Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Closing Nationwide account

Closing Nationwide account

Old Jun 17th 2010, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default Re: Closing Nationwide account

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
The one you want is called Bacs. That has no charge, £10,000 limit each time but you can repeat until you have transferred amount required.

You will need the card reader to confirm the transfer though.

Nationwide confirmed to our son that they would send a card reader to Oz if he needed a replacement when he moved out there, so if you have not got one that should not be a problem.
OK go it. I don't think I want to go through the process of applying for a card reader.
Has Nationwide got your Oz address?
Well I logged in to check the address and their system asked secret questions. I remember last time I did this and got the answer wrong it locked me out. I'm not about to fall for that one again.

I think I've decided to pay myself by personal cheque and keep the flex account open. Thanks for all your help everyone.

Last edited by discobay; Jun 17th 2010 at 11:07 am.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by discobay
OK go it. I don't think I want to go through the process of applying for a card reader.

Well I logged in to check the address and their system asked secret questions. I remember last time I did this and got the answer wrong it locked me out. I'm not about to fall for that one again.

I think I've decided to pay myself by personal cheque and keep the flex account open. Thanks for all your help everyone.
That could be the safest thing to do for now, when you have time you could write to them and ask them how you can reset your details if you feel it would be useful for you.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Reply received today - yet another reason for closing my account:

Dear discobay
Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately we are unable to transfer funds to another bank in the UK. However we will send out a cheque with the closing balance of the accounts you wish to close to you.

If you wish to continue to close your accounts than please respond to this message authorizing Nationwide to close them.

Regards,

Rufsana Begum
Customer Consultant
Online Team
Old Jun 18th 2010, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Reply received today - yet another reason for closing my account:

Dear discobay
Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately we are unable to transfer funds to another bank in the UK. However we will send out a cheque with the closing balance of the accounts you wish to close to you.

If you wish to continue to close your accounts than please respond to this message authorizing Nationwide to close them.

Regards,

Rufsana Begum
Customer Consultant
Online Team
THis doesn't seem unreasonable to me, you aren't willing to apply for a card reader to use their online functionality which they have implemented to protect their customers from theft & fraud.

It seems to me that this would be the only way to prevent themselves being a fraud target. By sending a cheque in the account holders name to the last verified address they are minimising the change of someone fraudulently withdrawing the money. You can guarantee if they allow people to send money to any account without proper verification a thief will use this and Nationwide will be front page in The Sun before they know it
Old Jun 18th 2010, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spottydog
THis doesn't seem unreasonable to me, you aren't willing to apply for a card reader to use their online functionality which they have implemented to protect their customers from theft & fraud.

It seems to me that this would be the only way to prevent themselves being a fraud target. By sending a cheque in the account holders name to the last verified address they are minimising the change of someone fraudulently withdrawing the money. You can guarantee if they allow people to send money to any account without proper verification a thief will use this and Nationwide will be front page in The Sun before they know it
I thought the Bacs transfer did just that - for free.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the Bacs transfer did just that - for free.
Yes. But to do the BACS transfer, you have to either log into your account online (with your passwords and the card reader) or rock up to a branch in person with some ID (so they know it's you).
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
Yes. But to do the BACS transfer, you have to either log into your account online (with your passwords and the card reader) or rock up to a branch in person with some ID (so they know it's you).
OK back to plan B then.