Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Climate change warning for Sydney

Climate change warning for Sydney

Old Feb 1st 2007, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice
Default Re: Climate change warning for Sydney

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
"A report on the effects of climate change in Australia paints an alarming picture of life in the city of Sydney.

It warns that if residents do not cut water consumption by more than 50% over the next 20 years, the city will become unsustainable."

"Sydney would come to resemble the harsh, dry and inhospitable conditions of remote inland towns."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/6315885.stm

Howard take note. Dick head.
Yes as someone who lives in Sydney I do find that worrying. I am not impressed with the NSW state government which seems to me to be wanting to win votes rather than coming up with fresh ideas for the future. For example they rejected recycled water, already in use in the UK because they didn't think the voters would accept it and are going for desalination plants which are expensive and limited in application. However in QLD they are going to implement recycled water.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 3:31 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Global warming worries me a lot - drought in Australia, floods /ice in Britain etc.
Everywhere will be affected to some degree.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 7:49 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nerine
Sydney's major asset is that it is coastal and it has the readies to build de-salination plants.
...which will cause even more global warming.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:17 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you mean increased CO2 from the increased electricity generation? I have a sneaking feeling that this is why nuclear power is being talked about more and more. If wind/wave/sun could be used it would be a far better option.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

brissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nice

Well, we're of to Brisbane, and if i gets too hot n dry, we can always move to Melbourne,

I heard it rains there quite a bit,

Also buy a house on a hill, just incase the oceans rise.

Move away from the trees, just incase theres a fire.

And build a three level celler under the house just incase the sun explodes.

Or just stay in Brissie buy stacks aof beer n get a real good tan LOL
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

brissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nice

On a more serious note.

wouldn't a couple of desalination plants on the cost provide enough water from the sea for Sydney ????
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:39 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nerine
Do you mean increased CO2 from the increased electricity generation? I have a sneaking feeling that this is why nuclear power is being talked about more and more. If wind/wave/sun could be used it would be a far better option.
Yes - the power required for large scale water desalination is considerable. Desalination also produces highly concentrated waste, which harms the ecosystem when returned to sea, as the hypersalinated brine sinks and hangs around. Renewable energy sources are a option. Geothermal may be an option. But whether they could produce sufficient power is another issue.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

DerekM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
In many cases nothing happened *because* there was a panic several years previously, and many millions of man-years were spent pre-empting the problem. I myself spent months debugging a couple of pretty simple programs that I had written which would have gone down the GIGO route had I not spent the time.

Translate *that* into action now, before the big heat!
Nothing happened because we spent millions debugging all software and pc systems beforehand. Of cause people in IT know this, they made a fortune out of it but at the end of the day no major calamities occurred.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

mattb has a brilliant futuremattb has a brilliant futuremattb has a brilliant futuremattb has a brilliant futuremattb has a brilliant futuremattb has a brilliant futuremattb has a brilliant future

it's no big deal packing an extra case with bottled water when you fly over
Old Feb 10th 2007, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Caesar is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mattb
it's no big deal packing an extra case with bottled water when you fly over
They say only the green power will be used for the desalination plant.

http://www.sydneywater.com.au/Ensuri.../Desalination/