Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Clear out....what goes?!

Clear out....what goes?!

Old Jan 22nd 2004, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough
Default Clear out....what goes?!

Now on full on sort out at home, loft etc, any advice on best things to take or leave behind.....taking the usual personal stuff, not too much in way of furniture as settees, beds and white goods need replacing anyway.

been told to bring towels/linen etc for starters as not quite same (also wanted to have some new smaller bits as we have all the big bits to get when we settle) so raided M & S sale and now have my new towels etc at the ready

All advice welcomed, thanks

T x
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

shedu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Clear out....what goes?!

Originally posted by Swifts
Now on full on sort out at home, loft etc, any advice on best things to take or leave behind.....taking the usual personal stuff, not too much in way of furniture as settees, beds and white goods need replacing anyway.

been told to bring towels/linen etc for starters as not quite same (also wanted to have some new smaller bits as we have all the big bits to get when we settle) so raided M & S sale and now have my new towels etc at the ready

T x
I have asked similar questions myself and the general consensus seems to be to take as much as you can afford to ship. We are taking the complete household but like you are sorting out all the junk stuff and trying to whittle it all down.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

garybaxter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Not wanting to hijack the thread but I have a similar question.

Wood furniture. I've been given the impression that taking wood to Aus is a bit of a nightmare, is that correct? Do we need to get it certified as safe or something?

Ta

GB
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by garybaxter
Hi,

Not wanting to hijack the thread but I have a similar question.

Wood furniture. I've been given the impression that taking wood to Aus is a bit of a nightmare, is that correct? Do we need to get it certified as safe or something?

Ta

GB
Good question.
my friends from Melbourne worked in Singapore- bought wooden furniture, Rosewood, Indonesian wood, then moved to uk for 2 yrs and are now on their way back this very week to Melbourne with said furniture. So perhaps you only need to declare it?
H
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

I took loads of wood and wicker furniture - just declared it on forms from shippers and all OK. Quarantine will check and treat what they deem necessary

Agree with take what you can afford - we made mistake of leaving behind basics such as linen basket, ironing board - realised when we got to Oz we didn't have the spare cash to go out and buy all these items again!
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 5:35 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by Swifts

T x
Take the washing machine - unless it's on it's last legs. Apparently frount loaders are very expensive - Am I sad or what ???

Jill

Old Jan 22nd 2004, 5:56 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Leave the tv and video, unless you want to pay to have them converted to Aus PAL.

I`m wondering about fridges.... take? leave?
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

When we had shipping quoters round (is there such a word as 'quoters'?...anyway...) we asked about wooden items. If I remember rightly, the reason (given to us) why some things were okay and others weren't, was down to whether they'd been treated in a certain way.

As a result, the only things (for us) that couldn't be taken was wicker stuff (although I noticed HiddenPaw took wicker stuff in without problem.) Everything else was fine.

We also left the TV but took the washing machine (yep, frontloader) and fridge (and freezer).

Do a search on here and you'll find loads of posts outlining the factors to consider when deciding whether to take a particular item.

Last edited by young_lad; Jan 22nd 2004 at 6:13 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
Take the washing machine - unless it's on it's last legs. Apparently frount loaders are very expensive - Am I sad or what ???

Jill
Does a top loader make a difference?
( Genuine reply, not being sarkey ).
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 7:30 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Stormz
I`m wondering about fridges.... take? leave?
we have just bought a brand new fridge and in the booklet it said something along the lines of it will only work effectively in an environmental temp of less than 35 degrees!!!
Would imagine oz fridges are designed to work in high temps??

dunno really, just guessing...

sue
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:13 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
I took loads of wood and wicker furniture - just declared it on forms from shippers and all OK. Quarantine will check and treat what they deem necessary

Agree with take what you can afford - we made mistake of leaving behind basics such as linen basket, ironing board - realised when we got to Oz we didn't have the spare cash to go out and buy all these items again!
Did you actually take wicker furniture? I've got some lovely chest of drawers with wicker drawers - I thought I would have to ditch them? What about seagrass stuff?

Max
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Top loaders just agitate the clothes around in the dirty water, also they damage stuff more as it gets tangled round the pole in the centre.
My clothes come out less clean looking than in the UK- they just seem duller somehow, and I've had a shirt ripped. All the Blokes clothes look dull and lose their bright colours quickly, and I guess tis down to this poxy top loader.
I'm totally undomesticated, but have now resorted to doing most of my washing by hand and only throw stuff I'm not so fussed about into the machine.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:29 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally posted by Pollyana
Top loaders just agitate the clothes around in the dirty water, also they damage stuff more as it gets tangled round the pole in the centre.
My clothes come out less clean looking than in the UK- they just seem duller somehow, and I've had a shirt ripped. All the Blokes clothes look dull and lose their bright colours quickly, and I guess tis down to this poxy top loader.
I'm totally undomesticated, but have now resorted to doing most of my washing by hand and only throw stuff I'm not so fussed about into the machine.
And I thought my brothers families clothes looked shabby because they'd been bleached by the sun...! didnt think it was the washer...
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Some of it is probably down to the sun - and thats what I blamed for the Blokes clothes at first; then I started looking at mine - coming out grey instead of white!
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:44 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally posted by Pollyana
Some of it is probably down to the sun - and thats what I blamed for the Blokes clothes at first; then I started looking at mine - coming out grey instead of white!
Sounds silly but it aint summit Im looking forward to..my clothes looking shite...I'd already resolved to turn em inside out when washing/drying

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.