Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Clothes..UK or Aus?

Clothes..UK or Aus?

Old May 15th 2005, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future
Default Clothes..UK or Aus?

Are clothes generally much cheaper in Aus than GBR? Going on our validation trip to Gold coast next month (yippeeee!) and was wondering wether to buy our bits in UK or wait till we get out there. Particually interested in Quiksilver, Billabong ect.
Thanks.
Old May 15th 2005, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

LauraIreland will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Clothes..UK or Aus?

Definitely cheaper in OZ. Also a much better variety of billabong etc .
Enjoy the trip!!
Old May 15th 2005, 5:16 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clothes..UK or Aus?

Originally Posted by LauraIreland
Definitely cheaper in OZ. Also a much better variety of billabong etc .
Enjoy the trip!!
Depends on what your after. The wife finds "Australian"(now made in China) underwear cr*p compared to the stuff you can buy from Marks and Spencer so much that she sent asked her mother in the UK to get her a heap and send them over. Same deal with jeans. Can't find any here that she is comfortable with, so on the nect trip the bags are going over full of Christmas stuff and coming back full of clothes.

Also difficult to find slippers for me anywhere, again enter Marks and Spencer, resonably priced and very comfortable.

Last edited by The Bloke; May 15th 2005 at 5:20 am.
Old May 15th 2005, 8:20 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Depends on what your after. The wife finds "Australian"(now made in China) underwear cr*p compared to the stuff you can buy from Marks and Spencer so much that she sent asked her mother in the UK to get her a heap and send them over. Same deal with jeans. Can't find any here that she is comfortable with, so on the nect trip the bags are going over full of Christmas stuff and coming back full of clothes.

Also difficult to find slippers for me anywhere, again enter Marks and Spencer, resonably priced and very comfortable.
As an M&S shareholder, I'm very pleased to hear it....!

Cheers,
Anya.
Old May 15th 2005, 9:17 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Surf fashion is cheaper here and if you enjoy sweating in artificial fibres then kmart will fill you with joy. Other than that I find basic practical every day clothing here more expensive and of lower quality and fit. I know Australians who get shipments from Next for boxers, work shirts and trousers!

I nearly started running out of boxers and socks without holes until I went back to the UK in March. Luckily I didn't end going commando.
Old May 15th 2005, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Brizbound will become famous soon enoughBrizbound will become famous soon enough

I believe unless you are spending less than $10 (and you get what you should expect) then the UK stuff will generally be better quality and cheaper.
Old May 15th 2005, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future

Thanks for your replies.
Old May 15th 2005, 10:34 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Personally I would prefer to buy kids clothes in Tescos rather than Target (from a quality per price point of view).

You may want to think about picking something up at a stopover on the way over, but don't go for the really cheap stuff if you want it to last.

Regards
Alistair
Old May 15th 2005, 11:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

When I first got here I noticed that almost all shirts/blouses, no matter how cheap, have a little plastic bag with a spare button - how nice, I thought. Now I knwo why, the amount of stitching holding the buttons on is negligible, and I have lost loads of buttons without the first few days. I've spent more time in 2 years sewing on buttons, than in the preceeding 40 put together!!!
Old May 15th 2005, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

LauraIreland will become famous soon enough

All I have to say is Bonds. beats M&S knickers any day!!
Target is a crap american store.
Trendy clothing of same quality as UK is deffo much cheaper in OZ. A card carrying shopaholic ex DUBLIN, LONdon and Brisbane .
Laura
Old May 15th 2005, 8:52 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
When I first got here I noticed that almost all shirts/blouses, no matter how cheap, have a little plastic bag with a spare button - how nice, I thought. Now I knwo why, the amount of stitching holding the buttons on is negligible, and I have lost loads of buttons without the first few days. I've spent more time in 2 years sewing on buttons, than in the preceeding 40 put together!!!
I'm really cross with regards to buttons. I recently bought a pair of o'neill trousers that cost £55. I've never been that frivolous but had birthday money and the trousers were lovely so my head over ruled my common sense. The first day I wore them I lost a button and the 2 spare ones provided only fit the waist band and not the pockets,
Sarah
Old May 15th 2005, 8:55 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by LauraIreland
All I have to say is Bonds. beats M&S knickers any day!!
That is so funny you said that, I struggled like mad to get bra's to fit me in Oz - nupe not because I have big boobies or anything but Bonds were the only manufacturer that fit me nicely. The rest I either could not get my size or they cut me in half.

M

Old May 15th 2005, 9:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
That is so funny you said that, I struggled like mad to get bra's to fit me in Oz - nupe not because I have big boobies or anything but Bonds were the only manufacturer that fit me nicely. The rest I either could not get my size or they cut me in half.

M
I agree with the bra thing - unfortunately its not quite so easy to get my mum to post them over!!! Shopping spree coming up in October for sure
Old May 15th 2005, 9:35 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I agree with the bra thing - unfortunately its not quite so easy to get my mum to post them over!!! Shopping spree coming up in October for sure
That is true, by the time they are posted from the UK, you try them on in Oz, they don't fit, they go back to Blighty a month could have past.

I bet you can't wait for the shopping splurge!!!! Have fun!!!

M