Cleaning Tool

Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:45 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Cleaning Tool

Is it worth the effort.....

I have 2 socket sets and a load of spanners, as well as other garage tools. They have about 20 years worth of oil, and general crud on them. Will I be able to get them clean enough on a Sunday afternoon?

Also I have a mig welder, again covered in several years of general garage crap, from building a kit car. Is it worth cleaning it? or should I sell it? Will I use it again in Oz? AAAAGGGHH:curse:

I've already decided to bin a few tolls (old and knackered ones).....

This is such a painful process - I need paracetamol...
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:51 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cleaning Tool

Originally Posted by MarkMC
Is it worth the effort.....

I have 2 socket sets and a load of spanners, as well as other garage tools. They have about 20 years worth of oil, and general crud on them. Will I be able to get them clean enough on a Sunday afternoon?

Also I have a mig welder, again covered in several years of general garage crap, from building a kit car. Is it worth cleaning it? or should I sell it? Will I use it again in Oz? AAAAGGGHH:curse:

I've already decided to bin a few tolls (old and knackered ones).....

This is such a painful process - I need paracetamol...
they aint intrested in oil n grease mate its more seeds and organic matter
i didnt bother cleaning any of my tools more than a quick wipe with a clean rag
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

cpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nice

My husbands a chippie. We hired a container ourselves and arranged all the shipping.We even packed our own container including an animal trailer right in the front. My husband didn't even so much as dust any of his many tools.The only thing they took were some old christmas decorations - pine cones.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

HazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant future

I've basically given all my tools a quick wipe, a squirt with WD40 and put them into a cleaned out toolbox. I don't think they're too fussed about grease, oil and rust. If you do a quick calc on how much it would cost to replace them all with new stuff it soons adds up. It's probably worth taking the MIG if you can get it reasonably clean - especially if you have spare room in the container.

I might have gone over the top with the garden tools but I though it was better to be safe than sorry. Gave them all a good scrub, had a go at any rust with a wire brush and gave them a quick coat of silver hammerite. Again, if you work out how much it would cost to replace them all it is worth while.

Cheers,

Stuart
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

nicknic will become famous soon enough

for my spanners and sokets etc etc

wait untill the wife goes out stick it all in the dishwasher

spray with wd40 job done.

Ha Ha dont tell the wife
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:45 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nicknic

Ha Ha dont tell the wife
Yeah but that means emptying all the clean plates out 1st..... Cant be seen to do that, she will expect it every day..... Unless I load them back in again afterwards.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:46 am
Just Joined

perthbounder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve`o
they aint intrested in oil n grease mate its more seeds and organic matter
i didnt bother cleaning any of my tools more than a quick wipe with a clean rag
yeah must admit i just use a clean rag, its usually the curtain. just roll off n give it a quick wipe
Old Feb 27th 2008, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

I know you guys are talking cleaning tools but is it ok to take tools out to OZ?

You know the ones you men keep in YOUR sheds the ones that makes holes in the walls and the thing you cut up bits of wood (for no reason other than put it on the bonfire) the nail bangger in a thing etc.

Don't know why you have all these thing and spend hours 'tidying' YOUR sheds when we can do the job with a heel of a shoe and a dinner knife, right I'll get back to MY dishwasher and wait for your replys.

Thanks

Tina x
Old Feb 27th 2008, 1:58 pm
Curse you aqua scum

PaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by nicknic

Ha Ha dont tell the wife
I am the wife and I like to idea of that formy OH's tools - I won't tell him though!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

nicknic will become famous soon enough

Hi Tina

glad to hear you know where your place is

kithen washing cooking and all that sort of thing

can you have word with the OH and tell her where she should be

thanks
Old Feb 27th 2008, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

Don't forget behind the foreskin!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 3:35 pm
mmmmmm duff

Just looked in the dishwasher to evaluate the space/layout, there are 3 pots in there all the same size, but 2 of them are full of holes in the bottom.... Hows that work then? I shut the door quick before I get blamed for being over zealous with the drill.