Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cleaning shoes for container / quarantine inspection - experiences ?

Cleaning shoes for container / quarantine inspection - experiences ?

Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

KatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cleaning shoes for container / quarantine inspection - experiences ?

Sitting here for hours trying to get our shoes "squeaky clean", with toothbrush and soap, however there still seems to be tiny bits of sand or dirt within the soles here and there. Don't get me started concerning our tennis shoes - tiny red sand bits everywhere.

Has anyone experience how clean the shoes have to be when they arrive in Australia (in Brisbane actually) ?

I don't want to pay lots of money for a "special" treatment for our shoes from the quarantine authorities.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Katie
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:18 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cleaning shoes for container / quarantine inspection - experiences ?

Originally Posted by KatieLilly
Sitting here for hours trying to get our shoes "squeaky clean", with toothbrush and soap, however there still seems to be tiny bits of sand or dirt within the soles here and there. Don't get me started concerning our tennis shoes - tiny red sand bits everywhere.

Has anyone experience how clean the shoes have to be when they arrive in Australia (in Brisbane actually) ?

I don't want to pay lots of money for a "special" treatment for our shoes from the quarantine authorities.

Katie
Something else I need to add to my to do list. I never even thought to do that, yet I have spent days cleaning things in the garage. Oh dear! Shippers come in two week!!! Maybe I will just buy new shoes
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Cleaning shoes for container / quarantine inspection - experiences ?

Originally Posted by Vernons
Something else I need to add to my to do list. I never even thought to do that, yet I have spent days cleaning things in the garage. Oh dear! Shippers come in two week!!! Maybe I will just buy new shoes

hi i am putting the lawn mower through the dish washer it really cleans it well and no we are getting rid of the dish washer:scared:
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:35 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatieLilly

Katie
Hi Katie

To be honest we werent that fussy with ours at all. Gave them a good scrub so that they looked clean but certainly didnt go as far as using a toothbrush. I would relax about it - I'm sure they'll be fine.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Jayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant future

HI there

I didn't even think about shoes and we were fine - the only thing customs pulled out of our container was a Xmas wreath that had pine cones on (to be honest didn't even know we packed it) they wanted it heat treated or binned - we chose the bin.

Everything else saled through and we had lots of walking boats I never even thought to clean, you'll be right just make sure any outdoor furniture is all clean.

Good luck with your travels

Jayne
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

sunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant future

Same experience here, didn't clean anything but the muddy wellies and they didn't pickup on the pair of kids boots that were covered in mud!
Some people seem to get a bit anal about it all, I really wouldn't bother, just give any muddy ones a scrub.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Same experience as the others. Just made sure they weren't covered in mud and they never got checked.
Got a bit lazy with my bike though - took it to bike shop for 2 new tyres!!!!!
Kaz x
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

sunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by karenjc
Got a bit lazy with my bike though - took it to bike shop for 2 new tyres!!!!!
Kaz x
Brilliant idea, wish I'd thought of it!!