Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CNC Machining job interview dresscode

CNC Machining job interview dresscode

Old Apr 25th 2008, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of
Default CNC Machining job interview dresscode

I have a couple of job interviews next week when I arrive in Sydney and i'm not sure how they expect you to dress. The jobs I am going for are manual/trade job and in the UK I have always gone smart/casual, but not suited. And got the positions. I was wondering what the standard thing to do is over there. It affects whether I try and cram my suit/shirt and tie into my backpack.

I appreciate this may seem a silly question to some people on here but its bugging me a little as i'm unsure and rather nervous now.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:07 pm

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: CNC Machining job interview dresscode

Originally Posted by martin1978
I have a couple of job interviews next week when I arrive in Sydney and i'm not sure how they expect you to dress. The jobs I am going for are manual/trade job and in the UK I have always gone smart/casual, but not suited. And got the positions. I was wondering what the standard thing to do is over there. It affects whether I try and cram my suit/shirt and tie into my backpack.

I appreciate this may seem a silly question to some people on here but its bugging me a little as i'm unsure and rather nervous now.
Most engineering firms have a smart/casual (no jeans, shirt with a collar) dress code for the office staff and overalls, safety boots for the work shop personel so I think smart/casual will be fine, they will be more interested in your skills & experience than what you are wearing.

If you dress too smart they may think you don't want to get your hands dirty

Good luck with the interviews.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

cheers
Old Apr 25th 2008, 11:47 pm
Now an expat!

MonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really nice

I have a couple of job interviews next week when I arrive in Sydney and I'm not sure how they expect you to dress. The jobs I am going for are manual/trade job and in the UK I have always gone smart/casual, but not suited. And got the positions. I was wondering what the standard thing to do is over there. It affects whether I try and cram my suit/shirt and tie into my backpack.

I appreciate this may seem a silly question to some people on here but its bugging me a little as I'm unsure and rather nervous now.
I went for smart casual (short sleeve shirt, trousers and shoes)for my CNC job interview and got the job!
Good luck and don't be nervous, your going to see if you would like to work there, not if they would like you to work there!
Make a list of your good points/relevant points and memorize all the key points so you don't get stuck for words. In my case, the manager was really not very good at interviews and I had to do a lot of talking and my list I had created and memorized was a big help!! Also take all relevant certificates and then stress the importance of experience.
Good luck.
Steve.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Steve. Might go and get some new trousers today then as the only ones I have are about 2 sizes too big now anyway. lol. I'm more of a smart jeans person usually but they are definitly a no no for interviews.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MonkeyBoySteve
I went for smart casual (short sleeve shirt, trousers and shoes)for my CNC job interview and got the job!
SAme as my DH!

Good luck to the OP
Old Apr 27th 2008, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

Hey thanks for replying guys. I know it may seem a silly thread but i'm coming blind if you know what I mean. Still cant believe that the time has come round. I'm crapping it now. Just hope I like the place. If not theres always Melbourne Brisbane, Perth or good old little Townsville. lol.

Got some pants and the most flattering smart shirt I ever saw for £20. Thank goodness for boundary mill, i'll miss that place. Just the small matter of persuading someone to try me out now. Thing is they won't regret it. I am that good. lol (head swelling)

cheers, hope the Sydney CBD meet up lads are a good set.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 6:49 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

The first time my OH went for an interview he wore a short sleeved shirt and knee length jeans, he got the job... 2nd and 3rd times after that he just went after work in his smelly work gear and got the jobs.... I dont think they give a rats arse what you look like, as long as you can do the work...