Wikiposts

Cockroaches

Old Jan 22nd 2006, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cockroaches

I wish I hadn't read this post
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppett44
I wish I hadn't read this post
LOL Me too

Been skipping past it all morning, but I had to look !
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 11:15 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

I find standing on any you see and listening for a crunch helps kill them without spray then simple toilet paper and flush to dispose of... .
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 11:19 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
I find standing on any you see and listening for a crunch helps kill them without spray then simple toilet paper and flush to dispose of... .
Unless you have a plain cream carpet.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 11:21 pm

You can buy Vanish in Aus... should do the trick.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

Chrystalk has a spectacular aura aboutChrystalk has a spectacular aura aboutChrystalk has a spectacular aura about

I lived in Brisbane most of my life (in UK at moment, but moving back with my husband in September) and Cockies are a fact of life there!!

The only thing you can do is get the exterminators in once every six months.

Even then you will still see the odd one!
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Chrystalk
I lived in Brisbane most of my life (in UK at moment, but moving back with my husband in September) and Cockies are a fact of life there!!

The only thing you can do is get the exterminators in once every six months.

Even then you will still see the odd one!
Could always start eating them like Chinese etc.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Or we could give them names (always helps to reduce the eugh factor), keep them as pets and race them! Could be a right little earner

PS Here's a classic cockie thread, warning: not for the faint hearted :scared: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=cockroaches

Last edited by Larissa; Jan 23rd 2006 at 12:29 pm. Reason: link to classic cockie thread for newbies
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 12:59 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Larissa
- not sure if this is an urban myth but apparently they can eject their eggs when squashed
The other evening the screen door was open for a moment and hubby suddenly saw something black on the floor moving fairly fast. Didn't stop to check what it was but smacked it with his shoe, moved the shoe away and the thing was obviously dead but there were a few little things scurrying out of it - they got squished as well. Too much of a mess to work out what it/they was/were
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Apologies if there are threads on this I haven't found, but I'm rather freaked out from having a cockroach leap out of my food cupboard this morning, so didn't take the time to look.

Anyone here ever had the odd cockroach in the home - as in, saw one but didn't see any more? Our house cannot be described as old - a couple of years at most, and hasn't been heavily occupied as the owner is in the navy and was hardly ever here prior to letting it to us. I'm pretty scrupulous about keeping the place clean - as clean as you ever can with an 8yo! - but certainly I wipe down all the kitchen surfaces each day and get rid of any cooking spills. I don't leave any food lying around on work-surfaces, or uncovered in cupboards, so I'm a bit puzzled as to what has attracted the damned thing. Can they *hitch a ride* on shopping - it appeared to leap off the cornflake box when I took it out of the cupboard for breakfast.... :scared:

The pest control website says that if you see cockroaches during the daytime, you've got a serious problem. I definitely have not got the balls to clear out the cupboard - dh will do it tonight for me as one more of those would give me a heart attack. This one frightened the life out of me. Spiders don't bother me in the least but cockroaches.....bleuggghhhh.

Anyone any experiences or advice to share? (only gentle ones please - I'm still trembling....)

Sue
Now i know why I chose Canada and not Australia, Roaches dont like to be cold... "lol"
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 1:33 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeannie
Now i know why I chose Canada and not Australia, Roaches dont like to be cold... "lol"
Neither do I. Oy! you calling me a cockroach
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

smidgemum2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh vile! I hate the cockroaches and don't think I will ever get to think of them as not dirty....although when people come to stay with us from the UK, I tell them to think of them like ladybirds!!!

YUK STORY COMING UP....

On the subject of pantry moths....I had never even heard of these until last week when my husband noticed some stuff for getting rid of them at the supermarket, but we have had a bad experience with them a month back and at the time thought it was a maggot/fly problem. I had always used pegs or wire ties on bags of sultanas/pine nuts that kind of thing. Until a few weeks ago, my three year old asked for some sultanas. I grabbed a handful and put them in a little bowl for her. A few minutes later she exclaimed that she had some worms in her bowl....how disgusting...it was crawling with little maggot things. I threw out anything that wasn't in a sealed container as the eggs had been laid all over packets etc. However, we had noticed quite a few little moths in our food cupboard and put 2 and 2 together. Moral of the story....put everything in containers....I went mental in Woolies!!!

Angela
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

ANOTHER YUK STORY

on my first trip to Oz back in 2001 i was on holiday with my mum.... we were at the end of the trip and were staying in sydney for a few days. mum was tired so we stayed in the hotel (a WONDERFUL hotel.... i loved it!) and i hired one of the video's from reception for the night.

so (setting the scene) i'm lying on 1 half of the double bed with my head at the bottom watching the tv... mum is lying on the other half of the bed the other way around, sleeping.My bed (bunk beds) is the other side of the room on the left... the door and en suite are on the right.

tonights movie of choice was the house on haunted hill (remake) and it was just after a really icky bit with loads of bugs crawling about (couldn't make this up if i tried) i felt a little tickon of the side of my face and though it was a mozzie or something. so i swiped at my face and in front of my landed a cockie the SIZE OF MY THUMB!.............

well......... i jumped up, screamed, jumped on my mum and ran into the ensuite, jumped up on the toilet and stood their CRYING! until mum finally grabbed her slipper and did away with the beasite.... it was the biggest firght i got in my whole life.... i swear it was made worse by watching that awful horror film at the time!

needless to say i slept in the top bunk that night!!! i hate cockroaches!
Old Jan 24th 2006, 12:06 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

get the place sprayed...there r natural sprays about....FFS if u see a huge cockie dont squish it cos they r the females full of eggs and they will all hatch and u will be over run...or get a few gekos in the house then u dont need to spray
Old Jan 24th 2006, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

WickedWitchofWest is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jeannie
What about Melbourne? Do they (the cockraches) live there as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.