Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Clothes shops for the larger lady!

Clothes shops for the larger lady!

Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of
Default Clothes shops for the larger lady!

Does anybody know what UK size equivalent most Australian female clothes shops go up to?? I'm over a UK size 16 and am worried i wont be able to buy any decent clothes! I often shop at Evans over here so not sure if there is an equivalent chain in OZ ???
Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

v moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nice
Default Re: Clothes shops for the larger lady!

Hi Just to let you know the only store i've come across out here for ok clothes is a store called"16-26". To be honest though i loved evans clothes but the quality out here is crap.It seems if you are a size 16+ they dress you like a old maid. But this is my own opinon not everyone is as fussy as me. If I was you i would bring as many clothes as you can, I wish I had. Hopefully I'll get some nice pieces when we go to the uk next week.
Also the underwear out here isn't as nice quality here either.
take care.

Originally Posted by travelbug
Does anybody know what UK size equivalent most Australian female clothes shops go up to?? I'm over a UK size 16 and am worried i wont be able to buy any decent clothes! I often shop at Evans over here so not sure if there is an equivalent chain in OZ ???
Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by v moore
Hi Just to let you know the only store i've come across out here for ok clothes is a store called"16-26". To be honest though i loved evans clothes but the quality out here is crap.It seems if you are a size 16+ they dress you like a old maid. But this is my own opinon not everyone is as fussy as me. If I was you i would bring as many clothes as you can, I wish I had. Hopefully I'll get some nice pieces when we go to the uk next week.
Also the underwear out here isn't as nice quality here either.
take care.
Hi - thanks for your quick reply. I had a feeling that i'd get a response saying that the quality and choice is poor! Oh well, will have to take a new wardrobe of clothes with me i guess (good excuse to go out spending !!!).
I agree, people assume that if you're larger that you dont like fashion or looking good - how wrong can they be. I - probably like you am no old maid - well not yet anyway!
Whereabouts are you in OZ ? Seeing as you have Hell and it's hot - i'm curious as to how long you've been there and whether you like it!!!
Old Feb 9th 2007, 9:20 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I told my OH I need a trip to Canada for clothes and shoes. They don't have much in the way of selection if you are over size 12/14 and shoes don't come in wide width. I used to make my own clothes but there isn't even a good selection of fabric stores here.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 10:09 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

You may find you will drop a size at certain shops and there are good quality clothes out there if you are prepared to look. For decent 'everyday' clothes there is a good selection at Millers and Liz Davenport,Suzanne Grae and again wide fitting shoes are also out there but take a bit more finding.

Loz x
Old Feb 10th 2007, 12:09 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Also Maggie T, Sportscraft, Rodney Clark, Big City Chic and Wombat.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Big W aren't too bad for everyday clothes but if you need something for a special occasion you'll have to try elsewhere.

Mx
Old Feb 10th 2007, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

v moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nice
Smile Re: Clothes shops for the larger lady!

Hi Mr bravo and I are in Darwin. We have lived here since 16th dec 06, at the moment it ok, We lived in brisbane bayside before here and we loved it there a hell of a lot more to do there. Here in Darwin not much to do seen as its te wet season. Seems there is no expats here wheres in brisbane we meet a few and it was great and we now have some great friends there and look forward to seeing them again soon hopefully.

Originally Posted by travelbug
Hi - thanks for your quick reply. I had a feeling that i'd get a response saying that the quality and choice is poor! Oh well, will have to take a new wardrobe of clothes with me i guess (good excuse to go out spending !!!).
I agree, people assume that if you're larger that you dont like fashion or looking good - how wrong can they be. I - probably like you am no old maid - well not yet anyway!
Whereabouts are you in OZ ? Seeing as you have Hell and it's hot - i'm curious as to how long you've been there and whether you like it!!!
Old Feb 10th 2007, 4:43 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Even Kmart have a bigger section here, because let's face it, there are a lot of plus sized ladies out here in Aus. People say Kmart is crap, but if you dig through, you'll find some nice things.
I saw a nice range in Myer the other day. Good quality. Rodney Clark is good... and the Sportscraft stuff that ridd mentioned above.
It's like the uk... you'll pay for what you get. End of story.