Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Coastal drive... Sydney to Melbourne.

Coastal drive... Sydney to Melbourne.

Old Dec 17th 2007, 11:47 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Coastal drive... Sydney to Melbourne.

We are going on a trip to Sydney, driving up the Freeway, but want to drive back via the coast-road.
Anyone done it...got any tips for places to stop enroute, and an average driving time?

Thanks
Old Dec 17th 2007, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Coastal drive... Sydney to Melbourne.

Originally Posted by Weirdstone
We are going on a trip to Sydney, driving up the Freeway, but want to drive back via the coast-road.
Anyone done it...got any tips for places to stop enroute, and an average driving time?

Thanks
we did it a few years back, but very very slowly. Took us about 5 days as we wanted to make lots of stops.

Particularily liked Lakes Entrance and Merimbula
Old Dec 17th 2007, 11:59 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereshoping
we did it a few years back, but very very slowly. Took us about 5 days as we wanted to make lots of stops.

Particularily liked Lakes Entrance and Merimbula
Oh! tell me more please...we have around 3 days to do it before back to work.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

julesmc will become famous soon enough

We drove from Melbourne to Sydney in February this year and had two stopovers. We stayed at Mallacoota at the Gipsy Point Boutique Resort (www.gipsy.com.au) the first night and at Jervis Bay the second night. The Jervis Bay accommodation was Woollamia Village Resort (www.wvr.com.au).

Both places were well worth a visit - the sand at Jervis Bay truly is the whitest ever (shame a huge wave knocked me off my feet and I lost my sunnies - it was a choice between grabbing my bikini bottoms or my sunnies as I rolled around on the beach where I had been dumped and I'm a modest girl so the bikini bottoms won...).

I wish we had stayed longer at Gipsy Point - we were right on the lakeside and could really have done with another night there.

If you want to know anything else please just ask

Jules
Old Dec 17th 2007, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

fredabloggs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I've cycled it - you could try that!

Lakes Entrance was nice, spent New Years Eve there - it was very, very, busy though. Also really liked Eden and Batemans Bay. It all depends what you're looking for - do you want peace and quiet or busy towns?

Let me know if you need any more help.

F X
Old Dec 17th 2007, 1:20 pm
Australian Citizen

Originally Posted by fredabloggs
Hi

I've cycled it - you could try that!

Lakes Entrance was nice, spent New Years Eve there - it was very, very, busy though. Also really liked Eden and Batemans Bay. It all depends what you're looking for - do you want peace and quiet or busy towns?

Let me know if you need any more help.

F X
My husband is working in Sydney for 2 weeks ...Australian Chess Champs (he's a coach) - he is going to drive up so he has a car.
I'm staying at home (Melbourne) until mid-second week, then flying up to meet him ...we just want to drive back via the coast rather than the Hume Highway.
Want a mixture of both really.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 8:33 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Mordialloc is nice this time of year.

hmmmm that's odd.........I'm getting deja vue here.............

Buzzy
Old Dec 17th 2007, 8:35 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Sounds like a nice drive hope you have fun.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:28 pm
Australian Citizen

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Mordialloc is nice this time of year.

hmmmm that's odd.........I'm getting deja vue here.............

Buzzy
I put the thread up again, because I wanted some relevant answers...

Least I do have some this time..
Old Dec 18th 2007, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

I loved the small town of Orbost ...and Lakes Entrance, Eden, Berry, most of the towns along the way
Old Dec 18th 2007, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

From Sydney, if you're taking the Princes Highway route to Wollongong make sure you pull in at Bulli, just north of Wollongong for a knockout view down the coast. Alternatively, the coastal road to Wollongong is just as scenic and takes you on the new Sea Cliff bridge.

Kiama is worth a stop to take a look at the Blowhole. Similarly Berry is really cute and good for a stop for coffee or lunch. Lots of nice cafes and interesting shops.

If you get the chance, call in at Pebbly Beach which is just north of Bateman's Bay and part of Murramarang National Park. There are always kangaroos hanging around the beach and parrots flying around. It's a great spot and could only be in Australia.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 11:00 am
Australian Citizen

Originally Posted by NickyC
From Sydney, if you're taking the Princes Highway route to Wollongong make sure you pull in at Bulli, just north of Wollongong for a knockout view down the coast. Alternatively, the coastal road to Wollongong is just as scenic and takes you on the new Sea Cliff bridge.

Kiama is worth a stop to take a look at the Blowhole. Similarly Berry is really cute and good for a stop for coffee or lunch. Lots of nice cafes and interesting shops.

If you get the chance, call in at Pebbly Beach which is just north of Bateman's Bay and part of Murramarang National Park. There are always kangaroos hanging around the beach and parrots flying around. It's a great spot and could only be in Australia.
Thank you, and to you Vin&Bin ....good things to remember
Old Dec 18th 2007, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

I'll put in anther word for the Jervis Bay area.... and partic Hyams beach. A great spot.
I also love Kiama.....

Not been down any further so cant help any more than that but am hoping to do part of the journey with friends who are going all the way to Melbourne in March......

Will watch this thread with interest.....