Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cockroach Racing - Australia Day

Cockroach Racing - Australia Day

Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cockroach Racing - Australia Day

Who fancies a meet at the Story Bridge Hotel on Australia Day for the World Championship Cockroach Races? Thursday 26th January.

And before you accuse me of losing the plot, I have attached a link which proves that I am not making this up. The event has been going on since 1982 and is heavily attended and sounds like a good time is had by all.

http://www.2camels.com/destination371.php3

I phoned up the hotel to try and work out where they stage the event. Apparently they close off the road and the racing 'ring' is set up opposite the pub on a grass verge. There is no cover charge. Just turn up.

The doors open at 11:00 o'clock - the first race is at 12:00, and there are thirteen races throughout the day. All sections of the hotel / pub are open to the public, and a lot of the furniture is removed to make room for the mass of people who descend upon the pub for this weird event.

And if you get bored and wish to continue your Australia Day celebrations elsewhere then Southbank have got all sorts of things going on including a firework display at 7:30pm, free river cruises on the Kookaburra River Queen, free cinema at the Suncorp piazza (10am - Young Einstein - 12noon - Danny Deckchair - 2pm - The Castle - 8pm - The Dish

Also 'The Paradise Food’s Australia Day Parade' : community groups, professional performers, marching bands and street theatre entertainers - the parade will depart from the corner of William and Queen Streets, move across Victoria Bridge, continue down Melbourne St, turn left into Grey Street and finish at the Ernest Street roundabout, South Bank.

I think there might be an F1-11 flyover too - but I spotted that on the Roma Street Parklands celebration, so I haven't been able to 100% confirm this - but if its true then I'm guessing it would be over the Story Bridge.

Anyway - anyone up for it? Last time we had a meet in the Story Bridge it was really difficult to find people cos its so large. So I suggest if you're interested then let me know on this thread (please don't PM me - my inbox is full!) and I'll PM you back with my mobile no. so you can text me on the day to find out where we're standing.

Netta
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

JG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really nice
Default Re: Cockroach Racing - Australia Day

Hey guys, how's it going?

Sounds interesting! We'll be up for it but I probably won't look as I really hate roaches! Honestly they make me feel sick! I'll give you a call through the week. We were just talking about Oz day and what to do.
Knackered! Family have gone now and we've been furniture shopping all week! Slowly getting the new place organised to move into next weekend.
Take care, talk soon.

Jo & Steve
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JohnAndNetta
Who fancies a meet at the Story Bridge Hotel on Australia Day for the World Championship Cockroach Races? Thursday 26th January.

And before you accuse me of losing the plot, I have attached a link which proves that I am not making this up. The event has been going on since 1982 and is heavily attended and sounds like a good time is had by all.

http://www.2camels.com/destination371.php3

I phoned up the hotel to try and work out where they stage the event. Apparently they close off the road and the racing 'ring' is set up opposite the pub on a grass verge. There is no cover charge. Just turn up.

The doors open at 11:00 o'clock - the first race is at 12:00, and there are thirteen races throughout the day. All sections of the hotel / pub are open to the public, and a lot of the furniture is removed to make room for the mass of people who descend upon the pub for this weird event.

And if you get bored and wish to continue your Australia Day celebrations elsewhere then Southbank have got all sorts of things going on including a firework display at 7:30pm, free river cruises on the Kookaburra River Queen, free cinema at the Suncorp piazza (10am - Young Einstein - 12noon - Danny Deckchair - 2pm - The Castle - 8pm - The Dish

Also 'The Paradise Food’s Australia Day Parade' : community groups, professional performers, marching bands and street theatre entertainers - the parade will depart from the corner of William and Queen Streets, move across Victoria Bridge, continue down Melbourne St, turn left into Grey Street and finish at the Ernest Street roundabout, South Bank.

I think there might be an F1-11 flyover too - but I spotted that on the Roma Street Parklands celebration, so I haven't been able to 100% confirm this - but if its true then I'm guessing it would be over the Story Bridge.

Anyway - anyone up for it? Last time we had a meet in the Story Bridge it was really difficult to find people cos its so large. So I suggest if you're interested then let me know on this thread (please don't PM me - my inbox is full!) and I'll PM you back with my mobile no. so you can text me on the day to find out where we're standing.

Netta
Sounds good Netta - count us in!!!
Karen x
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

cockroaches :scared: yuk sounds an intersting day though,we ll be there

tracey
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JG04
Hey guys, how's it going?

Sounds interesting! We'll be up for it but I probably won't look as I really hate roaches! Honestly they make me feel sick! I'll give you a call through the week. We were just talking about Oz day and what to do.
Knackered! Family have gone now and we've been furniture shopping all week! Slowly getting the new place organised to move into next weekend.
Take care, talk soon.

Jo & Steve
Hi Jo -

Nice to hear from you - sorry about missing the kayaking - how did you rate it? We had every intention of joining you but I hurt my back just before - we were doing some major tree dumping at Chandler refuse tip and we also managed to accumulate over 50 black rubbish sacks of leaves - all filled to capacity! So I managed to trap a nerve or something strange. I'm so unfit its embarrassing - today we went for our first cycle ride from Wynnum to Manly to Lota and back. Not very far, but a start on my new year keep fit campaign.

Don't worry about not being able to look at the cockroaches - to be honest they are probably the things I hate most about Australia so I'll be closing my eyes and feeling sick too!

speak soon - Netta
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karenjc
Sounds good Netta - count us in!!!
Karen x
Hi karen,

That's great news. I have just asked John to phone the Story Bridge pub again to make sure that young children are allowed - and the guy said that because this is predominantly a hotel, there is absolutely no problem, as long as they are with an adult. So that's good news for anyone with kids then.

Netta X
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

bump
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

JG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really nice

Hi,

Kayaking was great, really hard work though as the sea and currents were strong. Also my niece (we were in a double kayak) decided to give up on the return journey so I had to do all the paddling! She still managed to shout orders at me though! Was sore the next day. Anyway I am stalling completely! Surrounded by boxes, hoping they will pack themselves! Better get to it!

Hi Jo -

Nice to hear from you - sorry about missing the kayaking - how did you rate it? We had every intention of joining you but I hurt my back just before - we were doing some major tree dumping at Chandler refuse tip and we also managed to accumulate over 50 black rubbish sacks of leaves - all filled to capacity! So I managed to trap a nerve or something strange. I'm so unfit its embarrassing - today we went for our first cycle ride from Wynnum to Manly to Lota and back. Not very far, but a start on my new year keep fit campaign.

Don't worry about not being able to look at the cockroaches - to be honest they are probably the things I hate most about Australia so I'll be closing my eyes and feeling sick too!

speak soon - Netta
Old Jan 9th 2006, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

count us in!!!

always up for a bit of racing as long as i don't have to get anywhere near them!
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bump
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Not 100% if we'll be up, may stick to the GC.... Will let you know looks good fun though

Sue x
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bump
I shall continue to bump this but I'm beginning to realise that there can't possibly be any other expats near Brisbane CBD - we must be the only ones! - you're all on the GC, or Bayside!

Either that or for some strange reason you dislike cockroaches. Can't imagine why......

Netta
Old Jan 12th 2006, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

I shall continue to bump this but I'm beginning to realise that there can't possibly be any other expats near Brisbane CBD - we must be the only ones! - you're all on the GC, or Bayside!

Either that or for some strange reason you dislike cockroaches. Can't imagine why......

Netta
bump
Old Jan 12th 2006, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

bump

Bump again
Old Jan 12th 2006, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

for bumps sake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.