Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

coastal suburbs in WA

coastal suburbs in WA

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

viksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant future
Default coastal suburbs in WA

hi
im looking to move to perth at the end of this year so i need some advice on descent coastal areas near perth (max 30miles away)
my budget is about £300,000 so what would i be able to get for this
thanks
Vik
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: coastal suburbs in WA

Originally Posted by viksta1000
hi
im looking to move to perth at the end of this year so i need some advice on descent coastal areas near perth (max 30miles away)
my budget is about £300,000 so what would i be able to get for this
thanks
Vik
30 miles is 48 KM, and I assume you mean inland from the coast. So, you have pretty much covered most Perth suburbs. Prices vary so if you can narrow down what you are looking for you may be able to select suitable suburbs.

Cheers LL
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

viksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant future

hi
well a nice 4-5 bed double story house, 2 reception/living rooms, any other rooms are just a gift lol
20 min walk to the beach....... would i be able to get all this for my budget
cheers
Vik
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:56 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

hi
well a nice 4-5 bed double story house, 2 reception/living rooms, any other rooms are just a gift lol
20 min walk to the beach....... would i be able to get all this for my budget
cheers
Vik
Browse through these:

http://reiwa.com/
http://www.realestate.com.au
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by worzel
hi
cheers but i alredy have
i need to know the decent suburbs tho so i cn browse but dunno which suburbs to browse in lol
thanks tho
vik
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:41 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

hi
cheers but i alredy have
i need to know the decent suburbs tho so i cn browse but dunno which suburbs to browse in lol
thanks tho
vik
All the suburbs along the coast are decent, almost without exception (I am thinking Kwinana area with its industry is that exception). West Perth (Cottesloe, Trigg etc) are mature and very nice but may be out of your price range. Scarborough is a bit more affordable but backpacker territory. Heading North you may struggle in Hillarys, Mullaloo, Ocean Reef on that budget with those specs but could get lucky. Burns Beach is under construction as is Jindalee. Mindarie is popular with the poms due to the Marina (and English pub) but I think more like $1M.

Step in one suburb away from the sea and you can have almost any house in any suburb.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

hi
well i guess i can adjust my budget slightly, but how slightly are we talking about
when i went on holiday there i saw mindarie and ocean reef nd i loved them, i also saw quinns rocks but i wasnt able to go into the actual suburb due to lack of time...so hows quinns
so where abouts would there be a few brits...(jus to help me settle in)
also how is the property market in australia....what are we expecting to see in the next 5 or so years (rise or fall)
thanks
Vik
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:02 am
A former regular of BE

hi
well i guess i can adjust my budget slightly, but how slightly are we talking about
when i went on holiday there i saw mindarie and ocean reef nd i loved them, i also saw quinns rocks but i wasnt able to go into the actual suburb due to lack of time...so hows quinns
so where abouts would there be a few brits...(jus to help me settle in)
also how is the property market in australia....what are we expecting to see in the next 5 or so years (rise or fall)
thanks
Vik
Anywhere in the Joondalup / Clarkson areas will have about 25% poms. I think the same goes for Rockingham. I understand the attraction when you first come but it can work the other way after a while.

Prices are comparable with Sydney and Melbourne on the back of the resources boom and labour shortage so I can't see them rising much more, but some said that 2 years ago when prices were 25% less.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by worzel
Prices are comparable with Sydney and Melbourne on the back of the resources boom and labour shortage so I can't see them rising much more, but some said that 2 years ago when prices were 25% less.
so would u say the housing market in Aus is stable do u see it falling because i dont really want to move and then end up losing about 10% of the price of my house
thanks
vik
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

inOz2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Viksta

We seem to be in a similar position to yourself - we like Perth, can't (don't want to) afford coastal areas so are looking one or two suburbs in away from beach front but yet near enough to go to the seaside...

From our experience/research we understand the situation re: house prices as follows - having visited there twice before in 2004 & 2005, we certainly have seen prices shoot up unbelievably! Looking at sites like Reiwa today is depressing in terms of what we want to spend vs what is adverstised but as someone else posted on here the other day, Reiwa et al are interested in keeping prices high - that does not mean that's what the houses are selling for. Plus the recent raise in interest rate and comments about many houses in various suburbs on sale (not selling as fast) suggests that the market is cooling down/stabilising. That gives us hope that by the time we get there later this year, housing in areas desirable to us will still be an option for us.

As for desirable areas - that's a personal choice - for us the governing factor is good schools for children (catchment areas) & distance to work (most likely Perth CBD). As I understand it Perth suburbs are designed for the convenience lifestyle ie every other amenities like shopping malls, libraries, etc are near enough ie you see these every few miles.

Does anyone know of a website, similar to the land registry in the UK, that shows you ACTUAL prices of sold houses in different suburbs? I am sure its out there - I just haven't found it yet! That would be a better & realistic indicator of house prices I suppose...
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by inOz2008
Viksta

We seem to be in a similar position to yourself - we like Perth, can't (don't want to) afford coastal areas so are looking one or two suburbs in away from beach front but yet near enough to go to the seaside......
the furthest i want to go away from the beach is like a 20 min walk, dont know how that works into suburb distances though, mind you though, perth is like one of the only places where you can be a 20minute walk from the nearest beach, and a 20minute drive from the nearest city, thats probably the concept that won me over in the end, best of both worlds lol

Originally Posted by inOz2008
Does anyone know of a website, similar to the land registry in the UK, that shows you ACTUAL prices of sold houses in different suburbs?[/B] I am sure its out there - I just haven't found it yet! That would be a better & realistic indicator of house prices I suppose...
also realestate.au update their house prices regularly i had my eye on a house in mindarie which i first saw for $900,000 and eventually it sold for $820,000, so it was either the houseing market or just desperate sellers, aslso if you click on recently sold properties that will give you the prices of sold house prices

I like the suburbs like mindarie,hillarys & ocean reef as i have seen them and i like the area, however i want to just broaden my search in the suburbs but since i havnt seen any can anyone reccomend any with the same sort of criteria (location, house price etc) as mindarie and ocean reef areas

thanks
vik

Last edited by viksta1000; Jan 3rd 2008 at 6:11 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:19 pm
A former regular of BE

so would u say the housing market in Aus is stable do u see it falling because i dont really want to move and then end up losing about 10% of the price of my house
thanks
vik
If I knew that I could make a fortune. There is some uncertainty around the new govt and an expected rate rise in February but otherwise everything seems calm. WA relies heavily on the resources sector and we are having a boom now. There is always the risk of a pandemic or political change in China etc changing things radically but for now we have never had it so good.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

mind you though, perth is like one of the only places where you can be a 20minute walk from the nearest beach, and a 20minute drive from the nearest city, thats probably the concept that won me over in the end, best of both worlds
Actually in every state capital (except Brisbane) you can live within a 20 minute walk to the beach and a 20 min drive to the city. That includes Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Hobart and Darwin as well as multiple regional cities.

Whether you could afford the property in question is the real issue.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NickyC
Actually in every state capital (except Brisbane) you can live within a 20 minute walk to the beach and a 20 min drive to the city. That includes Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Hobart and Darwin as well as multiple regional cities.
well thats australia for you, sun, sand and the city