Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Close encounter of the reptilean kind

Close encounter of the reptilean kind

Old Mar 5th 2006, 1:48 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Close encounter of the reptilean kind

Well, I just went out to feed the dog and because the yard is pretty wet I was putting my Wellington boots on. There, under the boot was what looked like a small toy rubber snake. I was about to pick it up, thinking it was a toy belonging to one of the little DagBoys, when it moved :scared:

It turned out to be a white crowned snake (venemous but not dangerous). They are nocturnal and arboreal so we guess it has been dislodged from a tree in the windy weather and had found its way over to the house.

We were clearing some stuff from the shed earlier today and one of the boxes we went through started moving. We also moved - back to a safe distance - half expecting to see a snake. That turned out to just be a big rat (and we later discovered it was also 7 or 8 baby rats). The next box we did was inundated by cockroaches and I had joked to MrsD that the next thing would be snakes. Remind me not to make jokes about such things.

I took a pic of the snake - I will post it when I can be bothered - makes a nice change from all the spider pictures

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Mar 5th 2006, 1:50 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Close encounter of the reptilean kind

Originally Posted by DagBoy
Well, I just went out to feed the dog and because the yard is pretty wet I was putting my Wellington boots on. There, under the boot was what looked like a small toy rubber snake. I was about to pick it up, thinking it was a toy belonging to one of the little DagBoys, when it moved :scared:

It turned out to be a white crowned snake (venemous but not dangerous). They are nocturnal and arboreal so we guess it has been dislodged from a tree in the windy weather and had found its way over to the house.

We were clearing some stuff from the shed earlier today and one of the boxes we went through started moving. We also moved - back to a safe distance - half expecting to see a snake. That turned out to just be a big rat (and we later discovered it was also 7 or 8 baby rats). The next box we did was inundated by cockroaches and I had joked to MrsD that the next thing would be snakes. Remind me not to make jokes about such things.

I took a pic of the snake - I will post it when I can be bothered - makes a nice change from all the spider pictures

Cheers,

DagBoy

do you live in some kind of wildlife sanctuary! I'm too scared to look at the picture! :scared:
Old Mar 5th 2006, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
I'm too scared to look at the picture! :scared:

LOL, I bet you do though
Old Mar 5th 2006, 2:18 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
LOL, I bet you do though
Nah....I won't!
Old Mar 5th 2006, 3:53 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,

DagBoy

if you will live on acreage........

I took kids to airport today and when we were going through the x-ray machine to go into departures - the radiographer (is that what they're called?) woman actually refused to let us in because daughter had a plastic bright yellow + red toy snake!. She actually said ' well it could be used to frighten someone or pose a threaton a plane' like yeah its 20cm long and bright yellow , red, and obviosly a toy ... but no.. had to go and dump it.

For once this is true I am not making it up. Next time I want to take a toy snake into departures Im going to have to put it in my shoe. Or perhaps some concealed compartment in my briefcase. I am wondering if Toy dinosaurs are restricted too, I shall make it my mission to find out just what is restricted by attempting to smuggle these things into my next few flights. I have a nice tyrarnosaurus-rex that is particularly sharp around the claws, that'll be first up.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
She actually said ' well it could be used to frighten someone or pose a threaton a plane' like yeah its 20cm long and bright yellow , red, and obviosly a toy ... but no.. had to go and dump it.
would work well with Pom migrants!

My neighbour shot and killed a Copperhead with his shotgun on Sunday.
I never get any decent snakes!
Old Mar 6th 2006, 12:19 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
would work well with Pom migrants!

My neighbour shot and killed a Copperhead with his shotgun on Sunday.
I never get any decent snakes!
I fly to sydney at 0810 tomorrow - t-rex is in my briefcase.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:52 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,

DagBoy
Nice one D!

Getting stuff like this in my garden is something I look forward to when I get to Aus; thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We have a snake in the UK she is a very pretty cornsnake just over a metre long we also have budgies (allergic to fur you see!!) we can't bring either with us though

Looking forward to new pets in OZ

rammygirl