Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Clothes shops in oz

Clothes shops in oz

Old May 16th 2006, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Toryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clothes shops in oz

Originally Posted by fraser
They're not labels, Armani, Prada, Kenzo, Nicole Farhi these are some examples

Yes they are mate, but more trendy, streetwise labels

your stuff is for Yuppies!

Old May 16th 2006, 11:11 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toryglen-Boy

Good point............

if you're 15
Old May 16th 2006, 11:12 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya,

I found that when I was out in oz that it was virtually impossible to find clothes which were for anyone over a size 16 ( and 16's were hard to find! )
Target do 16's and over but I thought the choice was quite limited.
I found a great place called Jackie E in Melbourne which did very funky stuff although quite expensive. Sussan is the sort of equivlelent to DP's in the Uk. although I thought the stuff was quite boring. There WAS a shop called Next in Melbourne ( in the shopping mall at the side of Sussan on Bourke St ) and they did clothes which looked like Next and I THINK had Next lables on but again I think they only came in small sizes.
I totally agree about the underwear issues in oz. I found it hard to find the really nice bra's like M&S ones if you were over a C cup ( but having just had breast surgery I'm now a C cup - so I'm not worried about THAT issue! ) Myres and David Jones have large lingerie departments which are fab if your under a C cup.
I think if I'm desperate for an M&S undies fix while I'm in Oz I'll order it on the net, have it delivered to family in the UK and get them to post it over.Job Done!!
I also think it's worth checking out UK Ebay while your in Oz if your looking for Monsoon stuff or Next or M&S or Oasis etc, etc, etc. It's still cheaper than buying it first hand even if you do have to fork out for postage.
Like someone has already said there are some amazing "one -off" shops in Melbourne by people who are making their own clothes with their own deisigns and fabrics ( try Smith St and Brunswick in Melbourne ) I think some even make them to fit if there's a style or design you like. Yes, they are a bit more expensive but no-one else will have it!!!

As you can probobly tell Ive thought about all this A LOT before when I lived in Melbourne and this time round I'm well prepared for all the clothes dilemmas AND I'm working on losing weight before I get there so's to reduce the problems associated with finding clothes to fit the more voluptuous lady!!!! ;o)

Hope this helps!!!! And sorry for mentioning NEXT

*pearly* x
Old May 16th 2006, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Toryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Good point............

if you're 15
inches? Has my girlfriend been telling stories about me again ?

Old May 16th 2006, 11:15 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

inches? Has my girlfriend been telling stories about me again ?

Well if you're that short you'd be better shopping at mothercare
Old May 16th 2006, 11:24 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

And your stuff is for ..... ?

...people with too much money and not enough sense?
Old May 16th 2006, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Willij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Ransi
Asda is normally George and Tesco is cherokee...or are you saying its called cherokee in Target?
I think Tesco bought a share of the company Cherokee - that supplies Target in the US and Australia.
Old May 16th 2006, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

angipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Hiya,

I found that when I was out in oz that it was virtually impossible to find clothes which were for anyone over a size 16 ( and 16's were hard to find! )
Target do 16's and over but I thought the choice was quite limited.
I found a great place called Jackie E in Melbourne which did very funky stuff although quite expensive. Sussan is the sort of equivlelent to DP's in the Uk. although I thought the stuff was quite boring. There WAS a shop called Next in Melbourne ( in the shopping mall at the side of Sussan on Bourke St ) and they did clothes which looked like Next and I THINK had Next lables on but again I think they only came in small sizes.
I totally agree about the underwear issues in oz. I found it hard to find the really nice bra's like M&S ones if you were over a C cup ( but having just had breast surgery I'm now a C cup - so I'm not worried about THAT issue! ) Myres and David Jones have large lingerie departments which are fab if your under a C cup.
I think if I'm desperate for an M&S undies fix while I'm in Oz I'll order it on the net, have it delivered to family in the UK and get them to post it over.Job Done!!
I also think it's worth checking out UK Ebay while your in Oz if your looking for Monsoon stuff or Next or M&S or Oasis etc, etc, etc. It's still cheaper than buying it first hand even if you do have to fork out for postage.
Like someone has already said there are some amazing "one -off" shops in Melbourne by people who are making their own clothes with their own deisigns and fabrics ( try Smith St and Brunswick in Melbourne ) I think some even make them to fit if there's a style or design you like. Yes, they are a bit more expensive but no-one else will have it!!!

As you can probobly tell Ive thought about all this A LOT before when I lived in Melbourne and this time round I'm well prepared for all the clothes dilemmas AND I'm working on losing weight before I get there so's to reduce the problems associated with finding clothes to fit the more voluptuous lady!!!! ;o)

Hope this helps!!!! And sorry for mentioning NEXT

*pearly* x
oh great I'd better get dieting now, so seriously in the UK we have New Look, Matalan, Mark 1 Evans who all cater for the size 16 - 28 market, I'm a size 20 so I'm really going to struggle to find clothes. Its looks like I'll be bring over my baggage allowance in new clothes.
Old May 16th 2006, 6:24 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angipipsqueak
oh great I'd better get dieting now, so seriously in the UK we have New Look, Matalan, Mark 1 Evans who all cater for the size 16 - 28 market, I'm a size 20 so I'm really going to struggle to find clothes. Its looks like I'll be bring over my baggage allowance in new clothes.
Angipipsqueak,

Don't panic just yet. There's a big chain of shops called "Katies" which has a fair range of stuff for up to size 20+. It's got a good range of officey stuff, summery stuff and inbetweeny stuff. I'm almost certain there must be others. I remember visiting a mate out in the suburbs and found a shop there that did "normal" sizes ( ie - anything other than 8's, 10's,12's and 14's!! ) and it wasn't a chain so there wasn't loads of them in the city. There's definately shops that cater for the 16+ market but just be prepared not to have the same ammount of choice or quality as in the UK. I'd take loads of clothes out there and then stock up next time your back for a visit.
And honestly - I'm partly losing weight to make it easier this time round when it comes to clothes shopping there! I can't be arsed seeing all the great clothes in shops which only fit waifs and not me!

*pearly*
Old May 16th 2006, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

angipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Clothes shops in oz

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Angipipsqueak,

Don't panic just yet. There's a big chain of shops called "Katies" which has a fair range of stuff for up to size 20+. It's got a good range of officey stuff, summery stuff and inbetweeny stuff. I'm almost certain there must be others. I remember visiting a mate out in the suburbs and found a shop there that did "normal" sizes ( ie - anything other than 8's, 10's,12's and 14's!! ) and it wasn't a chain so there wasn't loads of them in the city. There's definately shops that cater for the 16+ market but just be prepared not to have the same ammount of choice or quality as in the UK. I'd take loads of clothes out there and then stock up next time your back for a visit.
And honestly - I'm partly losing weight to make it easier this time round when it comes to clothes shopping there! I can't be arsed seeing all the great clothes in shops which only fit waifs and not me!

*pearly*
Thanks for the reply pearly, I'm still going to try and shift some weight. My husaband has just reminded me that when we was in Sydney in 2003 on a holiday, the weather was exceptionally cool, I ended up looking for a coat, I eventually found a very unflattering jumper, so I'm definatyely going to stock up on stylish clothes, good excuse to go shopping.
Ange x
Old May 16th 2006, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
ASDA brand cherokee is stocked by Target.
oops TESCO brand cherokee
Old May 16th 2006, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
oops TESCO brand cherokee

We gathered that doc they are all the same really any way LOL
Mandy
Old May 16th 2006, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iPom
And your stuff is for ..... ?

...people with too much money and not enough sense?

true i do have too much money, rather have that, than not enough

Old May 16th 2006, 9:38 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angipipsqueak
Thanks for the reply pearly, I'm still going to try and shift some weight. My husaband has just reminded me that when we was in Sydney in 2003 on a holiday, the weather was exceptionally cool, I ended up looking for a coat, I eventually found a very unflattering jumper, so I'm definatyely going to stock up on stylish clothes, good excuse to go shopping.
Ange x
There's a shop in Robina called 1624 or something like that - only caters for over 16. There must be similar in other places. Don't know if it's a chain or one off.
Old May 17th 2006, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by moneypen20
There's a shop in Robina called 1624 or something like that - only caters for over 16. There must be similar in other places. Don't know if it's a chain or one off.

It's 1628 and is a chain as we have it here in Perth too. Bigger sizes are to be found all over the place these days - Rockmans have a larger section called BeMe I think, it's a section in many of their stores, also Crossroads go up to about a 24 or 26 in some gorgeous clothes. A lot of stores seem to be bringing in Plus size sections. Target, K-Mart & Big W all have these sections for every day clothes.

On the subject of clothes does anyone know if there are any Charlie Brown or Ginger Tree outlets in Perth? Have found some gorgeous clothes by them on ebay, although I suspect new prices might be out of my league!??

Loopy