know, they can always call straight back.
Me too....
OR if its someone who wont take no for an answer putting the phone down on the side and "forgetting"they are on the line is fun too.....
Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:37 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalakim
The ones that really are hard are the charity ones as you don't like to say no but to be honest who do you know is on the other end of the phone? I did query one and she got really shirty with me!

KK
We don't get cold calls any more, but I used to tell Charity callers (very politely) that I have a set amount for charity donations and they are all done via direct debit and then wish them well with their fund raising.

Either that or you put the answer phone on and screen calls
Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
We don't get cold calls any more, but I used to tell Charity callers (very politely) that I have a set amount for charity donations and they are all done via direct debit and then wish them well with their fund raising.

Either that or you put the answer phone on and screen calls
What I really dislike is when charities send people round on door knock appeals. I know they have to collect their money somehow but I don't like being backed into a corner and how do you know that they are really genuine? If and when i want to contribute i will do so either online or via collection tins etc.
Even worse are these stupid power/phone companies reps that turn up on your doorstep trying to get you to sign up to all sorts of rubbish. They are genuinely amazed that you dont want to hand over all your personal details to them!! I always play the really dumb housewife and say oh no my husband looks after all that sort of complicated financial things and he is away for a month.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:57 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
What I really dislike is when charities send people round on door knock appeals. I know they have to collect their money somehow but I don't like being backed into a corner and how do you know that they are really genuine? If and when i want to contribute i will do so either online or via collection tins etc.
Even worse are these stupid power/phone companies reps that turn up on your doorstep trying to get you to sign up to all sorts of rubbish. They are genuinely amazed that you dont want to hand over all your personal details to them!! I always play the really dumb housewife and say oh no my husband looks after all that sort of complicated financial things and he is away for a month.
Having a 40m long driveway and electric gates puts a stop to this shite.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:00 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Having a 40m long driveway and electric gates puts a stop to this shite.
I'm working on it. In the mean time I might just get me some of this
http://www.electricfenceaustralia.co...00-meters.html

Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a plan....
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

We have not suffered the phone crap yet, but we did start to get the letter box full of crap we did not want, so i put a little note on mail box lid saying no crap mail, it worked we only get bills now
Also, is there a big calling for cold calling religous types at your door here? we have been here a month now and the door has knocked twice with them at the door, we are not religous and hold no grudge against there beliefs, just don't want to stand on my step explaining why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.