Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Coastal Qld-Cairns-Sunshine Coast-Brisbane - Tropical Cyclone Hamish

Coastal Qld-Cairns-Sunshine Coast-Brisbane - Tropical Cyclone Hamish

Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Far North & Northern Qld - Tropical Cyclone Hamish

Good luck you guys - let us hope that Hamish decides he doesnt want to come and stay but meanwhile hunker down and stay safe!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Good luck you guys - let us hope that Hamish decides he doesnt want to come and stay but meanwhile hunker down and stay safe!
Cheers Quoll. Thats the rain starting to get heavier. I'm hoping with the dry spell we had there for a week, the ground will be able to soak most of it up. Who am I kidding.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
The current forecast track would be a cause for concern as it forecast as a 4 (Larry was also a 4 for comparision ). http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml

Make preparations now by removing or tying down anything outside that can become a missile.

Your phone book should have cyclone instructions or check online at www.emergency.qld.gov.au.

You could loose power (dont buy frozen food). Flood waters may also affect the delivery of food & fuel.

Good luck

WW
I'd echo that - unfortunately I'm a bit out of touch on this one as I'm not back in Aus till Wednesday, so I'm only getting the info from work second hand. Check the advice on our website (see WanderingWombats link above) for how to prepare.

The 8am advice from the Bureau expects it to keep deepening as it moves
Currently a category 3 cyclone, located in the northwestern Coral Sea and at 7:00 am EST was estimated to be 230 kilometres east of Cairns and 310 kilometres north northeast of Townsville, moving south southeast at 17 kilometres per hour. Expected to continue moving south southeast
parallel to the coast while deepening.
Damaging wind gusts may affect coastal and island communities between Innisfail and St Lawrence during the next 24 hours.
DESTRUCTIVE WINDS may develop about coastal and island communities between Ayr and Proserpine [including the Whitsunday islands] early on Sunday morning, and extend south to St Lawrence during the day.

Damaging wind gusts may develop about coastal and island communities between St Lawrence and Hervey Bay [including Heron Island and the Bunker Group] within 24
to 48 hours.

As the cyclone moves southward and deepens, sea levels are expected to be
elevated above the normal tide along the coastline south of the cyclone
. Large waves may produce minor flooding along the foreshore. People living in areas likely to be affected by this flooding should take measures to protect their property as much as possible and be prepared to help their neighbours.

Areas of heavy rainfall may cause stream rises and possible flooding between
Townsville and Mackay during the next 24 hours.

People between Innisfail and St Lawrence should immediately commence or continue preparations, especially securing boats and property.

People between St Lawrence and Hervey Bay should consider what action they will need to take if the cyclone threat increases.

The next advice will be issued by 11:00 am EST Saturday 07 March.

IF YOU ARE AFFECTED BY THE CYCLONE AND YOU NEED HELP - sandbags, tarpaulins, rescue, anything like that, ring 132500 for the SES. They WILL be busy and you may have to hold but the call centres will be putting on more staff. Write the number down NOW so you have it if you need it.
If the situation is life-hreatening, ring 000.

http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/cyclone/

Further reading -
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363895 - Bix's story of Cyclone Larry from 3 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails Coastal Qld-Cairns-Sunshine Coast-Brisbane - Tropical Cyclone Hamish-idq65001-8.11-7.3.09.gif  
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:48 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by framac67
Cheers Quoll. Thats the rain starting to get heavier. I'm hoping with the dry spell we had there for a week, the ground will be able to soak most of it up. Who am I kidding.
I thought of you guys the moment they mentioned Mackay. Everything crossed for you and lots of prayers being said.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:06 am
Home and Happy

Default Re: Coastal Qld - Cairns to Sunshine Coast - Tropical Cyclone Hamish

I've changed the thread title to reflect the track which is likely to bring the cyclone a long way down the coast in some shape or form.

www.disaster.qld.gov.au is another site for info and preparations.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Gee Polly arent you glad you are still on holiday for a few days? Looks like the rain is ripping into McKay right now.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I've changed the thread title to reflect the track which is likely to bring the cyclone a long way down the coast in some shape or form.

www.disaster.qld.gov.au is another site for info and preparations.
Cheers Polly. The rain has eased for a bit but the garage room has copped it. If thats all, I can accept that. Its a concrete floor so heres hoping.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Cheers Polly. The rain has eased for a bit but the garage room has copped it. If thats all, I can accept that. Its a concrete floor so heres hoping.
Are you guys down below the Shell garage on the highway Windmill Cres way?

I was down that way a few weeks ago and was surprised that any council would allow an estate to be developed on such low lying land.

Good luck

WW
Old Mar 7th 2009, 3:16 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking of you and your family and praying everything is OK.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

I was down that way a few weeks ago and was surprised that any council would allow an estate to be developed on such low lying land.

Good luck

WW
No ww and thank god. They even had a pole with the wording, road prone to flooding and what do they build, low lying bungalows. I watched them being built and still wonder at the sheer stupidity. Our is more a problem with drains not taking the water away fast enough.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:02 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

hope you are ok wondering if cairns is going to see anything I can see the clouds coming over the hills which so far for us is a sure sign that the rain is coming as we speak the rain just starting.

good luck hope everyone stays safe down in Mackay and up hereif it hits.

x
Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wardy2
hope you are ok wondering if cairns is going to see anything I can see the clouds coming over the hills which so far for us is a sure sign that the rain is coming as we speak the rain just starting.

good luck hope everyone stays safe down in Mackay and up hereif it hits.

x
Cheers Wardy. The rain has come on again but no flooding after the first downpour. Been in garage room emptying water out the window. I'm just hoping and today was our open-house viewing. Sods law.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

No ww and thank god. They even had a pole with the wording, road prone to flooding and what do they build, low lying bungalows. I watched them being built and still wonder at the sheer stupidity. Our is more a problem with drains not taking the water away fast enough.
I'm sure it was the water feature that clinched the sales in that estate more so than Maccas being around the corner.

It's funny how you dont usually find that type of water feature on the top of a hill

WW
Old Mar 7th 2009, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BigH68
should we be panicing in Yeppoon yet Polly?
Panicing is the last thing you need to be doing.

Secure your property as best you can: Secure objects that you cannot bring inside firmly Those that you can do so. Tape windows with a removable masking tape to prevent flying glass if they get broken by airbourne debris. If you have a big double garage door back you car and anything else you have right upto it. If you car stays outside park it as close to the door as possible. These doors are the weakest part of modern houses and do untold damage if they come off.

When securing things outside remember the wind will make a 180 degree shift in direction at some point.

Ensure NOW that you have enough non perishible food and water for a few days. Remember toilet rolls and a method of cooking/heating food -BBQ. On the way back from the shops make sure you get cash and fuel. If the power fails you need to be able to pay for things and get there to buy them.

Oh don't forget pets and their food and for gods sake don't tie them up and leave them behind or set them free - you see this a lot

Check out EMQs/Local Council website for full details of what to include in your cyclone kit.

Gather your important docs togther and be prepared to leave quickly or identify a safe area in your house. Stock it with pillows/blankets and at least 1 matress for protection if the worst happens and your roof goes walkabout.

Plan all this out in your mind as well as the best evacuation route. One of the problems here in NQ is the authorities are very relunctant to evacuate early but this can mean that routes are already blocked when you have to actually make the move.

Make sure you have battery powered lighting (min 2 - for the family and one to take to the loo!) and a radio and you phone/laptop is charged.

Work out with your family where you will go in the event of a hit or your house breaking up or what you route will be if you have to leave quickly. Make sure everything you need is in one place.

Scarey stuff but I can tell you that Cat 4 systems don't play games and you HAVE to prepare your family for the worst - even if the risk is less than 100%

Your area currently has a very good chance of some distructive weather tomorrow.

Make you preparations now. Later may well be too late

Things I have assumbled include:

Enough food for 3 days per person
Enough water for 3 days + a water filter (pool water can be made drinkable)
Plenty of batteries
A radio
3 battery lanterns
12 loo rolls
Pain killers (any other medication you need)
Petrol
Cash
Paper towels
First aid kit
Long life milk
leather gloves/wet weather gear and study boots
All certs/insurances/passports/birth certs etc one box
All photos and data in one box
A video of the who house inside and out for possible insurance claim
Rope/tarps etc
Pet food
Charge everthing up ready

Most importantly check track maps and advice from TV/Radio/Internet and make sure you are well informed and on top of what might come next.

Just a few things and by no means a full list but PLEASE prepare for your and other's sake.

Don't take risks, let others do that and above all be calm, focussed and informed - and stay safe.

Rob (been there, done it and got the tee shirt)
Old Mar 7th 2009, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck

WW

Operational work = money = Development approval

Sad, stupid but true

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.