Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

clothes needed for backpacking trip

clothes needed for backpacking trip

Old Feb 23rd 2005, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of
Default clothes needed for backpacking trip

Hi everyone,
Following on from the 'what clothes to take' issue which has cropped up in a few threads, I really need a bit of advice.
I'm planning three months travelling Around Oz, arriving in Perth at the end of June, then heading to Darwin area, on to Uluru (allowing around a month for all this), probably arriving in north Queensland around beginning of August then moving south to end in Syndey in September.
Now, I will be doing all this trip with one large rucksack ( :scared: ) and as the weatehr is likely to vary between each area, I haven't a clue what to take.
Could anyone who knows anything about the weather in the above mentioned areas at that time of year give me any suggestions?
You can see how panicked I am - I'm already planning and it's still four months away
Thanks,
Dianne
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 8:13 pm
Badge

Default Re: clothes needed for backpacking trip

You'll be arriving in the Perth in winter. So take a versatile, fleece, or 2. Maybe a jumper too.

Take a goretex rain jacket, beachwear, and a load of t-shirts.

When you move up North it will still be the dry season so dress for 25ish degree days accordingly. It will get more humid as the end of the dry approaches. As you move back down south to Sydney for the autumn, you cop coldish nights (if you are outside) but as you have a) a rain jacket and b) a fleece and a jumper you'll be right.

Take a pair of trouses, and one of those dress/shawls/sarong thingys.

This is based on my experiences. Except I didn't need a sarong.

1) Fleece - maybe one light, one medium.
2) Waterproof
3) jeans
4) 1 smart pair of trousers
5) Beach wear and T-shirts

is all I had!!

Badge

Old Feb 23rd 2005, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Badge
You'll be arriving in the Perth in winter. So take a versatile, fleece, or 2. Maybe a jumper too.

Take a goretex rain jacket, beachwear, and a load of t-shirts.

When you move up North it will still be the dry season so dress for 25ish degree days accordingly. It will get more humid as the end of the dry approaches. As you move back down south to Sydney for the autumn, you cop coldish nights (if you are outside) but as you have a) a rain jacket and b) a fleece and a jumper you'll be right.

Take a pair of trouses, and one of those dress/shawls/sarong thingys.

This is based on my experiences. Except I didn't need a sarong.

1) Fleece - maybe one light, one medium.
2) Waterproof
3) jeans
4) 1 smart pair of trousers
5) Beach wear and T-shirts

is all I had!!

Badge
Thanks Badge!
That's certainly given me more of an idea. Don't fancy having to carry a coat round with me all the time so I guess a light waterproof type thing would do the trick.
Then there's the shoe problem :scared:
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 8:21 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=DianneH68
Then there's the shoe problem :scared:[/QUOTE]

Don't forget your thongs!!!! Both types perhaps?!

Binbird
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 8:23 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by DianneH68
Thanks Badge!
That's certainly given me more of an idea. Don't fancy having to carry a coat round with me all the time so I guess a light waterproof type thing would do the trick.
On the coldest, wettest days, all your fleeces and a waterproof will be your coat - assuming you are outside..

Think layer system.

Badge

Old Feb 23rd 2005, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Badge
On the coldest, wettest days, all your fleeces and a waterproof will be your coat - assuming you are outside..

Think layer system.

Badge
very good thinking Badge.
Now my new-found knowledge on the clothes front (courtesy of you!) means I will have to embark on a shopping trip to buy a whole Aussie wardrobe.
Damn
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 8:33 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Thanks Badge!

A good type of shoes to take when backpacking are the sandal type things that have straps on them. You can get them in leather or material, and are ideal as you can walk with them during the day, as they're strapped even if it rains you won't slip. If you get leather/black ones you can also wear them out at night, and they're great for the beach/wearing in water also.

I went a couple of years ago, things I found useful were;
- Long denim skirt - couple of occasions I actually went somewhere and needed to dress up a bit
- a towel large enough to cover u up! - not every hostel I stayed in had the room to get changed in the shower, so a quick run back to the room was needed!! Not suggesting you take a big fluffy bath towek, I bought a really cheap small beach towel which didnt take much room up (also doubles up as a blanket)
- one of those 'mac in a pac' things
- time of year you're going, cropped trousers would be good
- after being bitten by bedbugs, I bought a sleeping bag liner. Rolls up really small, but gives you your own sheet each night!
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 8:33 pm
Badge

A rucksack bigger than say 65-75 litres means you have too much probably..but I am no expert on what is right for you...I worked out once I could have survived with a 40l pack but I had a lightweight 1 season sleeping bag which weighed 1 pound, the size of a bag of sugar when compressed, one silk liner for it, it is 30 quid but infinitely better than a cotton one. I did find that bag too cold down south on the coldest nights so had to use the liner.

In the hot Norther n nights I often used my silk liner rather than a doss bag.

So spend good money on a sleeping bag. This means it will be smaller.
And get a silk liner, not a cotton liner. It takes up a quarter of the size and dries in less than a half an hour. Sea to Summit does a real ripper.

Badge

Last edited by Badge; Feb 23rd 2005 at 8:35 pm.

Old Feb 23rd 2005, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks again for all the advice.
I have already invested in a 65litre back pack, which I have to say looks very small :scared:
Haven't thought too much about a sleeping bag as we're actually planning a few hotels/motels, as well as backpacker places, so I might see how long I can survive without one then buy one over there if needed.
But may well change my mind before I go!
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 8:45 pm
Badge

thanks again for all the advice.
I have already invested in a 65litre back pack, which I have to say looks very small :scared:
Haven't thought too much about a sleeping bag as we're actually planning a few hotels/motels, as well as backpacker places, so I might see how long I can survive without one then buy one over there if needed.
But may well change my mind before I go!
I never used the hostel bedding as it was a pain to make. Just used one of their sheets as a underlay and my doss bag. the rest folded up and was handed back on checkout. I recommend you do buy a doss bag, go to Millets in Richmond, or try Lang and Hunter on the Hill

Badge

Old Feb 23rd 2005, 9:22 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

In June the Red Centre gets very cold at night. In April it was down to 4 at night so I advise some decent layers for sleeping in. It was chilly getting out of the camper van at night.

The other matter with the red centre is I am not sure what backpacker accomodation there is at Uluru and Kings Canyon other than on the campsites.

Mlbonners experience with bed bugs is very common in backpackers hostels downunder.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 9:44 pm
Merlot

All of the above when I back-packed - used to wear the thongs/flip flops everywhere in the hostel including the shower - seen some scummy floors.

Pillow case always handy along with silk sheet for sleeping.

Apart from that do you need a travel buddy, Gawd I would kill to be back packing now, oh the mis-spent youth!

Good luck
M

Old Feb 23rd 2005, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Merlot
All of the above when I back-packed - used to wear the thongs/flip flops everywhere in the hostel including the shower - seen some scummy floors.

Pillow case always handy along with silk sheet for sleeping.

Apart from that do you need a travel buddy, Gawd I would kill to be back packing now, oh the mis-spent youth!

Good luck
M
hehehe. I'm not even in my youth anymore - 31 to be precise :scared: - but have finally convinced the boyfriend this is a good idea.
He's not really into the whole hostel thing, so we'll probably do some nice hotels too.
Think we're a bit too old for slumming it
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 9:49 pm
Merlot

hehehe. I'm not even in my youth anymore - 31 to be precise :scared: - but have finally convinced the boyfriend this is a good idea.
He's not really into the whole hostel thing, so we'll probably do some nice hotels too.
Think we're a bit too old for slumming it
I'm 35 this year, I would certainly never discount doing it again, even at 60 but yep I don't think I could do dorms but a lot of hostels have nice doubles and plenty of cheap motels/caravan parks back in Oz. Plus camping, sore back but loads of fun!

My other half is the same, Mr First Class he would love to be if he could afford it.

M

Old Feb 23rd 2005, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Merlot
I'm 35 this year, I would certainly never discount doing it again, even at 60 but yep I don't think I could do dorms but a lot of hostels have nice doubles and plenty of cheap motels/caravan parks back in Oz. Plus camping, sore back but loads of fun!

My other half is the same, Mr First Class he would love to be if he could afford it.

M
yeah I've been looking at some of the hostels and some have ensuite double rooms
Pretty cheap too.
Once we get to the east coast we might rent flats for a week in various places and do trips from there, rather than travelling around too much.
This will appease the boyfriend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.