British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Clearing a parcel through customs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/clearing-parcel-through-customs-278500/)

Larissa Jan 19th 2005 2:16 am

Clearing a parcel through customs

Hi guys
When we left the UK a friend helped us out by bringing some of our luggage to the airport for us. Unfortunately he left a suitcase in his cupboard and we've only just been had it sent by DHL. I've just received a letter from DHL saying that I will need to cough up another $165.00 to clear it through customs, clear it myself or pay another customs broker.
Has anyone had experience of clearing stuff themselves? Given that it's just a suitcase of clothes etc. I wouldn't have thought there was much to it, but you never know... :confused:
Ta in advance
Larissa

Pollyana Jan 19th 2005 2:26 am

Re: Clearing a parcel through customs

Originally Posted by Larissa
Hi guys
When we left the UK a friend helped us out by bringing some of our luggage to the airport for us. Unfortunately he left a suitcase in his cupboard and we've only just been had it sent by DHL. I've just received a letter from DHL saying that I will need to cough up another $165.00 to clear it through customs, clear it myself or pay another customs broker.
Has anyone had experience of clearing stuff themselves? Given that it's just a suitcase of clothes etc. I wouldn't have thought there was much to it, but you never know... :confused:
Ta in advance
Larissa

I cleared a box of clothes/Cds etc through customs in Brisbane - just had to fill in a couple of forms, pay the fee, let AQIS examine it, that was all.
Certainly do-able, don't pay a broker!

Larissa Jan 19th 2005 2:33 am

Thanks Poll, will ring them once hubby get's home - got to get the car fixed before I make a trip down there!

Pollyana Jan 19th 2005 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Larissa
Thanks Poll, will ring them once hubby get's home - got to get the car fixed before I make a trip down there!

Just make sure you take your passport, and any paperwork you have to do with the suitcase. Not a fast process in Brisbane, but it is straightforward. :)

andrew63 Jan 19th 2005 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I cleared a box of clothes/Cds etc through customs in Brisbane - just had to fill in a couple of forms, pay the fee, let AQIS examine it, that was all.
Certainly do-able, don't pay a broker!

I agree! (Always nice to have 2 opinions the same!)
Had to do the same. AQIS didn't even bother inspecting.
Nice way to waste a couple of hours as they sure don't move quick. Note, you have to declare any items <6 months old and you are meant to pay duty on the same (I think - just say >6 months old)

Andrew

Larissa Jan 25th 2005 12:43 am

Just a quick update incase anyone searches for "Customs Clearance" and "Perth"...
I collected my suitcase (wow weee!!) yesterday. Hubby rang customs and discovered they wouldn't release it as we hadn't been given the "Airway Bill" :(
We got it emailed from DHL and I took down the customs paperwork and passport. This was fine with custom's house (located in Perth international airport) and after a brief explanation and some form filling, they stamped the bill for me; nothing to pay so I was chuffed.
Then another long drive to DHL in Beldon to collect the suitcase, nothing else to pay... altogether it cost £80 to send 25kg so I can't complain. Be prepared to pay customs charges though, they might not let you off.
ATB
Larissa