Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Clippies trip to Perth/WA (sorry it's a very long post)

Clippies trip to Perth/WA (sorry it's a very long post)

Old Jun 20th 2006, 7:17 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Clippies trip to Perth/WA (sorry it's a very long post)

Been asked by a few for some details of our reccie so here goes:

Flight with Emirates from Birmingham to Perth, via Dubai. Checked in online on the morning so we could choose our seats and check the special meals were ordered. No delays and the flight was a fairly smooth 6 hours or so, we’d taken off about 2pm so 4 year old monkey boy was wide awake but didn’t hear a peep from him as the entertainment system was fab on this flight, hundreds of films, tv, radio, albums, games – you could even play games with other people on board like battleships! Monkey got a kids meal and he was over the moon with his free watch and toothbrush, they pack those lunch boxes to the hilt though, no way could he’ve eaten it all. Flight was half empty, had a row of 4 seats to myself which was great.

Arrived at Dubai and it was dark and 34 degrees :scared: - we only had a couple of hours before the big flight to Perth. This plane was a tatty old thing and the entertainment nowhere near as good, also a full flight so no room to stretch out – made it a bit difficult when monkey went to sleep but he’s no bother really and got comfy in the end. Had a bit of turbulence on this flight that was a bit scary but ok.

Arrived in Perth at about 6pm, picked up cars from airport – Europcar, they were fab – the girl at the counter there was super friendly and really helpful. She offered me directions but I declined as I had been emailed some from the rental. BIG MISTAKE LOL! It was pitch black and our directions were very very sparse – it took us 3 and a half hours to get to Ocean Reef ahem, yes ridiculous I know – we were so hopelessly lost and kept going backwards and forwards.

Arrived at rental and the blokes went out to get some beer but came back empty handed as they couldn’t find anywhere open and when they asked the chap in the pizza shop ‘where’s the off licence’ he didn’t understand them lol.

Next day was a Sunday so yet again a struggle to get some beers – big shock for us is that the supermarkets don’t sell alcohol – and on a Sunday you can only buy it from a drive thru bottle shop attached to a tavern, very bizarre.

Anyway, we know it’s going to be a year or so before we get out there so there didn’t seem a lot of point setting our heart on somewhere as the prices are rising rapidly and we may not be able to afford to live where we want, so we decided to just see as much as we possibly could so we had an idea of the areas for when we move over. I have to say the suburbs I saw all looked much the same, nice and clean, lovely play area for the kids, most seem to have a dentist and a few shops and fast food places (there’s a lot of fast food places). I didn’t see anywhere I didn’t like, it was a real whistle-stop tour though. There’s s**t loads of building going on too, but didn’t actually see many tradies, oh apart from in their ute’s by the beach

Perth City is beautiful, it’s amazing with its huge river in the middle and seeing huge skyscrapers overlooking parks and grass and the river. Kings Park was beautiful, we spent all of bank holiday Monday there and I didn’t even see so much as a cigarette butt on the ground, the cleanliness really amazed me. The kids are running about bare footed as there’s nothing on the ground for them to hurt themselves on. We were amazed the bbq’s were gas and that they were free! I was looking for the slot to put the money in! Kings Park is a must see for anyone who goes there, we didn’t get to see all of it despite being there all day, it’s huge – and amazing that you can be there in the park and see the City so close too. Another thing we noticed is there doesn’t seem to be any traffic – even when we went through Perth in rush hour during the week the traffic was busy but moving, not gridlock like it is going into or coming out of Brum.

Perth Zoo is well worth a visit, we missed the Koala’s though as we hadn’t realised they were there – we were too busy staring at the Roos that were just chilling on the grass, so funny.

The beaches we saw were lovely, some had surfers etc., others had no-one at all and at one beach in Ocean Reef we were the only people for as far as the eye could see – amazing. Oh and the toilets! There are toilets at all the beaches and play areas and every one I went to was clean and had toilet roll – that might not sound like much but when you have 4 year old that seems to need a toilet at the most inconvenient times it’s just ace.

Food – the food we found to be quite expensive at supermarkets, more expensive than here I would think but I didn’t study it that much – I do remember thinking melon was really cheap though. Eating out is cheap and a lot of places were bring your own alcohol. Alcohol seemed very expensive, a 700ml bottle of Bacardi was $33 and here I pay £12 for a litre so that’s a big difference (especially as I can’t half drink Bacardi).

We did freak out a little in the first week – we were looking for a shop that was open at 6pm to get some food and these huge stores like Woolworths were just shut down – it was almost like a ghost town. But then we found a little supermarket near us that was open til 9pm – I then read in the paper there’s some law that any supermarket employing more than 10 people cannot open late. This is to stop the big stores branching out into butchers etc., and pushing out the small traders. I like this idea; I think it’s a good thing. I love the way they promote locally made produce, it’s nice to see that pride.

We went to Hillary’s and thought it was lovely but way out of our budget, we felt a lot better when we saw that there were things going on there at night. We realise that there must be stuff going on everywhere but until you live there I guess you don’t get to find these things out.

We were lucky with the weather, the rain stayed off and it stayed around 20 degrees – it really does get very very cold at night though and the houses we had didn’t have any heating and believe me they needed it – at one point you could see your own breath.

We went to Freemantle and on first impressions we didn’t like it, we drove around and left. Decided we hadn’t given it a chance and went back on the Friday when the markets were open – we soon warmed to the place and it does have charm and character imo.

Mandurah was lovely, could’ve quite happily lived there, out of our league though.

We drove up into the hills, Kalamunda and all around there – there are some huge huge places up there. Really just too much to see in a week.

Well that’s week one anyway, week two we went south and it was fab, my favourite part of the hol. I’ll fill you in on that later seeing as this is such a long post you may have lost the will to live
Old Jun 20th 2006, 7:18 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clippies trip to Perth/WA (sorry it's a very long post)

Jesus, didn't realise how long it was -
Old Jun 20th 2006, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies
Jesus, didn't realise how long it was -

Fantastic post glad you enjoyed it.
Mandy
Old Jun 20th 2006, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Fantastic post glad you enjoyed it.
Mandy
Lol, well I'm amazed you made it to the end of it Dale's always saying I take to get to the point, think I'm starting to understand why
Old Jun 20th 2006, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Lol, well I'm amazed you made it to the end of it Dale's always saying I take to get to the point, think I'm starting to understand why

Although we wont be going to Perth you still make it sound appealing.
I think we get spoilt with 24 hour shopping.
to be honest i have now started shopping at a local fruit and veg shop and butcher, to get me used to not using big supermarkets all the time.
Mandy
Old Jun 20th 2006, 7:33 pm

Although we wont be going to Perth you still make it sound appealing.
I think we get spoilt with 24 hour shopping.
to be honest i have now started shopping at a local fruit and veg shop and butcher, to get me used to not using big supermarkets all the time.
Mandy
Yes I know what you mean, I've got a 24hour Asda just a 10 minute walk from me (2 mins in car) and it sells everything! So I do tend to just go there, still don't think the food is very good quality but it's cheap and convenient. I did start going to a farm for fruit and veg but it was only lasting a few days. I do my shopping during the day anyway so it won't affect me in Oz
Old Jun 20th 2006, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes I know what you mean, I've got a 24hour Asda just a 10 minute walk from me (2 mins in car) and it sells everything! So I do tend to just go there, still don't think the food is very good quality but it's cheap and convenient. I did start going to a farm for fruit and veg but it was only lasting a few days. I do my shopping during the day anyway so it won't affect me in Oz

Get back over to the bar , ive got you one in. it doesn't close early
Mandy
Old Jun 20th 2006, 7:37 pm

Get back over to the bar , ive got you one in. it doesn't close early
Mandy
Lol, that's good then. 32 people have read this post and only me and you have posted on it. Do you think they've collapsed from the boredom?
Old Jun 20th 2006, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Lol, that's good then. 32 people have read this post and only me and you have posted on it. Do you think they've collapsed from the boredom?

No way man
Old Jun 20th 2006, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Not boring at all !!! It's a great post, really interesting about the plane and where you toured around.
Glad you had a fab time

N
Old Jun 20th 2006, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by curly
Not boring at all !!! It's a great post, really interesting about the plane and where you toured around.
Glad you had a fab time

N
Thanks Curly Whereabouts in the mids are you from?
Old Jun 20th 2006, 7:58 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Been asked by a few for some details of our reccie so here goes:

Flight with Emirates from Birmingham to Perth, via Dubai. Checked in online on the morning so we could choose our seats and check the special meals were ordered. No delays and the flight was a fairly smooth 6 hours or so, we’d taken off about 2pm so 4 year old monkey boy was wide awake but didn’t hear a peep from him as the entertainment system was fab on this flight, hundreds of films, tv, radio, albums, games – you could even play games with other people on board like battleships! Monkey got a kids meal and he was over the moon with his free watch and toothbrush, they pack those lunch boxes to the hilt though, no way could he’ve eaten it all. Flight was half empty, had a row of 4 seats to myself which was great.

Arrived at Dubai and it was dark and 34 degrees :scared: - we only had a couple of hours before the big flight to Perth. This plane was a tatty old thing and the entertainment nowhere near as good, also a full flight so no room to stretch out – made it a bit difficult when monkey went to sleep but he’s no bother really and got comfy in the end. Had a bit of turbulence on this flight that was a bit scary but ok.

Arrived in Perth at about 6pm, picked up cars from airport – Europcar, they were fab – the girl at the counter there was super friendly and really helpful. She offered me directions but I declined as I had been emailed some from the rental. BIG MISTAKE LOL! It was pitch black and our directions were very very sparse – it took us 3 and a half hours to get to Ocean Reef ahem, yes ridiculous I know – we were so hopelessly lost and kept going backwards and forwards.

Arrived at rental and the blokes went out to get some beer but came back empty handed as they couldn’t find anywhere open and when they asked the chap in the pizza shop ‘where’s the off licence’ he didn’t understand them lol.

Next day was a Sunday so yet again a struggle to get some beers – big shock for us is that the supermarkets don’t sell alcohol – and on a Sunday you can only buy it from a drive thru bottle shop attached to a tavern, very bizarre.

Anyway, we know it’s going to be a year or so before we get out there so there didn’t seem a lot of point setting our heart on somewhere as the prices are rising rapidly and we may not be able to afford to live where we want, so we decided to just see as much as we possibly could so we had an idea of the areas for when we move over. I have to say the suburbs I saw all looked much the same, nice and clean, lovely play area for the kids, most seem to have a dentist and a few shops and fast food places (there’s a lot of fast food places). I didn’t see anywhere I didn’t like, it was a real whistle-stop tour though. There’s s**t loads of building going on too, but didn’t actually see many tradies, oh apart from in their ute’s by the beach

Perth City is beautiful, it’s amazing with its huge river in the middle and seeing huge skyscrapers overlooking parks and grass and the river. Kings Park was beautiful, we spent all of bank holiday Monday there and I didn’t even see so much as a cigarette butt on the ground, the cleanliness really amazed me. The kids are running about bare footed as there’s nothing on the ground for them to hurt themselves on. We were amazed the bbq’s were gas and that they were free! I was looking for the slot to put the money in! Kings Park is a must see for anyone who goes there, we didn’t get to see all of it despite being there all day, it’s huge – and amazing that you can be there in the park and see the City so close too. Another thing we noticed is there doesn’t seem to be any traffic – even when we went through Perth in rush hour during the week the traffic was busy but moving, not gridlock like it is going into or coming out of Brum.

Perth Zoo is well worth a visit, we missed the Koala’s though as we hadn’t realised they were there – we were too busy staring at the Roos that were just chilling on the grass, so funny.

The beaches we saw were lovely, some had surfers etc., others had no-one at all and at one beach in Ocean Reef we were the only people for as far as the eye could see – amazing. Oh and the toilets! There are toilets at all the beaches and play areas and every one I went to was clean and had toilet roll – that might not sound like much but when you have 4 year old that seems to need a toilet at the most inconvenient times it’s just ace.

Food – the food we found to be quite expensive at supermarkets, more expensive than here I would think but I didn’t study it that much – I do remember thinking melon was really cheap though. Eating out is cheap and a lot of places were bring your own alcohol. Alcohol seemed very expensive, a 700ml bottle of Bacardi was $33 and here I pay £12 for a litre so that’s a big difference (especially as I can’t half drink Bacardi).

We did freak out a little in the first week – we were looking for a shop that was open at 6pm to get some food and these huge stores like Woolworths were just shut down – it was almost like a ghost town. But then we found a little supermarket near us that was open til 9pm – I then read in the paper there’s some law that any supermarket employing more than 10 people cannot open late. This is to stop the big stores branching out into butchers etc., and pushing out the small traders. I like this idea; I think it’s a good thing. I love the way they promote locally made produce, it’s nice to see that pride.

We went to Hillary’s and thought it was lovely but way out of our budget, we felt a lot better when we saw that there were things going on there at night. We realise that there must be stuff going on everywhere but until you live there I guess you don’t get to find these things out.

We were lucky with the weather, the rain stayed off and it stayed around 20 degrees – it really does get very very cold at night though and the houses we had didn’t have any heating and believe me they needed it – at one point you could see your own breath.

We went to Freemantle and on first impressions we didn’t like it, we drove around and left. Decided we hadn’t given it a chance and went back on the Friday when the markets were open – we soon warmed to the place and it does have charm and character imo.

Mandurah was lovely, could’ve quite happily lived there, out of our league though.

We drove up into the hills, Kalamunda and all around there – there are some huge huge places up there. Really just too much to see in a week.

Well that’s week one anyway, week two we went south and it was fab, my favourite part of the hol. I’ll fill you in on that later seeing as this is such a long post you may have lost the will to live

Fantastic post...i have just thought of our reccie/ visa validation trip in February. I can imagine we will do very similar things. We plan to cram in as much as possible, we have 5 days in Sydney too which i am really looking forward too. We have decided we like the look of Doubleview/ Wembley Downs/ Scarborough......but we will decide once we have had a good look around.

Will look our for the next post for week 2
Old Jun 20th 2006, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

macker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Clippies,

Great post! Looking forward to part 2!!!!
Old Jun 20th 2006, 8:05 pm

Thanks Issie and Macker

I'll put a link on when I do week 2
Old Jun 20th 2006, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for a great post, we are not going to perth but like someone else said you made it sound very appealing. We are from the West Midlands and are not sure who to fly with. Heard Singapore airlines are excellent but only fly from Heathrow. How do you rate Emirates. We have 3 chidren so are concerned about the flight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.