Reload this Page >

Cockatoo in my house

Cockatoo in my house

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:53 am
Banned

NewOZ will become famous soon enoughNewOZ will become famous soon enough
Default Cockatoo in my house

i want to get a cookie
i live in the suburbs, does cookies make noise?
is it possible to keep it quiet?
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:54 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cockatoo in my house

Originally Posted by NewOZ
i want to get a cookie
Cookies only make noise if you crunch them too hard.

I suggest dunking them in your tea to negate this effect.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:55 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cockatoo in my house

i want to get a cookie
Cookies make a crunching noise when you eat them.....they're only quiet when you dunk them in your tea first
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Cheers

Buzzy

PMSL - That's exactly what I thought too.

To the OP - yes they are noisy buggers, I used to have one
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:56 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Cheers

Buzzy
LOL .....great minds think alike
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:57 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Neighbour has one says they are better than dogs, but his wife says they do little craps all over you have to clean up.

You need big cage for when you are not in.

Plus need to get very young and hand feed apparantly are they can be quite vicious and also have heard people say if left to their own devices they will trash the house.

Saying that we also considered getting one but have made do with a dog for now.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 9:12 am
Banned

NewOZ will become famous soon enoughNewOZ will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by annqldau
Neighbour has one says they are better than dogs, but his wife says they do little craps all over you have to clean up.

You need big cage for when you are not in.

Plus need to get very young and hand feed apparantly are they can be quite vicious and also have heard people say if left to their own devices they will trash the house.

Saying that we also considered getting one but have made do with a dog for now.

what worries me is to disturb the neighbors!!!
then i need a big cage.
i dont have good knowledge in animals.
so are cookies 1 type or more?
which one is the best for home?
are they all talk?
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 9:28 am
....is FAB

Originally Posted by annqldau
and also have heard people say if left to their own devices they will trash the house.
I now have visions of a little bird upturning sofas in a complete rage
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 9:36 am
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

then i need a big cage.
are they all talk?

Have you set your browser to accept cookies.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Galahs are supposed to be good (they are pink and grey) but one nearly bit my toddlers finger off in the petshop, so I'm not so sure :scared:
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:19 am
Just Joined

dedwards is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not know about cockatoo's specifically but I assume petwise they are the same as other full size parrots..

You need to do some careful research before buying any full size parrot.
In response to your question yes they are loud but i would imagine that how often they screech depends on the bird itself.
In my opinion there are other worries that are much more important than the noise.
Firstly, they consider their owner their mate and can get rather possessive - attacking anybody they feel is a threat.
They normally live for about 60 years (sometimes 100) so they will outlive you - you need to make provisions for what happens to them after you die (and, yes, they will grieve your death).
They should not be trusted alone with strangers or kids as they can cause serious injury.
They need about as much attention as a three year old child. If they don't get it they will either trash the house, self-harm or both.

If you don't know much about birds i'd suggest starting with something smaller - they talk too. On the other hand, if you can't have kids and want the equivilent to a 3 year old child for the rest of your life then maybe a parrot is for you.

Personally, I have always loved the parrot family but out of respect for their needs the largest that I would buy is a Lorikeet.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 11:11 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

then i need a big cage.
are they all talk?
Basically what the poster above said, they can destroy everything and are very loud, will quieten down if covered up but whats the point in getting one to cover it up?

All parrots need a lot of attention and will get depressed if left alone, and like already mentioned live a very long time.

How about a cockatiel (weero) not as noisy and a lovely pet to have around
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 11:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My daughters want a parakeet or some such bird. I won't let them have one. I think it is the cruelest thing to cage a bird when they are supposed to fly free. This country is fab for the types of birds flying and nesting in your gardens - why would you want to imprison them
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 11:27 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypen20
My daughters want a parakeet or some such bird. I won't let them have one. I think it is the cruelest thing to cage a bird when they are supposed to fly free. This country is fab for the types of birds flying and nesting in your gardens - why would you want to imprison them
Totally agree Penny but if you ever do get a parakeet please don;t dunk it in your tea.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 11:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Hear hear. They are wild birds. Watch them flying in your garden - please don't imprison them - allow them their freedom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.