Clothing...

Old Jul 17th 2009, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

the_gripmaster will become famous soon enoughthe_gripmaster will become famous soon enough
Arrow Clothing...

In places like Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne, what type of clothing is usually worn at:
  • wedding ceremonies and other formal parties
  • informal parties
  • workplaces who are white-collar (technical) workers
Old Jul 17th 2009, 5:35 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Clothing...

Originally Posted by the_gripmaster
In places like Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne, what type of clothing is usually worn at:
  • informal parties
Well... pretty much the same as you'd wear in the UK, really.

I've worn the same outfits to events in the UK that I did to corresponding events in Australia, and never been out of place.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

the_gripmaster will become famous soon enoughthe_gripmaster will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Clothing...

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Well... pretty much the same as you'd wear in the UK, really.

I've worn the same outfits to events in the UK that I did to corresponding events in Australia, and never been out of place.
How about in Brisbane? No place in the UK is as hot as Brisbane. I guess it is not so comfortable putting on a suit and walk around in Brisbane.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 7:52 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

• informal parties
In Brisbane, generally think pants (get used to it - trousers) and open shirts for men.

My father in law got remarried and insisted his best man and he wore a suit. It has become a bit of a joke for years now and every now and again we drag out the photo's of two blokes who look like they have had buckets of water thrown on them. 34 degrees and a suit do not mix.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

• informal parties
I'm in Brisbane.

* For weddings I'd wear trousers/collared shirt - no tie
* Informal parties - tshirt/jeans unless themed
* Workplace - trousers/collared shirt - no tie (unless its winter)
Old Jul 18th 2009, 3:16 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by phat-dave
I'm in Brisbane.

* For weddings I'd wear trousers/collared shirt - no tie
* Informal parties - tshirt/jeans unless themed
* Workplace - trousers/collared shirt - no tie (unless its winter)
I've been in Brisbane area now for 6 years, and that sounds about right to me. Although many parties that we go to, most men wear shorts in summer.

When I was working in Sydney, a Tie was required, for most people, in the office, summer and winter.

Old Jul 18th 2009, 4:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

How about in Brisbane? No place in the UK is as hot as Brisbane. I guess it is not so comfortable putting on a suit and walk around in Brisbane.
It is but you also have to bear in mind that most places, especially offices are air conditioned so quite chilly.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 4:16 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

• informal parties
Very traditional shorts, socks and sandals

Ties must be wide as your shirt collar and with as much flanel and colour as drugs you took in the 70's
Old Jul 18th 2009, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

I think Melbourne and Sydney are probably a little more formal than some of the other states.

Weddings, races, or other formal occasions - dressy for woman and for men suits and ties.

Informal 'do' - smart casual - only jeans if they are dark denim and not worn out. At friends houses pretty much anything goes!

Work - depends on where you work - OH in the media - suits and ties are the order of the day.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 8:21 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane is not hot all the time.

Plenty of people wear a suit and tie if the occasion warrants it.

For instance....Formal shirts, ties, proper trousers and shoes are mandatory for member's areas at race meetings (where I have been today ).

Many people, especially younger adults, will make a point of dressing up very formally for race meetings, weddings etc...........and then get completely rat arsed

G
Old Jul 18th 2009, 8:24 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It is but you also have to bear in mind that most places, especially offices are air conditioned so quite chilly.

I was reading a site that had details of a seminar down at Loganholme and that it said "We recommend neat casual clothes and that you bring a warm piece of clothing, as the air conditioning at the venue is very effective and quite cool."

Old Jul 18th 2009, 8:28 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I would think I have seen more 'young' men (20's and 30's) wearing suits and ties in Brisbane than I ever did in England....it seems to be the fashion.

G
Old Jul 21st 2009, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

LouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really nice

How about at an interview for a technical job (suit and tie here). Hubby needs to interview in Brisbane in October time. Would no tie be ok then?
Ta, Lou
Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Brisbane is not hot all the time.

Plenty of people wear a suit and tie if the occasion warrants it.

For instance....Formal shirts, ties, proper trousers and shoes are mandatory for member's areas at race meetings (where I have been today ).

Many people, especially younger adults, will make a point of dressing up very formally for race meetings, weddings etc...........and then get completely rat arsed

G
I would wear a tie for an occasion like that...

In the workplace, you can wear a tie if you want to. This last ten years in the workplace in London, Melbourne and Sydney the tie is fading...I haven't worn a tie in 11 years...often people wear them to particular meetings...even in traditional areas and companies there is a bit of a move away..the tie and jacket is kept on a hanger in a cupboard. In IT not only have people moved away from the tie and now mandated pants and shirt, people still come in chinos and casual shirts. I would refuse to work for a place that decreed it was mandatory and especially if the employer was not even a blue chip client-facing institution and therefore had reason for some sort of esprit d'corps.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouB
How about at an interview for a technical job (suit and tie here). Hubby needs to interview in Brisbane in October time. Would no tie be ok then?
Ta, Lou
For tech jobs in Melbourne, a tie is honestly not required, but personally I would wear smart trousers and an ironed smart shirt, or even, chinos and casual ironed shirt....wearing a suit makes it look like you don't have a job...most employers know you will come dressed as you would be at your current job!...

There will be people who will tell you that a suit is the business, but few people wear good quality suits anyhow, and for example, an overweight bloke in a shiny cool suit and crusty pointy shoes looks worse than a fit guy in trousers and a decent shirt. It's the way you wear them...

I have worn a suit for bluechips and jobs where I want to do all but spunk across the interview table.. I did this last time...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.