Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Clearing Loft! What 2 do with photos?

Clearing Loft! What 2 do with photos?

Old Jul 17th 2005, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Clearing Loft! What 2 do with photos?

Well I'm still in declutter mode and we started on the loft today! Chucked out a load of crap. Had a guy round to buy some of hubbys CDs (not his best of course) taking books to a carboot.....But nows the dilemma What do you do with all those photos you collect over the years? Came across some very dodgy hairstyles (husbands - not mine!!!!). :scared:

I'd be interested to know what other people are doing . Do you take everything with you thats sentimental - or do you chuck away and have a total fresh start? :scared:

Ex pats already there? - do you wish you hadn't taken a lot of paper stuff or what? Love to know.

Linsey (L J) :scared:
Old Jul 17th 2005, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice
Default Re: Clearing Loft! What 2 do with photos?

Originally Posted by ELLJAY
Well I'm still in declutter mode and we started on the loft today! Chucked out a load of crap. Had a guy round to buy some of hubbys CDs (not his best of course) taking books to a carboot.....But nows the dilemma What do you do with all those photos you collect over the years? Came across some very dodgy hairstyles (husbands - not mine!!!!). :scared:

I'd be interested to know what other people are doing . Do you take everything with you thats sentimental - or do you chuck away and have a total fresh start? :scared:

Ex pats already there? - do you wish you hadn't taken a lot of paper stuff or what? Love to know.

Faced with the same problem
We are scanning the important ones, then copying to DVD before moving.
Then giving the originals to various branches of the family.
But it is time consuming
Old Jul 17th 2005, 7:07 pm
Merlot

The only thing I have have never chucked away is photo's, culled them quite often and a few sentimental objects but on the whole I have learned to get rid . . and what a liberating feeling!

M

Old Jul 17th 2005, 7:11 pm

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point

im afraid i could never chuck photos away, we scan and have cds full of photos but in my opinion it is never the same as looking through a photo album. I have and will chuck plenty of other stuff away!!! im sure old photos wont take up too much space

amanda
Old Jul 17th 2005, 7:20 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by amanda76
im afraid i could never chuck photos away, we scan and have cds full of photos but in my opinion it is never the same as looking through a photo album. I have and will chuck plenty of other stuff away!!! im sure old photos wont take up too much space

amanda
I shipped a grand total of 13 boxes back to England, most of them clothes and a few bits and bobs. The one with the photo's in was the one I worried about the most, loosing them in transit - irreplacable. Softie hey!

M

Old Jul 17th 2005, 7:29 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Linsey,
I had a great time going through them and then I grouped them into the ones to keep and the ones to ditch. It is very scary shredding your old life, but I did it anyway and my few remaining sentimental photos are now at the dock waiting to go into a container. Good luck and be ruthless.
Sarah
Old Jul 17th 2005, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

leezo is on a distinguished road

Shove them all in a photo album - some take 100 pics at a time - they are not huge just flip albums, but save from losing those precious memories - dont take up a huge amount of room in the container, but will give you huge laughs in 20 years or so!

Old Jul 17th 2005, 8:35 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Came across some very dodgy hairstyles (husbands - not mine!!!!). :scared:

Show them on this forum
Old Jul 17th 2005, 8:46 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light

We took all ov our pix with us....... just left the negs with mum incase they sunk....

boom
x
Old Jul 17th 2005, 8:46 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by sme
Show them on this forum
Now that would be a great thread, the before and now shots

Old Jul 17th 2005, 9:04 pm
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey wot a result! Started this thread.....went for me tea........came back and hey lots of replies and advice. Thanks guys. I will be keeping the photos. You can't just erase 39 years of life!

Cheers Linsey ( L J )
Old Jul 17th 2005, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

The only box that Crown 'misplaced' had half my kitchen scales in (??) and loose photos. I went through a stage for years where I got Double or Triple print done, and it was the copies that went missing. We carried all the negatives across in hannd luggage, but all the albumns arrived fine.

I'm a sentimental person, but also can be strict with the 'culling' as someone else put it. Mr L however is not and needs some encouragement!! I would keep all the photos, they're snapshots of yours/other people's lives, and nice to peruse occasionally.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 12:55 am
ABCDiamond

Bring them !!

I'm getting a bit older than many on this forum (though not all ), and I do find myself, quite often, wishing I had had kept such and such a photo.

I got rid of many when I as younger, as I didn't need them. OK, I still don't NEED them, but reminiscing does happen as you get older.

Old Jul 18th 2005, 2:09 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

We brought all ours. Precious negs came with us on the plane. I had planned a huge sort out, ran out of time, and decided it would be a nice job for after we arrived. Have I started it...... have I heck. Really glad I bought them tho'.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Isn't the famous saying that photos are the first and only thing people would grab (after the kids that is) if the house was on fire.

Keep them all. As previously mentioned, you'll have a laugh in years to come. If you're paying XXX amount for a large container, then i'm sure a couple of boxesof photos will squeeze in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.