Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

coat of shipping and housing in south west wa

coat of shipping and housing in south west wa

Old Jul 22nd 2007, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

annkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud of
Default coat of shipping and housing in south west wa

can anyone enlighten me as to the costs of shipping the contents of a 3 bed house to wa? we are hoping to live in south west perth wa. we would also like to find out about the cost of buying a new build house? as this is what we hope to buy when we get there? any info is useful.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: coat of shipping and housing in south west wa

we shipped over a year ago now so prices have probably changed even if I could remember how much we paid !!

As for a new house build - it depends on where you want to build (coastal or inland and how fair south in the south west), what size block you're after (a fair few blocks are now 580sqm or less but you can still get bigger blocks depending on where you go) and what size house you are after.

You can get a general view from www.realestate.com and www.reiwa.com of block prices and most of the house builders have prices on their websites - just remember that these are for the basic package, a lot don't include floor fittings, painting, block paving, landscaping etc
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by annkc
can anyone enlighten me as to the costs of shipping the contents of a 3 bed house to wa? we are hoping to live in south west perth wa. we would also like to find out about the cost of buying a new build house? as this is what we hope to buy when we get there? any info is useful.
Hi,
A three bed house should just about fit into a 20ft container (don't go for a company that suggests a reefer) which i think is about 1000 square feet. This will cost between 3 to 4 thoussand pounds and then you will have to decide on what insurence you want, normall about 3% of the value of what you want insured.
Housing in perth is quite expensive, not much less than what you pay in most parts of the UK though still cheaper than the south of England.. if you go furtehr out of Perth you get more for your money.

Good luck with the move...

Cheers

Chris
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by annkc
oh yes, get quotes from at least three companies (say Dorree Bonner, Allied Pickfords, and Whites) and play them off against each other if you think the quote is to high..
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 1:49 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Also remember that most quotes are for delivery within the metropolitan area and if you are planning on moving South then you need to factor that in.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 2:20 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrispy
Hi,
A three bed house should just about fit into a 20ft container (don't go for a company that suggests a reefer) which i think is about 1000 square feet. This will cost between 3 to 4 thoussand pounds and then you will have to decide on what insurence you want, normall about 3% of the value of what you want insured.
Housing in perth is quite expensive, not much less than what you pay in most parts of the UK though still cheaper than the south of England.. if you go furtehr out of Perth you get more for your money.

Good luck with the move...

Cheers

Chris
Nothing wrong with reefer containers, we have used them on numerous international moves and no problems. Slightly smaller but not a significant difference and often works out slightly cheaper.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by northernbird
Nothing wrong with reefer containers, we have used them on numerous international moves and no problems. Slightly smaller but not a significant difference and often works out slightly cheaper.
Hi,
i didn't really make myself clear with regards reefers, they are smaller and slightly cheaper but i have heard of and found in my own experaince that sometimes a company will suggest a reefer when it is plainly to small and then charge extra for what doesn't fit in. we had 5 quotes, 4 said it would just fit in a 20ft container and were exactly right, one said it would all easily fit in a reefer and they were clearly wrong.. for a 3 bed house i would be surprised if it fitted in a reefer and so suggested against selecting them.

Cheers

Chris
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:33 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrispy
Hi,
i didn't really make myself clear with regards reefers, they are smaller and slightly cheaper but i have heard of and found in my own experaince that sometimes a company will suggest a reefer when it is plainly to small and then charge extra for what doesn't fit in. we had 5 quotes, 4 said it would just fit in a 20ft container and were exactly right, one said it would all easily fit in a reefer and they were clearly wrong.. for a 3 bed house i would be surprised if it fitted in a reefer and so suggested against selecting them.

Cheers

Chris
it isn't anything to do with size of house. we came from a 4 bed house and it fit in a reefer and always has done.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

annkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud of

thanks for the info, we r looking to go to margaret river or bunbury area as they seem to look nice. we are looking to buy a new build & hoping to get 4bed 2 bath with 2 car ports. can anyone let me know where to look, (websites) so that i can contact them. i have now emailed 4 companies regards the move so i will and c what they say. i will be playing them off one another so thanks for the tip! money better in my pocket then theres!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

oh, thanks ohippy for he real estate website i now have them noted
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

as a matter of interest which company did u find to be the best for u? i feel word of mouth is the best way to go. removals will tell u all the good points regards there company, but poeple that have used them will tell the truth!!!!