Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cockroaches Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cockroaches Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Dec 8th 2006, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cockroaches Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi All

Advice needed. Some of you might have read my epic cockroach story on another thread!!! Problems again.

We had a nest in the roof of our rental - pest guys sprayed it and any that were left we would eventually find dead!

Now I am finding lots in our garage, dead or dying, Large and small ones. I know the stuff the guys sprayed gets them in the end, but I fear we have another nest and I am keen to get rid of it, as the thought of them partying at night freaks me and occasionally they are getting into the house. :scared:

I fear the problem is the 20 or so cardboard boxes which is home to all our stuff from the UK which we have no room for in the house. I am told they love nesting in cardboard. Has anyone else had any similar problems, if so what did you do?

I am going to put down the baits which apparently takes poison back to the nest and stops the breeding cycle - but I am not sure whether I should remove all our stuff and store them in alternative containers. I would rather not as it will be expensive purchasing such storage items.

Please don't condemn me for being a wuss - roaches are just something I cannot stand.

Thanks guys

Nikki
Old Dec 8th 2006, 12:26 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cockroaches Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Nikki
Hi All

Advice needed. Some of you might have read my epic cockroach story on another thread!!! Problems again.

We had a nest in the roof of our rental - pest guys sprayed it and any that were left we would eventually find dead!

Now I am finding lots in our garage, dead or dying, Large and small ones. I know the stuff the guys sprayed gets them in the end, but I fear we have another nest and I am keen to get rid of it, as the thought of them partying at night freaks me and occasionally they are getting into the house. :scared:

I fear the problem is the 20 or so cardboard boxes which is home to all our stuff from the UK which we have no room for in the house. I am told they love nesting in cardboard. Has anyone else had any similar problems, if so what did you do?

I am going to put down the baits which apparently takes poison back to the nest and stops the breeding cycle - but I am not sure whether I should remove all our stuff and store them in alternative containers. I would rather not as it will be expensive purchasing such storage items.

Please don't condemn me for being a wuss - roaches are just something I cannot stand.

Thanks guys

Nikki
Your not a wuss! I absolutley hate them too. I have a cat and she kills them. I don't see many myself thankgod, but if the occasional one gets in we set the cat on it...
If your renting surely the landlord must have to pay for termination!!
Old Dec 8th 2006, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Landlord is my Dad, it is his rental. It has been sprayed, so they are dying eventually.......I spoke to the pest guy who said we need to empty all the contents of the boxes so they can find the nest! :scared:

I just wondered if these bait things would do the job and then I would not need to empty the boxes or would a new family return???

Enough problems with my own family, let alone the stray roach families which seem to have plagued me since we got here!!

You know we even had a night in Sydney a few weeks ago, stayed on the 12th floor in an apartment - my husband loaded up the dishwasher and guess what was in it..........you guessed it! The blighter's seem to follow me.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 12:43 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Landlord is my Dad, it is his rental. It has been sprayed, so they are dying eventually.......I spoke to the pest guy who said we need to empty all the contents of the boxes so they can find the nest! :scared:

I just wondered if these bait things would do the job and then I would not need to empty the boxes or would a new family return???

Enough problems with my own family, let alone the stray roach families which seem to have plagued me since we got here!!

You know we even had a night in Sydney a few weeks ago, stayed on the 12th floor in an apartment - my husband loaded up the dishwasher and guess what was in it..........you guessed it! The blighter's seem to follow me.
There too common in OZ...thats the problem. My hubby repairs white goods and most houses he visit's have coackroaches under or behind the white goods. They must like the warmth of the pipes behind fridges as he finds most of them there, loads all on top of each other..erghhhhhhhhhh!!
Old Dec 8th 2006, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

It is strange becuase my fear of the move to Oz was spiders, never gave a second thought to roaches.

I think it is because the pest guy told me that they mostly come out at night and I shouldn't worry!! I am ok with things outside, generally I can move away or it moves somewhere else in the neighbourhood, but the thought of them in the house and the fact they come out at night - plays havoc on my mind when trying to sleep! I visualise hundreds partying all around me when I am sleeping!

Should go to bed after lots of , I am sure I would sleep like a baby!!
Old Dec 8th 2006, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Secretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura about

Hi Nikki

Our last rental had a real problem with cockroaches due to the owners never having sprayed it for years until we moved in. When we were moving into our new rental we set 2 mortein bombs off in the garage of the old place as we also had loads of cardboard boxes used for storage in there and I had heard that they like to live in them. Last think I wanted to do was bring them and their eggs with us to the new rental! We have been in the new place a month now and have only seen 2 dead roaches, that we think may have fallen from one of the boxes we "bombed".

Debbie
Old Dec 8th 2006, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Thanks guys

Nikki
The pest control people that we hired told me that they lay their eggs on the boxes, so empty your stuff and get rid of the boxes at the tip as soon as you can (or you could give them to someone you don't like Perhaps get some of those large plastic storage boxes instead. Obviously they cant lay their eggs in the plastic.
If you move house, never take the boxes from one place to another if you know that you have the cockroaches as you will be taking the eggs with you.

They also said that those fruit boxes that you can get from the fruit shops for moving stuff in are often riddled with cockroach eggs! If the fruit comes from Victoria, they will often be the German roaches, which are the tiny ones, and are hard to erradicate.

It's the stuff of nightmares, I can't stand it! Revolting.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

paulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nice

Originally Posted by paulrachel
There too common in OZ...thats the problem. My hubby repairs white goods and most houses he visit's have coackroaches under or behind the white goods. They must like the warmth of the pipes behind fridges as he finds most of them there, loads all on top of each other..erghhhhhhhhhh!!

Yes they like the moisture of the pipework and the drains, thats were they normally live, well here in Spain anyway. Here's a great story. My freind had a blocked kitchen drain so to clear it she poured neat drain clean fluid down it, not sure of the name of it, but in Spain everything is powerful and has to be dilluted by 30%, or so it seems, she said the smell was incredible. She left the house for the afternoon with her kids and upon her return it was dark , she parked the car in her drive and her headlights were shining on her palm tree in the garden, she said the tree was moving!!!! As though it was alive and she couldnt figure out what it was, her children were laughing saying it was her eyesight until the eldest got out of the car and screamed the place down, the whole trunk was covered with roaches!!! :scared: They all screamed which alerted the neighbours who came to her rescue and they called pest control. They said because of the strength of the cleaner it had made the roaches seek fresh air and make their way above land away from the drains where the others were probably getting poisoned. She said there must have been thousands. Fotunately the pest guy exterminated them all but did she have a mess to clear in the morning. Urrrrrghh, the thought of them under my house :scared:
Old Dec 8th 2006, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

What a story!!! I have also been told they love Palm Tree's, what do you think we have all around our rental!!!!

On the subject of the eggs, can you actually see them - would you know they were on your stuff? Reason I am asking is that we want to bring our Xmas decs in from the garage, which is in one of the boxes - should I just by new rather than risk bringing in eggs???

Thanks guys

Nikki
Old Dec 8th 2006, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

What a story!!! I have also been told they love Palm Tree's, what do you think we have all around our rental!!!!

On the subject of the eggs, can you actually see them - would you know they were on your stuff? Reason I am asking is that we want to bring our Xmas decs in from the garage, which is in one of the boxes - should I just by new rather than risk bringing in eggs???

Thanks guys

Nikki
Oh crumbs, that is a good question. I am sure you can't see the eggs, but i really have no idea. Also I expect it depends what you decorations are made of.
Just imagine if they like books, blimey I have hundreds which were stored for ages. I have only just got around to unpacking most of our stuff after being here for five years. Don't like to rush things!

It can't stand it. I wish I had been warned by my Aussie rellies about the roaches, they kept that quiet!
Old Dec 8th 2006, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

When you've been here as long as I have you simply put baits in the appropriate places and forget about them. It's not like the UK where only people with filthy homes that have roaches.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gibbo
When you've been here as long as I have you simply put baits in the appropriate places and forget about them. It's not like the UK where only people with filthy homes that have roaches.
How long have you been here?

I have been told the Cockroaches in Queensland are alot more prolific than the ones in Sydney, is that right?
Old Dec 8th 2006, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cockroaches Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Gibbo
So we in the Uk can also forget about them!
Old Dec 8th 2006, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf42
So we in the Uk can also forget about them!
I saw one in a hospital once, all on his own self, heading to the canteen. He was in an awful hurry.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cockroaches Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
I saw one in a hospital once, all on his own self, heading to the canteen. He was in an awful hurry.
no doubt struggling to find somewhere dirty!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.